Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > what does Junk do?

what does Junk do?
Naz
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 11, 2002, 07:54 PM

stupid me... but I can't work my mail right

does it only highlight the junk mail...?

I mark emails as Junk but it does not Block the address.

What am I doing wrong?

thanks
Nazaire's Art - -- iMac 500 DV SE --- 17" PB

KidRed
Professional Poster
Sep 11, 2002, 08:25 PM

Right now it's probably set to Training. Go to Mail/Junk Mail and see what is checked. You probably want it on training for a while to let is get used to what you concider junk. Then, when you're ready change the setting to Automatic or play with the custom settings.

(hint: helps to play with the app and look around the menus and prefs before starting a thread )
All Your Signature Are Belong To Us!

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 11, 2002, 10:26 PM

But does the Junk filter continue learning after you set it to Automatic? I let Mail train for about 2 weeks. Now it's on Automatic, but if I get new junk mail and I mark it as junk, will the filter remember? Or does it have to be in Training mode to remember?

Chris Grande
Senior User
Sep 11, 2002, 11:36 PM

Originally posted by ::maroma:::
But does the Junk filter continue learning after you set it to Automatic? I let Mail train for about 2 weeks. Now it's on Automatic, but if I get new junk mail and I mark it as junk, will the filter remember? Or does it have to be in Training mode to remember?
Nope, it is always learning. Training won't move anything and only marks it, while in Automatic it is still learning but it moves your messages.

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 12, 2002, 12:46 AM

Originally posted by Chris Grande:

Nope, it is always learning. Training won't move anything and only marks it, while in Automatic it is still learning but it moves your messages.
Coolio. Just what I wanted to hear!

Naz  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 12, 2002, 01:25 AM

Originally posted by KidRed:
Right now it's probably set to Training. Go to Mail/Junk Mail and see what is checked. You probably want it on training for a while to let is get used to what you concider junk. Then, when you're ready change the setting to Automatic or play with the custom settings.

(hint: helps to play with the app and look around the menus and prefs before starting a thread )

Thanks! and good hint
Nazaire's Art - -- iMac 500 DV SE --- 17" PB

eno
Banned
Sep 12, 2002, 08:13 AM

So much for "learning". It doesn't seem to be getting much better as far as I can tell.

Arkham_c
Mac Elite
Sep 12, 2002, 09:31 AM

Originally posted by eno:
So much for "learning". It doesn't seem to be getting much better as far as I can tell.
The algorithm needs hundreds (thousands?) of messages to improve its heuristics. You won't really notice the change unless you get a LOT of spam. Consider adding PostArmor or SpamAssassin into the mix, and you're results will improve.
Mac Pro 2x 2.66 GHz Dual core, Apple TV 160GB, two Windows XP PCs

krove
Mac Elite
Sep 12, 2002, 03:08 PM

I think Apple suggested waiting a month or two before moving to automatic mode, meaning it probably takes that much spam to start really getting it right.

I've been using the feature since I installed Jaguar, and about 2 days ago it really starting catching the majority of messages. A couple still get through, but it is starting to catch more and more (which of course makes me ).

How did it come to this? Goodbye PowerPC. | sensory output

Apfhex
Mac Elite
Sep 12, 2002, 07:33 PM

Huh...I turned Automatic on a day or so after installing Jaguar and it caught almost 100% of my junk mail correctly (and didn't accidentally move any non-junk messages).

Out of, say, 20 junk messages a day, maybe one of them won't get filtered. It's a very good program IMHO.
Mac OS X 10.5.0, Mac Pro 2.66GHz/2 GB RAM/X1900 XT, 23" ACD
esdesign

Forum Links
Forum Rules