Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > GUI Customization > TiSkin is released.

TiSkin is released. (Page 2)
mac15
Senior User
Feb 21, 2004, 03:52 AM

Yeah xanthic, even I totally over looked this. Mind uploading it to xthemes. You can post it as a mirror if needed. I'd say this thing would be killing a bit of a bandwidth

valdur
Forum Regular
Feb 21, 2004, 04:26 AM

wow...what a great way to rejoin the dark side, it's been a while....light themes?...what are those?...

dark themes make me wanna do evil things...

Fonzie
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 21, 2004, 11:38 AM

Great theme although I wish that there was a bit more color in the x - + widgets. What about having them go blue like that light on the harddrive in the Ti-iconset ? I would love that. Also it looks like there's a white line in the menubar. It's annoying. Great first attempt, Xanthic. The walls are great though.
( Last edited by Fonzie; Feb 21, 2004 at 11:58 AM. )
There's No Offposition On the Genius Switch - David Letterman

LBoogie
Feb 21, 2004, 12:32 PM

What a slick looking theme, most excellent job!

AWShuttleworth
Feb 21, 2004, 12:55 PM

This is my favorite theme EVER. It rocks. It's the first complete grey theme that is actually grey and not tinted blue or "graphite" or some silly thing like that.

"Better than Aqua" is all I have to say about this. Congratulations.

d4nth3m4n
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 21, 2004, 01:32 PM

i like it.

i dont know what it is, but the mask on the apple menu apple looks a little clunky to me.

and i get this in safari -

great work tho! its really consistent and subtle.

realmeatychunks
Feb 21, 2004, 03:15 PM

Originally posted by d4nth3m4n:
i like it.

i dont know what it is, but the mask on the apple menu apple looks a little clunky to me.

and i get this in safari -

great work tho! its really consistent and subtle.
In Safaricon make sure you select "Aqua" instead of "Brushed"... then you won't get that outline.

d4nth3m4n
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 21, 2004, 03:20 PM

Originally posted by realmeatychunks:
In Safaricon make sure you select "Aqua" instead of "Brushed"... then you won't get that outline.
oh, i dont use safaricon, i do it manually.

xanthic eye  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 21, 2004, 03:49 PM

thanks guys!

i'll be posting it to xthemes soon. i'm crossing my fingers that i don't run out of bandwidth for this month. i have a total of 50gigs, and i normally use about 25gigs, but yesterday alone a little over 2gigs were used. is it okay for themers to link to their theme download at xthemes when bandwidth becomes an issue?

i'm not considering adding any color to the original tiskin. from the beginning, my intentions were to make a completely grayscale theme. there are a lot of themes out there that i like, but i don't like the fact that the had color because then they tend to clash with my desktop wallpaper. take aqua for example, if you have an orange and green wallpaper... it'll looks a little odd with the graphite or aqua widgets and apple icon. however, i am making colored variants of tiskin. three in total for now. a blue, graphite-ish, and still not sure about the third variant. maybe green or orange. i am also considering a slightly darker version of tiskin since a lot of people have been asking for that.

and yeah, unfortunately, safari's toolbar is different from other brushed apps. for some reason, apple placed a ppat or something in the back of the buttons. so with themes like mine, that have an extended titlebar, they cut off. quick fix is to use safaricon to switch off the brushed window style. i'm going to make this more clear in the readme or in the install section of the download page, since a lot of people are leaving safari in the brushed style and then are wondering why it looks odd.

d4nth3m4n
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 21, 2004, 05:21 PM

oh, thats what that is? have to try and see if metalifizer'll do it. safaricon and i dont get along- i use ollies tab and for some reason safaricon doesnt seem to want to play nice with ollie.

KoL
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 21, 2004, 06:39 PM

excellent theme amigo

mac15
Senior User
Feb 21, 2004, 07:23 PM

Originally posted by xanthic eye:
thanks guys!

i'll be posting it to xthemes soon. i'm crossing my fingers that i don't run out of bandwidth for this month. i have a total of 50gigs, and i normally use about 25gigs, but yesterday alone a little over 2gigs were used. is it okay for themers to link to their theme download at xthemes when bandwidth becomes an issue?

Yeah its Cool, you can post your theme and link it. We don't mind

bluevertical
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 21, 2004, 07:59 PM

great to hear about the darker theme variant. i for one, would love to see that also!
great work!
bv.
blueverticalstudio_ boston new york los angeles
www.blueverticalstudio.com
www.theblogproject.com

dole
Forum Regular
Feb 22, 2004, 12:07 AM

I'm really liking this theme. This might be one of the first ones I actually use for awhile. I made an Adium 2 theme that I think looks pretty good with TiSkin. Hopefully it is ok with xanthic.

Screenshot of Adium theme
Download the theme

xanthic eye  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 22, 2004, 01:08 AM

that look nice dole, go ahead and release it, its fine by me.

themarvelous3
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 22, 2004, 04:04 PM

is these gonna be an iTunes skin for this TiSkin??? i like it a lot. it will do perfectly (...till tIBook2 is released anyway!!)

eme
Feb 22, 2004, 05:20 PM

greeat theme!! love it i really thought i was going to go back to aqua after 15 min. but i didnt!!

bugs:
- open keychain access and see it for yourself
- the fact that you cant multiply yourselft and start making a million of great themes

suggestion: the safari skin: the inactive state doesnt looks right, it should be opaque in my opinion and not transparent...

thanks ffor your time on making these great theme

xanthic eye  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 22, 2004, 08:41 PM

thanks for letting me know about the keychain access bug.

i considered making the inactive buttons opaque instead of transparent, but all the buttons throughout the rest of the skin behave this way, so i made the safari buttons the same way to keep them consistent.

digitaljames
Mac Elite
Feb 22, 2004, 08:50 PM

Originally posted by xanthic eye:
thanks for letting me know about the keychain access bug.

i considered making the inactive buttons opaque instead of transparent, but all the buttons throughout the rest of the skin behave this way, so i made the safari buttons the same way to keep them consistent.
Hey Raymond,

What happened to the Ti rounded toolbar looking icons you had posted in the initial teaser? Are they going to be released?

Thanks

dj

xanthic eye  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 22, 2004, 09:02 PM

the round "icons" in the teaser are actually the buttons that are going to be part of the login screen mod that will be released soon. however, a lot of people have been asking for them to become icons, and i agree that they do look nice and would work good as icons. so i am going to make them into toolbar replacements that will be included in the ticons 4 package. i might also use them as some sort of badge for folders in ticons 4.

Twister
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 23, 2004, 11:25 AM

GREAT Theme! I like the fact that it's not black!! However I have found one problem so far. If you have more than one email accounts set up in Mail.app you can't see to choose which account you are writing from.

Twister

neo_2510
Feb 23, 2004, 12:46 PM

Originally posted by Twister:
GREAT Theme! I like the fact that it's not black!! However I have found one problem so far. If you have more than one email accounts set up in Mail.app you can't see to choose which account you are writing from.

Twister

There are some minor text problems in iChat textchat windows, too

It's a great theme, but you should lighten up the dark menus....

phillryu
Mac Elite
Feb 23, 2004, 03:54 PM

MacThemes Review is Up

Congrats Xanthic.

MacThemes.net Editor in Chief

Zimphire
Baninated
Feb 23, 2004, 07:47 PM

And it's begun..

http://screenshots.haque.net/screens...shot-10974.jpg

Heh

Doesn't nearly look as good. I would say it was a HACK.

xanthic eye  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 23, 2004, 08:01 PM

darn... guess he couldn't wait till kol ports it. :/

swiz
GUI Punk
Feb 23, 2004, 08:11 PM

Originally posted by Zimphire:
And it's begun..

http://screenshots.haque.net/screens...shot-10974.jpg

Heh

Doesn't nearly look as good. I would say it was a HACK.
Its a total hack, its using Studio Pro's menubar and titlebars, PowerMetal scroll arrows and menus and tiSkin widgets and such.

24" AlumiMac 2.4ghz C2D, 4g Ram, 300g HD, 750g USBHD • 80g iPod • 160g ATV • iPhone 3g

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Feb 24, 2004, 12:21 AM

Originally posted by Twister:

Twister
That's an SS bug. The text colors aren't 100% sorted out yet, that's why dark themes like Omega have to wait until SS is tweaked.
click one

I'mDaMac
Senior User
Feb 27, 2004, 05:30 PM

Very nice theme Xanthic

I never thought a fully gray theme would be successful but you've proven that it can and will. Though the gray does appear a little bit muddy on print calibrated screens it still looks good. While aesthetically pleasing, I'd have to agree that the widgets and scroll bars are just a bit too small. I think users instinctively tend to aim and click on visual "targets." While the click mask may be large enough to accommodate errant clicks, users will spend the extra effort to make sure they hit their "targets." This, IMHO, decreases usability greatly. Just my 2 cents.

Overall nice work and I hope to see more.
Who'sDaMac?

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Feb 27, 2004, 08:17 PM

Originally posted by I'mDaMac:
Very nice theme XanthicI'd have to agree that the widgets and scroll bars are just a bit too small. I think users instinctively tend to aim and click on visual "targets." While the click mask may be large enough to accommodate errant clicks, users will spend the extra effort to make sure they hit their "targets." This, IMHO, decreases usability greatly. Just my 2 cents.
I don't know how small your screen is and how high your resolution is, but at 1280x1024 on a 17" the widgets and scroll-bars are plenty large. I wouldn't change a thing.
click one

Frisbee
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 27, 2004, 11:12 PM

Originally posted by NetworkShadow:
I don't know how small your screen is and how high your resolution is, but at 1280x1024 on a 17" the widgets and scroll-bars are plenty large. I wouldn't change a thing.
Same exact monitor and settings... Compare the sizes of xanthic's widgets to say aqua's, and are they "big?" I think not. That's why I use jetblack and will use tibook2 when it comes out... They make the x-+ as big as panther will allow!

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Feb 28, 2004, 02:34 AM

Originally posted by Frisbee:
Same exact monitor and settings... Compare the sizes of xanthic's widgets to say aqua's, and are they "big?" I think not. That's why I use jetblack and will use tibook2 when it comes out... They make the x-+ as big as panther will allow!
But they are small for design and stylistic reasons, we have themes to stylize our Macs so I don't see why it's bad that they are a bit smaller than Aqua's widgets and scroll bars.
click one

Forum Links
Forum Rules