Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > UMAX Scanner Drivers

UMAX Scanner Drivers
stevenhaddon
Nov 30, 2002, 04:42 PM

I recently acquired a UMAX USB 1220U scanner. Does anyone know if OS X drivers exist for this? Sadly, Vuescan doesn't support it and I can't track down anything on Versiontracker.

If not, it's repeated trips back into 9 for me...

Steve

bradexample
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 30, 2002, 05:33 PM

i was able to get my UMAX scanner working in classic, without having to reboot into 9. try it.

Nebagakid
Mac Elite
Nov 30, 2002, 05:45 PM

same here
but, i would like some X drivers

libraryguy
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 30, 2002, 06:07 PM

I think it's pretty safe to say that Umax is never going to release X compatible drivers for their scanners. I have an Astra 6400 firewire scanner which is still being sold as mac compatible but has no X drivers! I've contacted Umax many times and just get a BS answer. It ain't never gonna happen and i will never buy another Umac scanner. It is supported in VueScan, thank God, but Umax disgusts me with their lack of support.

"When you do the common things in life in an uncommon way, you will command the attention of the world." -George Washington Carver

stevenhaddon  (op)
Nov 30, 2002, 11:23 PM

You're right, guys - it does work in classic. Still would be nice to get it working in X though. Oh well, at least it is working. All I can do is hope that some third party solution materializes at some point.

Thanks for your help.

Steve

himself
Mac Elite
Dec 1, 2002, 01:26 AM

From what I understand, umax does have software for OSX, but it ain't free. (they won't even package it with retail scanners apparently)

Umax won't get any of my business from here on out.
"Bill Gates can't guarantee Windows... how can you guarantee my safety?"
-John Crichton

Moonray
Mac Elite
Dec 1, 2002, 01:58 AM

I've heard they made a beta version for OS X with a kernel extension or such, but I don't know where to get it and I'm not going to install it since I don't trust them.

Oh, and my next scanner won't be an UMAX either.

-

funkboy
Professional Poster
Dec 1, 2002, 03:24 AM

They've released some beta Mac OS X drivers for one or two series of scanners (PowerLook, I believe). No idea how they work... but quite odd that they're giving absolutely no outlet for X users to natively scan on their scanners. In reality, I haven't heard of many scanners supporting X, though... Epson maybe does?

stevenhaddon  (op)
Dec 1, 2002, 08:41 AM

Well, I got the 1220U free from my Dad, so I can't complain too much . He's happily using Vuescan with his new scanner...it's a shame it doesn't work with mine.

...especially since, up till now, I've managed to avoid using classic completely...

Steve

Forum Links
Forum Rules