Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > ORiginal iMac G3 333 Firmware update questions...

ORiginal iMac G3 333 Firmware update questions...
nshank
Jan 12, 2004, 01:42 AM

Hi all,
I have a few questions...

I have an original imac, @ 333MHz, w/o any software. I have a system restore CD w/ sytem 9.2. I try to install the system, and I get a msg saying I need to update the firmware. OK, no problem, right? Wrong...

I have found the correct firmware from apple, and I have been able to move it to the machine, but when I try to run the firmware installer, it starts, just after the re-boot notice, it says it can't update the firmware because the system folder is read only.

I guess what it comes down to is this, how do I make the system bootable so that I can update the firmware?

Thanks,
Nick
Primary: Windtunnel (MDD) 1.25DP, 2G DDR, 128M Radeon 9000 Pro (PC Mod, have the original 64M Mac one for GP), Combo drive,
2x NEC 4X DVD-RW's, 2x Seagate 120G, 2x IBM 9.1G U2W in RAID 1, 2x Samsung 191T+ LCD's

slider
Mac Elite
Jan 12, 2004, 08:58 AM

You say there is no software on the iMac. Are you saying that there is know OS? If you are booting off the CD, yes, the system folder is read only. You are going to need an OS on the machine to install the firmware, obviously you'll need one which will run on the iMac with out the firmware. Do you have it? ie 8.5.1 or slightly later? If not I might be able to find one and send it to you.

nshank  (op)
Jan 12, 2004, 04:18 PM

Originally posted by slider:
You say there is no software on the iMac. Are you saying that there is know OS? If you are booting off the CD, yes, the system folder is read only. You are going to need an OS on the machine to install the firmware, obviously you'll need one which will run on the iMac with out the firmware. Do you have it? ie 8.5.1 or slightly later? If not I might be able to find one and send it to you.
No system folder. Nothing. I was wondering, however, is it possible to take the system folder from something like DiscFirstAid, or another bootable system util and boot the imac w/ that? Yall can email me, if ya want. DuaneBary_2000(AT)yahoo(DOT)com
Primary: Windtunnel (MDD) 1.25DP, 2G DDR, 128M Radeon 9000 Pro (PC Mod, have the original 64M Mac one for GP), Combo drive,
2x NEC 4X DVD-RW's, 2x Seagate 120G, 2x IBM 9.1G U2W in RAID 1, 2x Samsung 191T+ LCD's

slider
Mac Elite
Jan 12, 2004, 11:02 PM

Sorry, I am very confused with what you have. First, if you do not have an OS running one the iMac already, you won't be able to install the firmware. I have know idea how you got the firmware onto the HD in the first place. The only way the you can get all these message without an OS installed is by starting from the CD, in-which case, yes, the system folder is read-only. That was what I was assuming you were doing when I read your post earlier today. All you need to do is install from a Mac OS CD which is older then the firmware update like the one which was originally installed on that Make and Model. Then run the firmware updater and then upgrade to Mac OS 9.2.1 and then to 9.2.2 using the Software update. I can send you a copy of these CD's, I can drop them in the mail for you. All you need to do in return is return the favor to someone else someday. I am afraid that is about all the help I can offer. My email link works if you want the CDs. Good Luck

nshank  (op)
Jan 12, 2004, 11:46 PM

Thanks, but I ended up finding a system 8 CD, putting that on it, and updating it that way. Not that it mattered, the imac is dead anyway, but thats a different story.
I do appreciate the help
Nick

ValVashon
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 14, 2004, 11:13 PM

How or why is it dead? It seems as if it was working to some extent. Are you interested in selling it for parts?

Val

Forum Links
Forum Rules