Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Rejuvenating my iMac G5 - Ideas?

Rejuvenating my iMac G5 - Ideas?
dsquared
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 2, 2007, 01:16 PM

I've had my 1.6Ghz 17" iMac G5 for quite a while now.

It's getting a little slow and clunky.

These days all I do is just listen to music, chat, surf the net and watch videos and dvds, though I do have at least 2 browsers with a number of tabs, itunes, adium on almost all the time.

It's got 1.25gb of ram and an 80gb hard drive - 2 areas which can be upgraded - I could get another 1gb stick and up the ram to 2gb in total and add a new hard drive.

I start uni in about 10 months, so I don't really want to get a new machine just as yet.

So I'm looking to rejuvenate or refresh my current iMac - to give it a new breath of life, if you will.

Any ideas on what I could do would be much appreciated = )

Thanks in advance!

Veltliner
Mac Elite
Sep 2, 2007, 02:34 PM

As you noticed, iMacs have very limitated upgrade possibilities.

Maxing out your RAM would be the only thing you can do, performance-wise.

You don't seem to be running any particularly demanding software like for advanced photo and video editing.

Maybe you could check your system, hard- and software, if everything is running smoothly.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Sep 2, 2007, 09:49 PM

My 1.8 GHz G5 really perked up at 2Gb of RAM (I went up from 768). If your internal HD is getting full, you should put a bigger one in. OS X uses virtual memory which takes advantage of extra HD space... if you don't have any extra, things can get slow.

MacNNUK
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 2, 2007, 10:06 PM

I find a total re-install, whether planned or not, does the trick on my old G3 !

iMac Intel Core i5, 2.5GHz, 4GB RAM, 500GB 21.5" Monitor 10.8.3.
iMac 17" 2.0ghz Intel Core 2 Duo w 3gb memory (White one) 10.6.8.
Internal 500gb / 8x external HDD's 250GB - 3TB (4x Time Machine)

Veltliner
Mac Elite
Sep 3, 2007, 12:21 AM

For your storage needs, you can get an external hard drive.

Get FireWire400 (if you iMac supports it), it is much faster than USB 2.0.

dsquared  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 4, 2007, 10:43 AM

Thanks for all the input!

RAM and HD sounds like the way to go.

However I'm not sure if I should get an external or replace the HD in my iMac itself - given the error displayed when I try to repair the disk via disk utility on the mac os x install disc.

yall reckon I should replace the HD instead of just going via the external route?

rubaiyat
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 4, 2007, 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
My 1.8 GHz G5 really perked up at 2Gb of RAM (I went up from 768). If your internal HD is getting full, you should put a bigger one in. OS X uses virtual memory which takes advantage of extra HD space... if you don't have any extra, things can get slow.
Spot on.

OSX really responds to extra RAM but as it pages out a lot to your hard drive make sure you have AT LEAST 10% of it free and have as large and fast a drive as practicable.

Nearly all the slow downs I have experienced have been due to the boot volume getting too full and really slowing down the Virtual Memory.
I look forward to a future where the present will be in the past.

Forum Links
Forum Rules