Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > 17" typing? Anyone?

17" typing? Anyone?
linusone
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 24, 2003, 09:08 AM

Can you 17" Club members give me insight on what it's "like" to type on Big Al? I'm in a small market, and have yet to see one in person. Just been droooling over 'net pics.

Anyway, looking to upgrade from my 667 and was wondering if the placement/depth of the keyboard was a problem for people.

Beuller?

marselen
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 24, 2003, 09:52 AM

While it will take some getting used to, typing on the 17" is great. The keyboard is recessed far from the front of the laptop, but I have not felt it to be uncomfortable after you get used to it.

ae86_16v
Mac Elite
Jul 24, 2003, 11:39 AM

I just brought one about 2 days ago or so. (See my other post). But truth be told, I don't like it at all. The keyboard itself is very nice, but I just don't like how far up towards the screen it is, so that I have to reach up to type now.

In fact I don't like it so much that I am thinking about selling my machine . But everyone is different. I suggest you try it out first.
( Last edited by ae86_16v; Jul 24, 2003 at 06:19 PM. )

NewOldbie
Forum Regular
Jul 24, 2003, 11:55 AM

I've been using mine for almost 2 weeks. There is nothing wrong with the keyboard (very nice keyboard, the best I've seen on a laptop) or the trackpad.

HOWEVER, if you are going to use it for extended periods (>10 hrs/day), I would get an external mouse/trackball.

I'm thinking about getting that iCurve stand myself
If there were no God, it would be necessary to invent him.

Voltaire

stevesnj
Mac Elite
Jul 24, 2003, 06:27 PM

I have been using a Pismo for 3 years now and just got my 17" today and the keys feel overall better and more solid of a feel...my Pismo was a joy to type on and the 17" will take some getting used to but its not bad at all.
MacBook Pro 15" i7 ~ Snow Leopard ~ iPhone 4 - 16Gb

Cellery
Mac Elite
Jul 24, 2003, 06:44 PM

The keys seems a lot "crispier" than on my TiBook, though I wish there was a little more key travel. The huge palm rests are a bit offputting at first since my hands/arms aren't large, but you sorta get used to it. The backlighting is insanely cool though and makes up for having too much machine under your arms.

dlindsay17
Forum Regular
Jul 24, 2003, 09:32 PM

I'm a fan of the 17" keyboard. Crisper than the Tibook. Less give with more feedback -- if that's possible. They keyboard isn't that close to the screen if you consider the number key row and function key row stand between the common keys and the LCD. Blows the socks off any PC keyboard too. It will be interesting to see how the laser etched keys wear with time. Remember how the painted keys on the tibooks would fade... Anyhow, I like mine!

Forum Links
Forum Rules