Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Finicky Airport Extreme BS

Finicky Airport Extreme BS
dlindsay17
Forum Regular
Jun 19, 2003, 01:05 PM

I joined the wireless world about 3 days ago by purchasing an Apple refurbished AEBS (sans modem port). I had it up and running within minutes and it was great. Then yesterday I was trying to connect my printer (a compatible hp deskjet 970) but it was not discovered. Then I realized I couldn't login to the AEBS wirelessly -- it gave me some crap about an unreadable configuration file. Anyhow, I figured out that if I connected my 17"pb to the station directly through a patch cable I could login through the admin utility and rendezvous would also see the printer attached to the station. I printed a page and it came out nicely. Then I removed the patch cable between my comp and AEBS and plugged it back into the network, and tried printing again. NO LUCK! Print center tries to start the job, then halts it. Can't connect wirelessly to the station via admin utility either due to the "unreadable config file" issue. When I connect directly to the AEBS via patch cable, configuration and printing pop up right away. This is kinda BS if I have to connect via wires to a wireless product! I wanted to check with the forum before I contacted Apple because I have been able to troubleshoot everything else on my own. Any ideas/advice?

bbales
Mac Elite
Jun 19, 2003, 02:45 PM

I will bet big money that something is not set quite right. I usually get that "unreadable configuration" message if I try to configure wirelessly, but can using an ethernet cable. So that's one thing. I've yet to be able to print wirelessly, primarily because I KNOW I'll have to mess around with the settings and I'm somewhat leery of doing so. But I will, one of these days.

My advice -- do a search not only on this forum but also on the Apple site discussion boards. I bet you'll find out what is wrong and -- more importantly -- how to fix it. And if you like/are able to troubleshoot on your own, I bet you'll find what you're looking for. And by the way, Apple just came out with upgraded firmware and software.

I am able to connect wirelessly and absolutely love it. (I'd love it even more if I could print, too!) Sometimes the AEBS connection is somewhat flaky, which is irksome. But it really is very, very nice to be able to connect without wires.

Good luck.

dlindsay17  (op)
Forum Regular
Jun 19, 2003, 03:23 PM

still no improvement with 5.1 upgrade and Interference Robustness

dlindsay17  (op)
Forum Regular
Jun 19, 2003, 03:32 PM

FIXED! -- for now ;-)
Plugged my network cable into the WAN port instead of the LAN port (confusing even to a mac vereran like me) and everything works like a charm now.

Forum Links
Forum Rules