Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Grand Theft Auto IV

Grand Theft Auto IV (Page 5)
Mac User #001
Mac Elite
Apr 30, 2008, 11:05 AM

I thought Dakar pre-ordered the game? And a lot of you are just picking it up at Best Buy or GameStop or some place else?

So by pre-ordering he's actually getting the game later than everyone else? Interesting...
I have returned... 2020 MacBook Air - 1.1 GHz Quad-Core i5 - 16 GB RAM

Dakar the Fourth  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 30, 2008, 11:14 AM

This is amazon's fault.

I've actually spent the morning browsing for google to see if other people are having these problems. I'd say out 10 people who did free shipping, only 1-2 haven't had it ship yet. Even better are some that claim to have had it ship Saturday or Monday.

Depending on it's shipping status on Amazon at the end of my work day today, I may just go to the local gamestop after work today and see if I can pick it up. Then I'll just return the copy from SE box or sell it to a friend who isn't as gung-ho as I am.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Apr 30, 2008, 11:27 AM

I hate you guys...might have to take a trip to my local gaming-emporium...

ajprice
Professional Poster
Apr 30, 2008, 11:46 AM

PS3 Grand Theft Auto IV is 640p, nobody cares - Joystiq

The PS3 has 80 less p than the 360 version, and still looks (at least*) as good as the 360 version.

*Disclaimer, it may or may not look better, I don't know, it's just what I've heard kthxbai...

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

Dakar the Fourth  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 30, 2008, 11:48 AM

I wonder why. But yeah, it doesn't matter, Halo 3 runs at 640p as well, looks fine.

Nodnarb
Mac Elite
Apr 30, 2008, 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by Dakar the Fourth View Post
This is amazon's fault.

I've actually spent the morning browsing for google to see if other people are having these problems. I'd say out 10 people who did free shipping, only 1-2 haven't had it ship yet. Even better are some that claim to have had it ship Saturday or Monday.

Depending on it's shipping status on Amazon at the end of my work day today, I may just go to the local gamestop after work today and see if I can pick it up. Then I'll just return the copy from SE box or sell it to a friend who isn't as gung-ho as I am.

That's exactly what I'm doing. My GF bought it for my for my birthday (pre-ordered) and the delivery date isn't until much later this week; we went to best buy, and they had tons in stock.

I'm just gonna either return it to best buy when I get the other one, or sell it to a friend tax free for $60.

Lovin the game.

starman
Clinically Insane
Apr 30, 2008, 12:51 PM

Here's something that really pissed me off.

I don't know if it's in IV, but in VC you could get some kind of reward for being a good samaritan IIRC. So I'm chasing this guy in IV and I'm ahead of the cop. Somehow I turned a corner, bumped into the cop SLIGHTLY, and now the cop's pissed at ME. WTF? Just from bumping into him? Now I have my map radius all lit up nice and red and I'm getting shot at.

Flaws like this annoy me.

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

jokell82
Professional Poster
Apr 30, 2008, 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by starman View Post
Here's something that really pissed me off.

I don't know if it's in IV, but in VC you could get some kind of reward for being a good samaritan IIRC. So I'm chasing this guy in IV and I'm ahead of the cop. Somehow I turned a corner, bumped into the cop SLIGHTLY, and now the cop's pissed at ME. WTF? Just from bumping into him? Now I have my map radius all lit up nice and red and I'm getting shot at.

Flaws like this annoy me.
That's odd. I was in a chase mission earlier and nailed a cop and didn't even get a single star. I thought for sure I was done for...

All glory to the hypnotoad.

Mac User #001
Mac Elite
Apr 30, 2008, 01:40 PM

I'm always getting screwed on SA when I bump in to a cop on the ground or on the street.

And I don't get why I can't help a cop take down the bad guy!
( Last edited by Mac User #001; Apr 30, 2008 at 05:12 PM. )

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Apr 30, 2008, 01:40 PM

Since I wasn't going to stop anyhow...

Nice when you steal a car with a GPS the car will actually tell to you and tell you when to turn left and right.

Has anyone ever had him go to the bar? When you leave you are so twisted the controls wack out and the vision is blurry as hell. You have to call a taxi to drive you and your speech is so messed up they never stop. It's hilarious. I could even walk across the street to catch the cab I had to just sit there for a minute to get it together.

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Apr 30, 2008, 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by Mac User #001 View Post
And I don't get why I can't help a cop take down the bad guy!
Steal his car and you can help out the cops

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 30, 2008, 01:41 PM

I'm also pretty bad at driving. I am getting better though. I'm so used to Halo driving that this game is really throwing me off. But I'm loving the game so far. I'm taking my time and trying to do all of the missions that I can find.

Dakar the Fourth  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 30, 2008, 01:44 PM

The pressure is on for me to deliver, as a self-proclaimed wheelman.

Nodnarb
Mac Elite
Apr 30, 2008, 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by jokell82 View Post
That's odd. I was in a chase mission earlier and nailed a cop and didn't even get a single star. I thought for sure I was done for...
Yeah, same here, I slammed into a cop car and didn't get a thing.
Originally Posted by exca1ibur View Post
Has anyone ever had him go to the bar? When you leave you are so twisted the controls wack out and the vision is blurry as hell. You have to call a taxi to drive you and your speech is so messed up they never stop. It's hilarious. I could even walk across the street to catch the cab I had to just sit there for a minute to get it together.
Yelling for a cab drunk is great. "YALLLOW CARRRRRRR... STOP YALLOWW CARRRRRR!!!"

I was laughing so hard.

Dakar the Fourth  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 30, 2008, 02:03 PM

moep
Senior User
Apr 30, 2008, 02:09 PM

I've played it for 2 hours now, quite cool. Little Jacob alone is worth the money I've spent on this game.

The framerates on my Xbox take a dive to 10-15 fps quite often, it's not extreme enough to impact gameplay but noticable and — for me — quite annoying. Furthermore there's zero anti-aliasing and the game definitely can't run in 1080p, but hey, it still looks good thanks to plenty of polygons, awesome animations, detailed textures and sweet lightning/shader effects.

Still have to get used to the car handling (what the heck is up with the brake? I'm aware there's a handbrake but the car doesn't turn *at all* when braking while steering.)
"The road to success is dotted with the most tempting parking spaces."

jokell82
Professional Poster
Apr 30, 2008, 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by moep View Post
I've played it for 2 hours now, quite cool. Little Jacob alone is worth the money I've spent on this game.

The framerates on my Xbox take a dive to 10-15 fps quite often, it's not extreme enough to impact gameplay but noticable and — for me — quite annoying. Furthermore there's zero anti-aliasing and the game definitely can't run in 1080p, but hey, it still looks good thanks to plenty of polygons, awesome animations, detailed textures and sweet lightning/shader effects.

Still have to get used to the car handling (what the heck is up with the brake? I'm aware there's a handbrake but the car doesn't turn *at all* when braking while steering.)
Very few games actually run at 1080p - most on the 360 run at 720p or lower. GTA IV on the PS3 actually runs at a lower resolution, 630p, but you can't really see a difference in person.

moep
Senior User
Apr 30, 2008, 02:32 PM

Very few games actually run at 1080p - most on the 360 run at 720p or lower. GTA IV on the PS3 actually runs at a lower resolution, 630p, but you can't really see a difference in person.
Yeah, I've followed the thread linked above now. Guess I'll have to wait for the next generation for true 1080p

Xbox: 720p, 2x MSAA
PS3: 640p, 0x MSAA

However the PS3 version appears to utilize special post processing filters around object edges to simulate an antialiasing effect. That's why both versions look quite similar.

One question remains, should I let my Xbox or the TV do the upscaling?
( Last edited by moep; Apr 30, 2008 at 02:39 PM. Reason: typo)

Addicted to MacNN
Apr 30, 2008, 02:41 PM

I'm kind of a noob when it comes to HD resolutions and such, but what should I have my Xbox set at for this game? Right now I have it set at 1080p. (I have an LCD TV that does up to 1080p)

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 30, 2008, 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by exca1ibur View Post
I went to a bar, tried to walk and he fell on his face. I laughed out loud.
You can drive home in that state and it's not easy. The entire screen shifts around while you're driving.

boy8cookie
Mac Elite
Apr 30, 2008, 02:47 PM

I bought GTA4 for the multiplayer (stupid?), and from the hours I spent playing it so far, I can say that I'm a little disappointed. I think most of my disappointment stems from the lack of understanding of the game modes by the other players, so that will fix itself. Turf Wars & Cops n Crooks are the two game modes I was most looking forward to, but it seems people can't understand WTF to do and end up just driving around, running over pedestrians. Perhaps after people have finished the campaign the multiplayer will become more attractive and they will learn WTF to do.

I will say the racing is better than any other online racing game I've played, strangely enough.

moep
Senior User
Apr 30, 2008, 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by ::maroma:: View Post
I'm kind of a noob when it comes to HD resolutions and such, but what should I have my Xbox set at for this game? Right now I have it set at 1080p. (I have an LCD TV that does up to 1080p)
According to google: In most cases it's better to let the Xbox scale the image than let the TV do it.
I just tried both options on my Sony KDL-40W3000 and the having the Xbox 720p version makes the image a tad blurrier and softer than with 1080p.

By the way, here's the first easteregg

Dakar the Fourth  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 30, 2008, 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by mdc View Post
You can drive home in that state and it's not easy. The entire screen shifts around while you're driving.
That was my favorite mission from Vice City, and by some odd luck, it happened to be the last one I did, making it all the sweeter.

Did it first try I might add or brag

Nodnarb
Mac Elite
Apr 30, 2008, 03:10 PM

It's way different than the vice city mission (definitely reminiscent of it, however)

Addicted to MacNN
Apr 30, 2008, 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by moep View Post
According to google: In most cases it's better to let the Xbox scale the image than let the TV do it.
I just tried both options on my Sony KDL-40W3000 and the having the Xbox 720p version makes the image a tad blurrier and softer than with 1080p.
Good to know, thanks!

sek929
Posting Junkie
Apr 30, 2008, 04:08 PM

Just went to my local Best Buy and the display was practically falling over with 360 copies.

Expect to see me online in a few minutes

So I guess Dakar, the one most excited about this game, will be the last in this thread to play it. Priceless!

Dakar the Fourth  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 30, 2008, 04:10 PM

Amazingly, it's available at my local Wal•Mart. I expect to be on tonight.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Apr 30, 2008, 04:12 PM

I assume you're going über-geek and getting the special edition, no?

Dakar the Fourth  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 30, 2008, 04:14 PM

To play tonight? Uh, duh. That's what's coming from Amazon.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Apr 30, 2008, 04:15 PM

I'm confused, as usual....

Are you going to get the normal one from Wal•Mart tonight and then pull the ol' switcha-roo once Amazon comes through?

Dakar the Fourth  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 30, 2008, 04:19 PM

*indecipherable answer as to prolong the conversation*

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 30, 2008, 04:28 PM

this game is awesome.
we don't have time to stop for gas

Mac User #001
Mac Elite
Apr 30, 2008, 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
So I guess Dakar, the one most excited about this game, will be the last in this thread to play it. Priceless!
No, no. That would be me. Definitely. In easily a year, if not more. But then I can have 16xQ AA with 1080p if I so choose (Actually, with my current moniter... 1280 x 1024, do they have a name for that?)
Yea, I'm trying to justify it.

Originally Posted by Peter View Post
this game is awesome.
This was funny. It seemed like (if it were a real conversation) you would be trying to break the tension from Dakar avoiding sek's question. Maybe it wasn't.

klb5090
Mac Elite
Apr 30, 2008, 05:54 PM

i think i'm getting addicted to this game...

question for fellow 360 users, the "it'll cost ya" achievement (complete a taxi ride without skipping from one island to another). I took a taxi around town to a location and did not get it, any idea what your supposed to do?

klb5090
Mac Elite
Apr 30, 2008, 05:54 PM

good to see fatty online playing GTA not waiting in the halo 3 lobby for a friend to join,haha

Addicted to MacNN
Apr 30, 2008, 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by klb5090 View Post
i think i'm getting addicted to this game...

question for fellow 360 users, the "it'll cost ya" achievement (complete a taxi ride without skipping from one island to another). I took a taxi around town to a location and did not get it, any idea what your supposed to do?
Did you go to a different island? By the wording it sounds like you have to do that. But I'm not sure. The only achievement I've gotten so far is getting off the boat.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Apr 30, 2008, 06:19 PM

I bet you were like "Hell yeah! Got off the boat, wooo!"

BTW driving isn't that hard, but you certainly can't drive at full speed all the time anymore. The cars have a lot of inertia and a sense of mass in this game. I've uttered a chuckle or two while sliding sideways at full bore.

BTWx2 I completed my first date at the bowling alley! Awesome, I can see myself playing a quick ten frames if I get bored with a certain mission.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Apr 30, 2008, 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by Dakar the Fourth View Post
*indecipherable answer as to prolong the conversation*
I hope the hooker you get a handjob from has warts...

Addicted to MacNN
Apr 30, 2008, 06:42 PM

Hell yeah. I was thinking "damn, getting achievements is going to be easy." But since I have yet to get another, I think I was wrong there.

BTWx2 I completed my first date at the bowling alley! Awesome, I can see myself playing a quick ten frames if I get bored with a certain mission.
Me too! I let her win. My buddy took her out on a second date. Some of advice on the second date: bring a condom.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Apr 30, 2008, 06:45 PM

Did you go to a different island? By the wording it sounds like you have to do that. But I'm not sure. The only achievement I've gotten so far is getting off the boat.
Yep, you have to go from one island to another without skipping the ride (pressing A).

BTW driving isn't that hard, but you certainly can't drive at full speed all the time anymore. The cars have a lot of inertia and a sense of mass in this game. I've uttered a chuckle or two while sliding sideways at full bore.

Hated the bowling game. I thought pool was much better.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Apr 30, 2008, 06:52 PM

Me too! I let her win. My buddy took her out on a second date. Some of advice on the second date: bring a condom.
Not if you decided to go to a bar, get fall down drunk, evade the police, and hit several pedestrians on the way back to her place

boy8cookie
Mac Elite
Apr 30, 2008, 08:44 PM

My second date ended when some guy tried to car jack me and I killed him with the shotgun I happened to be carrying, apparently that scared her.

Mac User #001
Mac Elite
Apr 30, 2008, 08:52 PM

I don't see why. It's Liberty City.

Dakar the Fourth  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 30, 2008, 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by Mac User #001 View Post
No, no. That would be me.
Stogie hasn't thrown his hat into the ring, either.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Apr 30, 2008, 09:51 PM

First day having it and my longest session is a little over 4 hours.

Phew, I can feel the addiction growing.

I already mastered darts, and was able to get the achievement without any problems. Qubed is pretty tough, the high score to beat (for the achievement) is 10,000 and I was only able to get 6K on my first try. Pool is awesome, got that achievement too thanks to Roman scratching the 8-ball after kicking my ass all game. Of course, I went back to bowl and just spent about a half-hour trying to figure out how to get good...my current best score is 153 since I can't seem to stop getting splits.

..and that's just the side-games.

The faster cars handle WAY better. For high speed turning I find a healthy dose of break and e-brake to slow down and then only e-brake to turn works pretty damn well.

Somehow I picked up a shotgun along the way...can't wait till I need it in a mission.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Apr 30, 2008, 09:55 PM

I just noticed Dakar is way farther than me in the story already.....I wonder how late he will end up staying awake

boy8cookie
Mac Elite
Apr 30, 2008, 10:04 PM

The shotgun is a reward for helping Little Jon...err Jacob. It's nice for a couple early missions. Let me know when ya'll are gonna play some multiplayer!

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
May 1, 2008, 12:07 AM

OMG I have never played a game so much in my life. I unlocked the second island and took at chopper joy ride. I can't get over how huge and detailed this world is.

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
May 1, 2008, 12:26 AM

Hated the bowling game. I thought pool was much better.
You're just mad because you didn't bowl a turkey.

Stogie hasn't thrown his hat into the ring, either.
Wa' chu talkin Willis? I picked up my copy last night. I got the same amount of achievements as Maroma.

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

klb5090
Mac Elite
May 1, 2008, 12:43 AM

i never thought i would spend so much time working on the most ridiculous achievement but i'm yet to get two strikes in a row....

Forum Links
Forum Rules