Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > GUI Customization > Paper & Plastic Public Beta

Paper & Plastic Public Beta
sixz
May 17, 2004, 07:06 AM

Very elegant, simply beautiful and I
just got me pingies on that Tiles unblurred jpeg :)

http://www.macthemes.net/

neo_2510
May 17, 2004, 07:57 AM

I like the colors and the style, but I don't like those scrollbars, they don't match.
Could there be another style with different scrollbars? That would be way cool.

FB Eye
Senior User
May 17, 2004, 09:39 AM

Hmm, I dunno...

The theme feels to me like it's incomplete. Gives me the impression that someone began creating a super nice plastic theme with Swiz's SimpleX as a starting template (don't get me wrong, I love SimpleX), and gave up half-way thru leaving SimpleX elements in place...

Just feels weird

But kudos to Patcarla and co. for a clean and tight job!!!
( Last edited by FB Eye; May 17, 2004 at 10:27 AM. )

servo
Dedicated MacNNer
May 17, 2004, 11:51 AM

Originally posted by FB Eye:
Just feels weird
That is exactly how I feel. It is a really well done theme. Assuming there will ba app skins to tie it together better I can definately say I would use it. But there is just something odd about it.
Though, the more I think about it, if there are app skins for most apps (Mail, iChat, AddressBook, iCal, iPhoto, iTunes, iMovie most importantly) that would help tie things together really nicely.

[edit]
I just opened iTunes and the control buttons are beautiful. If the authors make app skins I will definately be using this theme.
( Last edited by servo; May 17, 2004 at 12:12 PM. )

rhythmicmoose
Mac Enthusiast
May 17, 2004, 11:59 AM

I wasn't expecting to like this, but I really do. I was skeptical about the metaphor at first, as I really like the tangibility of themes like Mercury, SIRO, NEOS, and Aluminum Alloy. I'm not quite sure whether I've bought it entirely yet, but that doesn't change the fact that this is a simple and elegant theme with killer usability. It definitely doesn't feel completely polished, but I eagerly await the 1.0 release. My only complaint besides the rushed mistakes and minor bugs would be the pulsing of the default button. It's too narrow and too dark a pulse to be able to read the button's text at a quick glance. Otherwise I'll be excited to see how this theme progresses in the future.

One more thing: this theme did something that no other recent theme has been able to do, and that's to make me go into the Appearance prefpane and alter my selection color. I changed it from Silver to the blue highlight color of this theme (with brightness increased 10% so it looks good in Finder and on selected text). I think this theme will be on my computer for quite a while. Congrats to all involved.

zen jihad
May 17, 2004, 12:01 PM

Any images of the theme?

fireside
Professional Poster
May 17, 2004, 12:30 PM

i would like to see an all "Paper" theme and an all "Plastic" theme. i don't think the two styles mix very well.

MacAgent
Senior User
May 17, 2004, 01:37 PM

I love it. The plastic window frame is kinda funky, but I think it works.

justinp
Mac Enthusiast
May 17, 2004, 02:27 PM

I only have two "complaints"

1) Given the light nature of the menubar, the black to white stroke on the Apple menu is a bit much. The black overpowers and ends up making it look fatter on the top than on the bottom.

2) The Finder and Safari button press states are a darker grey. Why aren't these blue like the menubar? It seems like they should be.

Otherwise, I like it.

Edit: Just noticed when I clicked post that the loading animation for the tab hasn't been changed from the default. Hopefully that will be in the final release, even though it wasn't mentioned (to my knowledge).

Makki
Mac Elite
May 17, 2004, 02:44 PM

LMAO Maybe the reason "It just feels to me incomplete" is because it is just that this is a public beta meaning incomplete.

Makki

SwarmyCurve
Grizzled Veteran
May 17, 2004, 02:47 PM

This shares a bit too much similarity to SimpleX.

The metal window view is nice, but in Aqua views, the pure white looks incomplete.

It is still a pretty good theme, at a beta stage or whatever. I don't understand the idea of releasing a theme "beta." I mean, its not like the theme is going to crash.

Makki
Mac Elite
May 17, 2004, 03:33 PM

Originally posted by SwarmyCurve:
This shares a bit too much similarity to SimpleX.

The metal window view is nice, but in Aqua views, the pure white looks incomplete.

It is still a pretty good theme, at a beta stage or whatever. I don't understand the idea of releasing a theme "beta." I mean, its not like the theme is going to crash.
lol i hope not anyway hehe

codywalton
Grizzled Veteran
May 17, 2004, 03:40 PM

I understand what the concept of this theme was. They wanted to create something that was very simple and consistent, yet very usable at the same time. But the fact that it is paper AND plastic, and not just paper, or just plastic, makes it feel very INconsistent to me. Don't get me wrong, it's a very well made theme, but it completely misses the mark from my point of view. Right now, a theme had better be top-notch to make me switch from ProLCD (Siro almost did.)

I think I would have liked this theme a whole lot better if it was all one texture or the other, but the combination of the two just throws me off.

wibs
Mac Enthusiast
May 17, 2004, 03:42 PM

Originally posted by servo:
if there are app skins for most apps (Mail, iChat, AddressBook, iCal, iPhoto, iTunes, iMovie most importantly) that would help tie things together really nicely.
Because it isn't listed anywhere else, there are included app skins for:

Address Book
iChat
Installer
iSync (mostly unnoticable, heh)
iTunes (incomplete)
Mail (incomplete)
Safari

Sorry about the incomplete stages, but that's the way things go sometimes =-\.
DigitalRamen sucks.

Makki
Mac Elite
May 17, 2004, 03:48 PM

Well my take on Paper & Plastic is it is a good looking theme relaxing nothing outrageous and i think i will be using this theme for a while to come.

Great job on this theme so far and looking forward to future releases.

Makki

servo
Dedicated MacNNer
May 17, 2004, 03:57 PM

Originally posted by wibs:
Because it isn't listed anywhere else, there are included app skins for:

Address Book
iChat
Installer
iSync (mostly unnoticable, heh)
iTunes (incomplete)
Mail (incomplete)
Safari

Sorry about the incomplete stages, but that's the way things go sometimes =-\.
I do not understand why iCal seems to be neglected when it comes to skinning. Please, include an iCal skin. I also do not understand why in the world people are taking the time to skin Installer. How often is that app used? Once for each application you have installed right?

wibs
Mac Enthusiast
May 17, 2004, 04:06 PM

Originally posted by servo:
I do not understand why iCal seems to be neglected when it comes to skinning.
because it's always been a pain in the ass to me =-\

why in the world people are taking the time to skin Installer.
because it takes 5 minutes .
DigitalRamen sucks.

quandarry
May 17, 2004, 04:39 PM

well the mock-up didn't excite me at all and i was surprised anyone would take up their time to fiddle with it and make a theme of it.

it doesn't blow up my dress....but it has been assembled nicely.

Jaey
Mac Elite
May 17, 2004, 04:48 PM

The problem I have with it is the paper and plastic. The contrast between the two styles is a bit too large for me, and it gives the feel of inconsistency. It's well made, but I think I'm going to stick with SimpleX (my all-time favorite theme).

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
May 17, 2004, 05:04 PM

could someone put a screen please?, I would like something like a enhanced GoodGrey theme, is that?

phillryu
Mac Elite
May 17, 2004, 07:55 PM

Here's what Mike had to say about his theme a few months ago in his mockup description.

"A theme is not a theme unless it is usable. If it is not usable it is simply a cool drawing. When I went to design this theme I wanted one thing, usablity, something that would be able to stay on your system for more than 5 miniuntes. For me that meant no messing around, it had to be strait to the point simple, something that would get out of your way and let the content on your computer shine. Paper & Plastic uses depth very sparingly leaving your interface very simple and unintrusive. Instead of having regular aqua widgets be beveled and popping out of the UI I decided to keep them very flat. This lets the content shine rather than the buttons. I wanted people to think of windows as one of the only things on the computer screen that is a real object you can pick up. I decided to give windows a shiny beveled plastic texture that would contrast the flat paper look of the widgets."

MacThemes.net Editor in Chief

Hi I'm Mike
Mac Enthusiast
May 17, 2004, 08:38 PM

I still don't think beta's is the way to go. Wait until the theme is fully done before posting it and then get the users thoughts. I still have no clue why someone came out and said lets get this done by monday or else! Then monday came and it wasn't done so they give a not close to done beta. I really don't think that is the way theme development should be heading. I wouldn't have cared if it didn't come out this monday and I am sure everyone would have been a lot happier if it just came out when it was complete... But then again I also don't think users thoughts on your theme should change the outcome of it in that big of a way to post a beta. they arn't making it you are.

Caesar2099
Mac Enthusiast
May 17, 2004, 08:56 PM

I disagree I like themes to be released as betas so that people can add criticisms in attempt to fix it. People can warn a themer of something before it's put into the final version, that's how great themes like Pro Plastic were made.

phillryu
Mac Elite
May 17, 2004, 10:08 PM

Originally posted by Hi I'm Mike:
I still don't think beta's is the way to go. Wait until the theme is fully done before posting it and then get the users thoughts. I still have no clue why someone came out and said lets get this done by monday or else! Then monday came and it wasn't done so they give a not close to done beta. I really don't think that is the way theme development should be heading. I wouldn't have cared if it didn't come out this monday and I am sure everyone would have been a lot happier if it just came out when it was complete... But then again I also don't think users thoughts on your theme should change the outcome of it in that big of a way to post a beta. they arn't making it you are.
This wasn't meant as a beta. It's a sneak peak. The reason I picked those words is because the theme itself is basically complete.. it had more to do with packaging issues that I couldn't get a release out Monday. I wouldn't call it a "not close to done beta".

Anyway, I agree that this wasn't ideal, and I apologize for the screwup. But hope you guys enjoy what you saw yesterday.

PS, any comments on the desktops so far? Personally, I was pretty excited by Paper & Plastic because it was pretty neutral, and lent itself well to diverse and colorful desktops. And I thought the whole flattened Apple desktops theme Jasper went with was pretty cool.

MacThemes.net Editor in Chief

AU_student_iceBook
Senior User
May 17, 2004, 10:28 PM

sure:

( Last edited by AU_student_iceBook; Sep 23, 2004 at 11:10 PM. )

SwarmyCurve
Grizzled Veteran
May 17, 2004, 11:10 PM

The metal appearance as shown above looks great, no doubt. The iffy part comes with the blue aqua look. It is rather disparate, too much so if you ask me.

As for the desktops, I enjoy Waves by far the most. It is simple enough to use without being distracted. The color matches the theme well. The others do not do anything for me. The ladybug is nice, but how it ties in with the theme is a bit strained.

Apfhex
Mac Elite
May 18, 2004, 02:00 AM

Waves is very nice, though I really like the look of pp1680b. I'm not using any of them because I have others that I prefer, but still, they're good.

This is a pretty good theme, except for the few incomplete parts. I like it as much, maybe possibly better than iStyle or the (also partially incomplete) SIRO. Looking at the preview I didn't think I'd like it, but the paper and plastic elements mix surprisingly well!
Mac OS X 10.5.0, Mac Pro 2.66GHz/2 GB RAM/X1900 XT, 23" ACD
esdesign

Patcarla
Mac Elite
May 18, 2004, 04:11 AM

Time to answer now..
First I'm glad that some of you like this theme
About the beta release, That was may be a mistake but I think that phill did it mainly to
please people eagerly waiting for P&P.. Plus I need to add that even though it's called a
"beta", it's still a very complete and fully useable version, with a complete main kit, four
desktops and almost all the apps skined.. not bad for a beta..
About the design, I decided to pick up this theme from the contest, because I wanted to
make a simple and useable but original theme.. I though that the concept od P&P was
interesting. And I'm quite happy with the final result. Sure I would have like to change
more stuff here and there but I had to respect what the original designer had in mind..
Anyway, even though this theme is not my all time personal favorite, I really think that it
was really worth porting it.
To finish, on a more personal note, I'd really like to thank wibs to take without any
hesitation some of his free time to complete P&P... Harlan you rule
Powerbook 1.67ghz 15" (100GB HD, 128MB VRAM, 1.5GB RAM)

Hi I'm Mike
Mac Enthusiast
May 18, 2004, 12:56 PM

Originally posted by phillryu:
This wasn't meant as a beta. It's a sneak peak. The reason I picked those words is because the theme itself is basically complete.. it had more to do with packaging issues that I couldn't get a release out Monday. I wouldn't call it a "not close to done beta".

Anyway, I agree that this wasn't ideal, and I apologize for the screwup. But hope you guys enjoy what you saw yesterday.

PS, any comments on the desktops so far? Personally, I was pretty excited by Paper & Plastic because it was pretty neutral, and lent itself well to diverse and colorful desktops. And I thought the whole flattened Apple desktops theme Jasper went with was pretty cool.
Yes those desktops are tight!

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
May 18, 2004, 05:52 PM

Originally posted by AU_student_iceBook:
Sure:
I really like this theme.

It is one of the most usable themes I have downloaded in a long time.

I recommend everyone try out this theme.
Thanks mate, sure it looks nice.

Forum Links
Forum Rules