Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > GUI Customization > Apple Announces Dashboard Widget Contest

Apple Announces Dashboard Widget Contest
Makki
Mac Elite
Nov 8, 2004, 10:38 PM

The Apple Developer Connection has launched a contest to kickstart the development of widgets for the forthcoming Dashboard feature of Mac OS X v10.4 Tiger. The developer of the winning widget will receive an Apple 40GB iPod and will receive public recognition. Submissions are being accepted from November 5th through the 30th. The contest is open exclusively to ADC members with access to pre-release versions of Mac OS X v10.4 Tiger.

Click Here

AveTenebrae
Nov 8, 2004, 10:46 PM

wow, a iPod for the works of hundreds of designers, ideas of hundreds of designers. What's a big deal from the big apple... and a really cheap work for us..

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Nov 8, 2004, 11:41 PM

Sounds like a great way to get a bunch of widgets made for when Tiger does hit the public. You'd think they'd have more than one iPod prize though...
click one

mugget
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 9, 2004, 06:59 AM

for once... a competition that i am eligible to enter...

but then they lame it up with only an iPod for a prize?

there must be alot of bored developers sitting out there if Apple thinks they'll get lots of entries for this...

and BTW, how many here are registered there? in actual fact, i can't enter, because i'm not registered on ADC.

AlbanianGenome
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 9, 2004, 07:20 AM

now offering a new iMac would be a different story

cybergoober
Mac Elite
Nov 9, 2004, 09:10 AM

Yeah, a $400 iPod is a lame prize for writing a cheesy little Dashboard widget...

jabackes
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 11, 2004, 01:49 AM

hey, if you guys dont like the prize.. dont enter. its just that simple.. i for one am a student and i would enter, but i have an ipod, and i dont feel like writing a widget right now...

thats just my .02c

Ji Eun
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 11, 2004, 10:10 AM

Originally posted by jabackes:
thats just my .02c
psst... that's $.02

imo, any gui-focused competition (and especially widgets) is good news. glad to see apple trying to drum up some early output for dashboard, and i can't wait to see what the dev's come up with.

12" iBook 1.2ghz / 1.2gb

esXXI
Senior User
Nov 11, 2004, 01:41 PM

Wow so many negative comments.. Oh well. I'll be entering with an (eligible) mate of mine.

Dave-o�
Senior User
Nov 11, 2004, 01:52 PM

Originally posted by esXXI:
Wow so many negative comments.. Oh well. I'll be entering with an (eligible) mate of mine.
Since you're a member of "thedashboarder.com" doesn't this defeat the purpose of the widgets you have already made? I know you primarily make the graphics and Chris does the coding.. So who get's the iPod if you win?

esXXI
Senior User
Nov 11, 2004, 07:07 PM

Originally posted by Dave-o�:
Since you're a member of "thedashboarder.com" doesn't this defeat the purpose of the widgets you have already made? I know you primarily make the graphics and Chris does the coding.. So who get's the iPod if you win?
Not sure what you mean by 'defeat[ing] the purpose', what do you mean?

And Chris would, since he does more work than me. Or if he felt like being nice, he could sell it and we'd split the cash.

NB: I do the graphics, but often the one that thinks up features or how things should work/react.

Dave-o�
Senior User
Nov 12, 2004, 10:00 AM

Oh i was just rib'n you....

bentoon
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 12, 2004, 03:22 PM

but now that Konfabulator is cross platform I think there will be more developed for Konfabulator
Think?

Dave-o�
Senior User
Nov 12, 2004, 04:22 PM

bentoon... that depends on the developer.. The widgets need to be coded cross platform as well..

King Bob On The Cob
Mac Elite
Nov 16, 2004, 01:09 AM

Originally posted by bentoon:
but now that Konfabulator is cross platform I think there will be more developed for Konfabulator
Think?
Nope. The people who do that stuff on the Windows side already write for other Apps (It has been on the Windows side for awhile)

Plus I don't think Windows users will warm up to it quite so readily, as 3 of the 5 Widgets that are on the starting widget page won't function properly on Windows without some extra software.

(One uses Keychain, One uses Perl, One expects AppleScript to be installed so that it can talk with iChat)

Forum Links
Forum Rules