Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Alaska Fishing Job Info Needed

Alaska Fishing Job Info Needed
kremmit
Dec 21, 2004, 08:36 PM

Hi,

I am thinking about working as a fisherman in Alaska this next summer. I hear the people that work on the boats make about $80k in 3 months. Is this true? Anyone know more info about this or where I should work?

Thanks!

Captain Obvious
Professional Poster
Dec 21, 2004, 08:44 PM

Just sign up. Don't even bother to research just call them up and tell them you'll be there.
I am sure it will be fun and Alaska is really pretty, just ask AKcrab. You'll totally fit in with those guys. Go do it, now.

Barack Obama: Four more years of the Carter Presidency

the_glassman
Mac Elite
Dec 21, 2004, 09:51 PM

Dude, you've ever seen the perfect storm? it's like bad karma could hurt maybe even die diving after charlie the tune a. Not worth mad amounts of money if you are swiming with da fishes.

Cubeoid
Baninated
Dec 21, 2004, 09:53 PM

80,000 doollarz in 3 months. Dude. We're there!

edit: www.fishingjobs.com has a lot of info.

alligator
Mac Elite
Dec 21, 2004, 09:57 PM

There's nothing about this online?

TheBadgerHunter
Mac Elite
Dec 21, 2004, 10:20 PM

Just like that tree-planting I'm pretty sure there is a huge catch here.

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 21, 2004, 10:50 PM

Here I am!

You probably won't see 80K in your first year, and probably not for a few years. Most boats pay in a percentage of the catch, with the newest people on the boat getting the smallest percentage. If you stick with a boat for a few seasons, the pay goes up.

That's gillnetting for salmon..

If you're talking about going out crab fishing or longline fishing, the pay might be slightly higher, because that's out in open water and extremely hazardous.

In my oppinion, $80K is a bit high, but the pay is indeed good, assuming the fish come like they are supposed to. The number of returning salmon can vary greatly year to year, and no matter how they try to forecast returns, there is great uncertainty.

The hours are long, the conditions mainly crappy, but the pay is indeed good for a summer job. I would challenge anyone to find a 3 month job that pays better.

Let me know if you've got more questions. I would be interested to know where you would be fishing, and what fish you'ld be fishing for. Kodiak? Bristol Bay? Somewhere way out in the Gulf?

For the record, I went commercial halibut fishing twice. It's not for me.

Forum Links
Forum Rules