Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > GUI Customization > Porting Icons from the Linux world

Porting Icons from the Linux world
neo_2510
Dec 31, 2003, 06:43 AM

Hi everybody and first of all I wish all of you a great start into the new year

I was surfing the web and I found some nice looking icons in the Linux world, especially those from Gnome and Nautilus.
Is there a way to port them to OS X? I know there is a great tool for this job, but those icons aren't that scalable in OS X.

Thanks for reply

digitaljames
Mac Elite
Dec 31, 2003, 07:45 AM

Most linux icons are only 48 pixels in size so porting them to OS X is ok if you have your icons set to that size system wide. That being said, any in the dock will look like crap. They are also in .png format. You can use Pic2icon (versiontracker) to make the mac icons out of them but it doesn't always do a good job. The .png files really need to be taken into photoshop and made with iconfactories Icon Builder Pro plug-in. If you run across some linux icons in .svg format then you'll have to open them in illustrator or find a SVG viewer....

neo_2510  (op)
Dec 31, 2003, 08:22 AM

Originally posted by digitaljames:
Most linux icons are only 48 pixels in size so porting them to OS X is ok if you have your icons set to that size system wide. That being said, any in the dock will look like crap. They are also in .png format. You can use Pic2icon (versiontracker) to make the mac icons out of them but it doesn't always do a good job. The .png files really need to be taken into photoshop and made with iconfactories Icon Builder Pro plug-in. If you run across some linux icons in .svg format then you'll have to open them in illustrator or find a SVG viewer....
Thanks, I already tried Pic2Icon and for some icons it is working pretty well, but most of them are too small, like you said already.
My intention is that someone is going to do a real port of some icons.

digitaljames
Mac Elite
Dec 31, 2003, 09:09 AM

Your welcome. The problem with ports is the lack of original images and anything larger than 48pix. Some of the artists over at kdelook.org make 128 pix images for use in a dock...

Originally posted by neo_2510:
Thanks, I already tried Pic2Icon and for some icons it is working pretty well, but most of them are too small, like you said already.
My intention is that someone is going to do a real port of some icons.

Forum Links
Forum Rules