Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > GUI Customization > Now this is scary....

Now this is scary.... (Page 2)
qnxde
Grizzled Veteran
May 4, 2003, 07:00 AM

Originally posted by kmkkid:
Yeah, I figured some 'zealot' would post this

I could take an OS X screenie, paste some windows icons on it and show you, and you'd still say the exact same thing. Why? Because it's Windows. The font is almost exact except for a little spacing problem, so why is it so poor? BTW I'm only using standard smoothing, I could have clicked on clear type to impress you, but why? I do this for me, not you.

Regarding memory... you really think OS X just does those effects without cpu and memory usage? You got to be kidding me. Why do you think the OS is so slow? Take out all the shadows and transparencies and it would be at least 25% faster.

Why not just buy a mac? heh. I am. I have enough saved, I'm just not going to be the dumbass with a crappy 1 Ghz G4 sitting there and a 2 Ghz 970 based machine come out the next month. I'm holding out. And who's to say I didnt already have a mac? Can't people decorate windows to be more G/UI friendly, especially if they are already used to the macintosh G/UI.

It's funny how people like you, try to tell people like me what we can do with our computers. Do I tell you that you can't have cow spotted seat covers just because you drive a mercades? No, cause I don't care either way, to each their own

And to the question above, I use ObjectDock personally. I find it to be more stable, and it shows running processes unlike y'z.

Chris
I can't see the point in running an OS X theme on windows either. The argument about Windows having more apps and OS X having a better interface so why not combine the two is a moot point because you're only skinning the OS, not changing it's behaviour. It still acts like windows, it just looks different. And then things like the faux dock would get in the way because windows apps always seem to want to run maximized...And your font is nowhere near close to OS X's And I highly doubt you'll ever get close because Quartz and GDI or whatever windows uses renders text so differently. This is what I'd say if you were doing this to make it feel like OS X. On the other hand, if you just want it to look pretty you're doing very well.

You can't eat all those hamburgers, you hear me you ridiculous man?

daydreamer
Mac Enthusiast
May 4, 2003, 10:00 AM

No mather how hard you try, you'll never get the look and feel of OS X on your peecees.

All the above XP to OSX screenies still look ass ugly to me and you can still tell they are windows screenies from the first look.

kmkkid
Professional Poster
May 4, 2003, 01:02 PM

Originally posted by qnxde:
I can't see the point in running an OS X theme on windows either. The argument about Windows having more apps and OS X having a better interface so why not combine the two is a moot point because you're only skinning the OS, not changing it's behaviour. It still acts like windows, it just looks different. And then things like the faux dock would get in the way because windows apps always seem to want to run maximized...And your font is nowhere near close to OS X's And I highly doubt you'll ever get close because Quartz and GDI or whatever windows uses renders text so differently. This is what I'd say if you were doing this to make it feel like OS X. On the other hand, if you just want it to look pretty you're doing very well.
I just want it to look good. Actually your completely right. I just took that screenie to show how close we can get. I dont use the menubar or dock on a daily basis, because they do get in the way. But others do use them religiously. Personally I think the stationary menubar is a GUI disaster. But thats just my honest opinion. And the dock isnt much better either In terms of usability the taskbar wins hands down. It's small, it's useful and it allows you to have everything within reach. Anyways, like I said earlier, why should mac users tell PC users what they can do with their PC's, expecially since PC users CAN change their GUI so easily.

Chris

kmkkid
Professional Poster
May 4, 2003, 01:03 PM

Originally posted by daydreamer:
No mather how hard you try, you'll never get the look and feel of OS X on your peecees.

All the above XP to OSX screenies still look ass ugly to me and you can still tell they are windows screenies from the first look.
My desktop's never look 'ass ugly' thank you very much. Though your opinion doesnt matter to me at all. Keep on daydreaming.

Chris

KoL
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 4, 2003, 02:41 PM

Originally posted by daydreamer:

not all windows user want the look and feel of OSX. I've made a lot of port from OSX (Max, swiz, Iza) but I dont want to feel like Im using OSX, I just want to use their design. I cant use the original theme because I dont have a mac thats why I made the ports, just to use the DESIGN not to get the feel of OSX.

Yeah you can still tell that is windows but I dont think that all the screenshot looks bad.
Heres my current desktop, using a theme that I made inspired on Carbon Quicksilver Remix

I hope you undestand me guys, my english is not very good

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
May 4, 2003, 05:00 PM

Personally I think the stationary menubar is a GUI disaster. But thats just my honest opinion. And the dock isnt much better either In terms of usability the taskbar wins hands down. It's small, it's useful and it allows you to have everything within reach. Anyways, like I said earlier, why should mac users tell PC users what they can do with their PC's, expecially since PC users CAN change their GUI so easily.
Hilarious! Obviously you've never tried a "real" mac before

Vi0
Baninated
May 4, 2003, 05:14 PM

PC and easy are oxymoronic. MS and Windows still live in the early 1990s, despite their "advances." Their GUI is laughable unless configured to run in "classic" mode and then you have to feel like you are still using Windows 95. MS has 10 times the money Apple has, and they can't even put out an iTunes application and a profitable music service. Laughable!

Hi I'm Ben
Mac Elite
May 4, 2003, 05:54 PM

Apple has started making profit from their new itunes?

by the way, Microsoft has a iTunes application, it's called Windows Media Player, it supports play lists plays movies and has all the basic functions of iTunes.

What is laughable is that you think PCs are hard to use.

Originally posted by Vi0:
PC and easy are oxymoronic. MS and Windows still live in the early 1990s, despite their "advances." Their GUI is laughable unless configured to run in "classic" mode and then you have to feel like you are still using Windows 95. MS has 10 times the money Apple has, and they can't even put out an iTunes application and a profitable music service. Laughable!

Vi0
Baninated
May 4, 2003, 07:48 PM

Originally posted by Hi I'm Ben:
Apple has started making profit from their new itunes?

by the way, Microsoft has a iTunes application, it's called Windows Media Player, it supports play lists plays movies and has all the basic functions of iTunes.

What is laughable is that you think PCs are hard to use.
Yes they have made a profit, just like they did on .Mac.

WMP is a joke compared to iTunes. Also the DRM of Windows makes you wonder if you are a Windows user or a Windows inmate. Get into reality.

PCs are not hard for me to use. But compared to a Mac, they look and feel archaic.

kmkkid
Professional Poster
May 4, 2003, 07:50 PM

Originally posted by Adam Betts:
Hilarious! Obviously you've never tried a "real" mac before
Whats a real mac? As opposed to a fake one? (I thought apple killed the cloning companies)..

So, because I think some parts of the mac GUI are lacking, I've never tried a mac... hmmm.... it could be possible, but I have used 'real' mac's so your theory doesnt hold up.

Why can't you guys accept that people have more than one view point?

Thats what's hilarious, really. It is.

Chris

kmkkid
Professional Poster
May 4, 2003, 07:53 PM

Yes they have made a profit, just like they did on .Mac.

WMP is a joke compared to iTunes. Also the DRM of Windows makes you wonder if you are a Windows user or a Windows inmate. Get into reality.

PCs are not hard for me to use. But compared to a Mac, they look and feel archaic.
*cough* drm? hmmmm seems to me none of my music is protected...

On the other hand, it looks like Apple is ushering in a new age of DRM with their music service and having to 'authorize' your mac to listen to what you payed for.

Ugh. Get with the program people. MS isnt the only one doing these things.

Chris

Vi0
Baninated
May 4, 2003, 07:54 PM

kmkid, what do you know anyway. You're just a third rate Mac imitator who is too afraid that his friends will call him names for buying a real Mac. So you dress up your Windows crapbox and pretend your so Mac...LOL, Get a life.

Vi0
Baninated
May 4, 2003, 07:58 PM

*cough* drm? hmmmm seems to me none of my music is protected...

On the other hand, it looks like Apple is ushering in a new age of DRM with their music service and having to 'authorize' your mac to listen to what you payed for.

Ugh. Get with the program people. MS isnt the only one doing these things.

Chris
Apple allows you fair use. You can burn your audio CDs to play on any player. MS believes in no fair use and absolute control. Of course, you can't trade your songs with other people on the internet. What did you expect, durrr....

But you do seem bright for a Windows user, compared to the majority of drooling morons who come to troll this board.

kmkkid
Professional Poster
May 4, 2003, 08:00 PM

kmkid, what do you know anyway. You're just a third rate Mac imitator who is too afraid that his friends will call him names for buying a real Mac. So you dress up your Windows crapbox and pretend your so Mac...LOL, Get a life.
haha

Nice mature responce there. If you read my posts, you'd know that I am getting a mac. Now your just trying to throw petty insults at the truth.

Oh, and again, if you read any of my posts, you'd know that I dont decorate XP like a mac 24/7. All I use is watercolor.
I just like the challenge of making XP lok like something else once in awhile. I 've tried beos, qnx, linux. Too bad you can't do the same, which ironically is the reason your knock us for doing it.

I still don't know why you guys cant accept what others do to THEIR computers.

Chris

mrfrost
Mac Elite
May 4, 2003, 08:05 PM

Chris

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
May 4, 2003, 08:07 PM

Thats what's hilarious, really. It is.
Yes it is.

I'm not going to argue with a guy who obviously know nothing about Human Interface Importances

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
May 4, 2003, 08:15 PM

If you read my posts, you'd know that I am getting a mac.
Too bad you can't do the same...
You're laughing at us that we can't do the same but you are going to join us soon?

Yeah, it make sense

Vi0
Baninated
May 4, 2003, 08:16 PM

I don't know, why do people object to people who tattoo their faces or forehead or putting a bone through their nose?

kmkkid
Professional Poster
May 4, 2003, 08:44 PM

Originally posted by Adam Betts:
Yes it is.

I'm not going to argue with a guy who obviously know nothing about Human Interface Importances
Whatever man. Just because you design pretty lil icons doesnt make you a UI genius.

And to answer your other question, I'm getting a mac so that I can get a Macintosh certification, because they will be in big demand after MS pulls longhorn out of it's ass. Also I like OS X. I don't agree with alot of the Window's UI, but I don't hate the OS either.

Oh, and I wasn't laughing at what you guys cant do. I was laughing that you tell PC users what they should or shouldnt do.

It's not a matter of you guys not being able to do it either. If it can be done on windows, there is a way on the mac too. It just seems Apple isnt helping the advances in skinning/GUI manipulation. They want it to be locked down it seems. It's really too bad.

Chris
( Last edited by kmkkid; May 4, 2003 at 08:49 PM. )

kmkkid
Professional Poster
May 4, 2003, 08:45 PM

I don't know, why do people object to people who tattoo their faces or forehead or putting a bone through their nose?
Only shallow people would.

Chris

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
May 5, 2003, 04:05 PM

Whatever man. Just because you design pretty lil icons doesnt make you a UI genius.

And to answer your other question, I'm getting a mac so that I can get a Macintosh certification, because they will be in big demand after MS pulls longhorn out of it's ass. Also I like OS X. I don't agree with alot of the Window's UI, but I don't hate the OS either.

Oh, and I wasn't laughing at what you guys cant do. I was laughing that you tell PC users what they should or shouldnt do.

It's not a matter of you guys not being able to do it either. If it can be done on windows, there is a way on the mac too. It just seems Apple isnt helping the advances in skinning/GUI manipulation. They want it to be locked down it seems. It's really too bad.
Now I understand you clearly

I'm not an UI genius but I do know what's useable and what's not.

Vi0
Baninated
May 5, 2003, 05:00 PM

Only shallow people would.

Chris
I think you're going a little too far in your quest for righteousness. There are some things are acceptable, and some things that aren't.

pahroza
Dedicated MacNNer
May 5, 2003, 10:18 PM

I think you're going a little too far in your quest for righteousness. There are some things are acceptable, and some things that aren't.
The only things that should be unacceptable are those things that hurt others.

Azzgunther
Dedicated MacNNer
May 11, 2003, 02:08 AM

I find it hillarious how indignant some of you guys are acting towards Chris.

It's not like he hacked your system and made it look like XP. He's hacking his system and trying to make it look like the "good guys."

I think you have to give any operating system a fair chance before you become a zealot against it. XP isn't so bad. It's not great...it's not OSX....but it's not bad. Have you really tried it?

tiffer17
Forum Regular
May 11, 2003, 02:29 AM

WOOHOO!!!
LETS ALL FLAME PC USERS!!!!
FLAME!
FLAME!
FLAME!

Seriously guys, If people want to make their PC's look like Macs then fine...it's not your computer, you're not using it. I use both PC's and Macs on a regular basis.....and they both have their advantages and disadvantages. I am a big fan of Apple but you cant really flame Windows XP's GUI.....without themes and hacks the Mac OS X user interface is one of the most inconsistant (with the exception of linux) GUI's I have ever seen. Microsoft and Apple both have had some good ideas....sure some PC users are annoying but mac zealots are no better......if you are not willing to try anything new then thats just as bad as all the Mac-bashing. LOL I don't remember where i was going with that......

..::|:chris:|::..

(oh and sorry if i come off as being stuck-up....that's not what I was aiming for....)

Ryan1524
Senior User
May 11, 2003, 02:57 AM

i agree...the more forums i go through, the more i see that both mac and pc users are not that different, when it comes to bashing each other that is.. no offense to anybody..
Ryan

Vi0
Baninated
May 11, 2003, 03:37 AM

lame responses...do whatever you want to do to your crappy PC, but please don't wave it in my face and tell me its Mac OS X or try to imply that it is equal because "it looks like it in the screenshot." I certainly didn't ask for that.

kmkkid
Professional Poster
May 11, 2003, 12:59 PM

lame responses...do whatever you want to do to your crappy PC, but please don't wave it in my face and tell me its Mac OS X or try to imply that it is equal because "it looks like it in the screenshot." I certainly didn't ask for that.
This is exactly the kind of attitude that gives mac users a bad name.

"lame"

"crappy PC"

'You're not equal'

Pffft.

WE ARE ALL EQUAL. Computers are just a tool.

*faints*

Chris

tiffer17
Forum Regular
May 11, 2003, 02:06 PM

AMEN!!
It's all a matter of opinion.

..::|:chris:|::..

Vi0
Baninated
May 11, 2003, 04:11 PM

This is exactly the kind of attitude that gives mac users a bad name.

"lame"

"crappy PC"

'You're not equal'

Pffft.

*faints*

Chris
Nope. WE AREN'T ALL EQUAL. But PC users are tools!

Pathetic.
( Last edited by Vi0; May 11, 2003 at 04:28 PM. )

kmkkid
Professional Poster
May 11, 2003, 05:15 PM

Nope. WE AREN'T ALL EQUAL. But PC users are tools!

Pathetic.
You certainly don't do a good job of redeeming yourself do you?

/me laughs at the silly mac zealot.

Chris

King Bob On The Cob
Mac Elite
May 18, 2003, 01:47 AM

Probably the biggest thing I would miss on Windows...
LaunchBar.
My god the crap it does is amazing.

SwarmyCurve
Grizzled Veteran
May 18, 2003, 07:20 AM

I would miss LaunchBar too! I am so used to opening things with apple-space that I sometimes do it by accident when at school on a PC.

Forum Links
Forum Rules