Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Dakar's Halo 3 Thread

Dakar's Halo 3 Thread (Page 4)
Dakar the Fourth  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 31, 2007, 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
Remember, I've been mastering this game since Halo 1 came out on the xbox.
Wait, and you're not a 50? Also, you must be really strong to have owned and carried the old XBOX (That joke will never die). And it also explains why great tosses like this went right through you:

BTW, that's my pic of the day for the rest of you folks out there.

You've got some skills, and that whacky Epitaph level was pretty interesting. You certainly got the best of me multiple times and I had difficulty finding you before you found me.
Well, I'm honored. I've polished it a bit since we played. It should be important to note that what I lack in actual combat skills I try to make up for in strategizing.

A much harder level to hide on, Guardian is! I thoroughly enjoyed this game because I love Guardian, and I kicked ass. Seriously though, you evaded me well more than once and I seem to remember a full-court grenade exploding in my lips.
I dunno about harder to hide on, but much harder to be surprised on. And if I'd remember to upload it to the server, I have a film clip to add to the discussion myself.

-----

Onto more regular talk, The Matchmaking servers were down again last night. It's a good thing I'm not paying for this, or I might be pissed. Oh...

Also, my much self-hyped Sandtrap level raped a bunch of unfortunates last night, leading me to the conclusion that I need a much more newb friendly/simpler variant -- people not used to BTB or Vehicles just aren't thriving on there.

Lastly, I think I'll be taking a break from Halo, with exception to whatever we organize on here, until the ranked BTB playlist comes out. I was given Fable for Christmas, and picked up PGR4 this weekend, and I'm enjoying both thus far immensely.

dustrho
Forum Regular
Dec 31, 2007, 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by Dakar the Fourth View Post
Lastly, I think I'll be taking a break from Halo, with exception to whatever we organize on here, until the ranked BTB playlist comes out. I was given Fable for Christmas, and picked up PGR4 this weekend, and I'm enjoying both thus far immensely.
I played Halo 3 once since picking up COD4. I almost feel a little bit bad for not playing the game, and I swear I can hear the damn thing calling for me while I'm shooting my M16. It's saying, "Put down that measely weapon, and put the almighty BR in your hands instead. You know it will be a more pleasurable experience for you."

Chris Rhoads / Forum Admin & Webmaster of Sandtroopers.com

Dakar the Fourth  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 31, 2007, 11:10 AM

I'd also like to thank Microsoft for not allowing guests to use mics online. I could at least sympathize with the idea during matchmaking, but barring them from talking during custom gamed is just downright bullshit.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Dec 31, 2007, 03:32 PM

Tru dat, yo.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Dec 31, 2007, 03:38 PM

Wait, and you're not a 50?
Workin' on it, jerk.

BTW, that's my pic of the day for the rest of you folks out there.
Heh, you can find all sorts of mistakes with the theater mode, I've gotten several headshots that never counted.

Well, I'm honored. I've polished it a bit since we played. It should be important to note that what I lack in actual combat skills I try to make up for in strategizing.
I guess that's what i meant to say in my previous post. You lack the face to face quick thumbs battling skills but you outpaced me and snuck up behind me more than a few times.

I dunno about harder to hide on, but much harder to be surprised on. And if I'd remember to upload it to the server, I have a film clip to add to the discussion myself.
Do tell

My buddy loved Fable for Xbox, but the load times ruined the game for me. I to have taken a small break from H3 to focus on Forza 2 once again...maybe in a few days I'll pick up COD4 and start wasting my life on that game.

Dakar the Fourth  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 31, 2007, 03:51 PM

Heh, you can find all sorts of mistakes with the theater mode--
SILENCE!

You lack the face to face quick thumbs battling skills but you outpaced me and snuck up behind me more than a few times.
This is probably why I get better the more people on my team. Also why I'm more likely to lead my team in K/D than kills.

My buddy loved Fable for Xbox, but the load times ruined the game for me.
Yep, wandering around aimlessly results in a lot of waiting. I sincerely hope that they find a way to reduce this problem in the sequel.

I to have taken a small break from H3 to focus on Forza 2 once again...maybe in a few days I'll pick up COD4 and start wasting my life on that game.
I have a feeling this thread will be put on hold and reconvene in Mid-January.

klb5090
Mac Elite
Jan 1, 2008, 01:27 PM

Finally christmas break has given me the time to finish off the achievements.

Dakar the Fourth  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 3, 2008, 09:57 AM

Yeah, I hate you.

Anyway, I'd have that movie for you guys today, but for some reason it didn't upload even though I put it on my fileshare. I'll blame Live's sterling quality.

Also, it's been over 72 hours since I played Halo 3. A personal record.

Dakar the Fourth  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 3, 2008, 10:02 AM

Oh yeah, here's your pic for the day. My Sandtrap Variant, where a little bit of rape is occurring.

Whoever says the Hornet is overpowered is right. I got my first Running Riot with that thing.

Oh, and I'm proud we got to 4 pages.

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 3, 2008, 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by klb5090 View Post

Finally christmas break has given me the time to finish off the achievements.
Nice! I have set a goal to complete most or all achievements pretty soon. Can't wait for the sweet armor.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jan 3, 2008, 02:17 PM

The Hornet is silly powerful, and about 100x more maneuverable than the banshee.

Dakar the Fourth  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 3, 2008, 02:25 PM

The Hornet is silly powerful, and about 100x more maneuverable than the banshee.
The only thing the Banshee has is its tricks to shake missile pods (and splatter ability, I suppose), and that just isn't enough.

I dunno, the Hornet is overpowered but it seems like the idiots I'm playing with haven't figured out how to take it down when there's lasers, missile pods, gauss hogs, and a tank on the map (Well, not quickly, at least). I really want to get a group of good players together to play this map, because I think it'd be hard to keep one in the air when there's plenty of the mentioned weapons to destroy them with.

Anyway, in an effort to make things easier/obvious for the noobs, I moved the lasers to the party spawn points. Now if you die, you're likely to spawn by one of weapons to avenge yourself with.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jan 3, 2008, 03:18 PM

You fill a party and I'll try my best with the Spartan Laser

Dakar the Fourth  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 3, 2008, 03:25 PM

Yeah, filling a party is not my strength.

Chips G
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 3, 2008, 04:16 PM

I'll play.
This signature is obsolete.

Dakar the Fourth  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 3, 2008, 04:23 PM

I'm going home tonight and going to try and get my fileshare working. I opened up a slot to put the map on, so I'll post the link here. It'll be more enjoyable if you guys can take a look at the map beforehand, and maybe you'll have an idea or two for tweaks, not that I'll listen. (The turrets come to mind -- no one uses them)

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 3, 2008, 04:58 PM

Andallray is my gamer tag, if anyone wants to add me to their friends and invite me when they see me on. I'm on the west coast, and I usually play on the weeknights from 7:00 - whenever (PST).

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jan 3, 2008, 05:17 PM

I have no work tommorrow, I will be available from now until like 3.

Dakar the Fourth  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 3, 2008, 05:18 PM

I should be online later tonight, assuming I don't pass out as soon as I get home and don't wake up will morning.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jan 3, 2008, 05:27 PM

I demand you make that map available for download, and also demand you send it to me so I don't have to look for it.

Dakar the Fourth  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 3, 2008, 05:29 PM

Links will be put up, Sparky. It will be released simultaneously with a film of me pwning you.*
*pwn may involve 100% luck

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jan 3, 2008, 05:42 PM

"Actual pwn may not match photo"

Dakar the Fourth  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 3, 2008, 05:43 PM

Yeah, I hope you analyze the **** out of the movie.

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 3, 2008, 07:33 PM

Looking forward to seeing your film clip. I'll post one when get home later tonight.

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

Dakar the Fourth  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 3, 2008, 11:48 PM

Originally Posted by Stogieman View Post
Looking forward to seeing your film clip. I'll post one when get home later tonight.
The only thing noteworthy about it, is that I did it to sek.

...and you can find it here.

Finally, my Sandtrap (War) map variant (Slot 2).

Of note on the map:
2 regular Hogs
2 Gauss Hogs
2 Banshees
2 Ghosts
2 Hornets
1 Scorpion Tank (Does not spawn immediately)
3 Sniper Rifles, two in special locations
3 Missile Pods, one in a special location
3 Spartan Lasers, one at each Party Spawn Point, and one hidden
3 Particle Beams
2 Gravity Hammers
1 Energy Sword, hidden
Lots of Rocket Launchers, including one on each Elephant
Lots of grenades
Lots of equipment
Various other uninteresting weapons
and 3 Teleporters.

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 4, 2008, 12:06 AM

Here's my clip from playing CTF on Valhalla. I jumped in the man cannon and chucked a plasma grenade over the hill while I was still in mid air. It stuck to a warthog and killed the driver, PooPStains101. Poor guy didn't see it coming.

Lucky grenade toss

Dakar the Fourth  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 4, 2008, 10:04 AM

Well, I did make it on briefly last night and god, what a disaster. A buddy was on with his brother-in-law and sister, and the BIL had just gotten the game and they made an account so the sister could play too. At risk of sounding like a hypocrite, I'm really sick of playing with noobs and girls. The game is too easy and I feel guilty sending someone to their death without any trouble. Not to mention they ruin the balance of the game, because they become free scores...

Anyway, my buddy had the poor judgement to request my Sandtrap variant, which in retrospect was even dumber considering the two new players probably never played Sandtrap or big team. Knowing severe pwnage was a head, I elected to split off from my usual teammate and go solo (This is only kinda fair).

I opened up with 6 straight kills thanks to the Hornet, but I was surprisingly taken out. Turns out moving the lasers to the main spawn points was definitely what the game needed. From then on out, ppl started dropping like flies and I had to finish the map 1v1, thankfully against one of the better players. I checked bungie and the game was recorded all screwed up, somehow we played to 50, yet bungie records us as having dropped right before the 20 minute mark (BTW, the game lasted 56 minutes. I wanted to die...)

Still a few good moves did happen, and I definitely think the level has improved (Next up: Make the turrets relevant).

Oh, and your pic for the day:

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jan 6, 2008, 09:14 PM

Yeah, I hope you analyze the **** out of the movie.
Well, I was standing pretty still, but it was a good toss nonetheless.

I'm currently still in the process of remaking Guardian as an all-out battle arena, current version (2.0, I guess) can be queued from HERE.

I played two* games today with Dakar and he thoroughly impressed me with his killing skills. Basically, I haven't played in a week and Dakar got the proverbial business done without me.

*It would have been three games but shenanigans prevailed.

boy8cookie
Mac Elite
Jan 6, 2008, 09:56 PM

I'd love to get in on some of these games... gamer tag is 'already more'

Dakar the Fourth  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 7, 2008, 10:48 AM

Well, I was standing pretty still, but it was a good toss nonetheless.
Only because I unwittingly distracted you with my first throw.

I played two* games today with Dakar and he thoroughly impressed me with his killing skills. Basically, I haven't played in a week and Dakar got the proverbial business done without me.
Well that's somewhat overstating things. I hadn't played a serious game of Slayer in a week or two and Narrows is the bane of my existence. I basically spent the 6 minutes of the match running around like a chicken with its head cut off.

The next one was a little better, but I'm none too fond of Isolation either. If only we had gotten that third game, we could have played Construct, and my agony would have complete*.

*I have nothing against Construct per se, but my K/D there tells another story

*It would have been three games but shenanigans prevailed.
I'm beginning to imagine you as Ben Affleck's character from Good Will Hunting. I waiting for you to look at our party in the post-game lobby and be like, "You're suspect! Yeah, you! I don't know what your reputation is in this town but after the **** you tried to pull today you can bet I'll be looking into you. Now...Good day gentlemen and until that day comes, keep your ear to the grindstone."

Dakar the Fourth  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 11, 2008, 11:57 AM

Anyone going to be on this weekend? With having completed most of Fable, being a little spent on PGR, and Ranked BTB a week away, I feel like I should start getting myself back into game shape.

dustrho
Forum Regular
Jan 11, 2008, 02:02 PM

There's a slight chance I'll be playing Halo this weekend. With all the NFL playoffs going on, it'll be hard to find Xbox 360 playing time. If anyone sees me online playing Halo, send me an invite.

Chris Rhoads / Forum Admin & Webmaster of Sandtroopers.com

mutelight
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 14, 2008, 07:50 AM

Dual 2.66Ghz Xeon Woodrcrests // 8800GT 512MB // 30" Apple Cinema Display // 8GB RAM // Samsung Galaxy Nexus LTE // 64GB iPad LTE Verizon // Home Theater

Dakar the Fourth  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 14, 2008, 10:41 AM

Greetings everyone, and **** Mondays.

Got some play in this weekend, and boooooy am I rusty. I did get a few 10+ wheelman games on BTB though, so not all was lost.

Tell me, am I the only person that hates the Covies variants? Its tolerable on Vahalla, but on Sandtrap its just a mess. That and the lack of lasers is an absolute joke. What were they thinking? "I know the Ghosts move faster than Warthogs, so lets replace the Laser with a weapon that moves slower than God -- the Rockets."

If anyone read bungie's weekly update, I have the distinct feeling Ranked BTB may not be as near as previously thought (The end of this week). We'll see.

And you pic for the day:

Dakar the Fourth  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 14, 2008, 02:05 PM

Oh yeah, two points I forgot to touch upon.

First, I heard a rumor that there's an outside chance GoldenEye might come to Live ARcade (with upgraded graphics, no less). For some reaosn it occurred to me that while I hought this was the first FPS I kicked ass at, it was actually Faceball 2000 where I wrecked some people for a very brief period. I remember I picked up way faster than anyone new. My current Halo Emblem is an homage to it.

Second, I had one of the most fun/exciting deathmatches this weekend. Me and I buddy, one-on-one on Epitaph, no radar. We were so tight it was ridiculous. I physically jumped from one attack while I was camped on the upper level once. My buddy was tense the entire game. At one point I went through a shield door and backed my way to the corner while surveying the room -- just my luck my buddy was hiding in that corner and assassinated me. At another point we passed each other without realizing it as I walked in front of him cloaked.

Highlight of the night: Me walking on the upper level, hear his footsteps behind me and turn around and find him -- quite to his surprise. It's an interesting twist to play using audio clues in place of the radar. Would love to try this again with some of you bozos sometime.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jan 14, 2008, 02:23 PM

God help us if GoldenEye makes it to Arcade.

Dakar the Fourth  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 14, 2008, 02:32 PM

Joy followed by Disappointment!

XBLA GoldenEye Was Real, Nearly Done, Now Dead

You may want to re-inforce your hearts before continuing. According to 1UP, an XBLA version of Rare's classic N64 shooter GoldenEye wasn't a rumour. It was real. It was a faithful port, with the same graphics, sound, etc. It would even have featured multiplayer over XBLA. However, only two months from completion, Microsoft and Nintendo couldn't agree on how they were going to split the proceeds, and the project was ****-canned. Game over. For those looking for a glimmer of hope, 1UP reckon the only way to salvage the project is to complain. Loudly.

Crap.

Also, when are you and I gaming together again?

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jan 14, 2008, 02:34 PM

I dunno, has matchmaking gotten it's ass in gear yet?

Also, SUCKS about GE64

Dakar the Fourth  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 14, 2008, 02:38 PM

Matchmaking was mostly decent this weekend. Occasionally you'll get those phantom games from a restart search both otherwise not bad.

Is it me, or is your (g) roommate way better than you?

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jan 14, 2008, 02:40 PM

Cheezydog you mean?

Edit: If you're looking at the last games I played then the guest was my buddy Cheezy, but he doesn't live with me. Also, yes, he is much better than me.

Dakar the Fourth  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 14, 2008, 02:42 PM

No, I assumed whoever you have logged as (g) was a roommate. I was looking through your slayer games from this weekend and he was consistently getting a better k/d if not more kills.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jan 14, 2008, 02:44 PM

Yup, you missed my edit.

He's a 43, and a maniac once he gets going. You must've noticed that I was 2nd place almost every game. Also we won every game but a single slayer match out of, like, 11 games that we played on Friday.

Dakar the Fourth  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 14, 2008, 02:48 PM

Too lazy to recover his gamertag? That's the guy I met briefly when Live was sucking it and then you molested me for a couple games.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jan 14, 2008, 03:47 PM

Kinda, his 360 died (d'uh) and Best Buy hasn't had any in stock.

Dakar the Fourth  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 14, 2008, 03:48 PM

Oh man. That is for sucks.
Don't ask.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jan 14, 2008, 04:00 PM

What?
Deal with it

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 15, 2008, 07:27 AM

Tell me, am I the only person that hates the Covies variants? Its tolerable on Vahalla, but on Sandtrap its just a mess. That and the lack of lasers is an absolute joke. What were they thinking? "I know the Ghosts move faster than Warthogs, so lets replace the Laser with a weapon that moves slower than God -- the Rockets."
I agree with you 100%. The only way I can hit a Ghost is if they're trying to splatter me head on. Here's your pick of the day.

Dakar the Fourth  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 15, 2008, 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by Stogieman View Post
Here's your pic of the day.
Thanks for saving me the work today.

How long has Covies been around? 1 month? It comes up so damn much I just noticed the Ghost is my weapon of choice on Valhalla and Sandtrap now, much to my chagrin.

OH and I had a situation on BTB last night where Big Team Slayer on Sandtrap got vetoed. Are people retarded?

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jan 15, 2008, 02:25 PM

I'm now a 42, hooray!

Dakar the Fourth  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 16, 2008, 12:32 PM

I'm now a 42, hooray!
Yeah, like I need more reasons to hate you. I've actually regressed a bit, if my play with friends last night is any indication.

To beat a dead horse, we played my Sandtrap variant again last night, though with only 6 guys we used my n00b version (only 1 Hornet, Wraith instead of Scorpion). It had been so long that I forgot about the sniper tower and got missile pod'd to Hell on my first vehicle. All that aside it was a sweet game. Couple of lead changes, and a photo finish.

So obviously, I now think it's even awesomer and will be changing my file share to reflect such.

No pic for the day, I'm swamped here at work.

Forum Links
Forum Rules