Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Five killed in hunting argument

Five killed in hunting argument (Page 2)
torsoboy
Mac Elite
Nov 24, 2004, 03:01 AM

Most of you guys make me sick. If this was six kittens (or heaven forbid, deer), you would all be crying out for blood and threatening to go and beat him to a pulp with a baseball bat. But no, this is only 6 human beings, not 6 poor kittens (or deer).

Sheeshe... think of the poor families of these six. They didn't do anything to this guy. You think if 8 people were shooting at him (or even had guns), this guy would still be around? No! he killed 6 people that weren't fighting against him in any way. he took the time to chase them all different directions and shoot them down; and then went back to shoot again anybody that he found wasn't dead!

Disgruntled Head of C-3PO
Professional Poster
Nov 24, 2004, 03:08 AM

Originally posted by torsoboy:
Most of you guys make me sick. If this was six kittens (or heaven forbid, deer), you would all be crying out for blood and threatening to go and beat him to a pulp with a baseball bat. But no, this is only 6 human beings, not 6 poor kittens (or deer).

Sheeshe... think of the poor families of these six. They didn't do anything to this guy. You think if 8 people were shooting at him (or even had guns), this guy would still be around? No! he killed 6 people that weren't fighting against him in any way. he took the time to chase them all different directions and shoot them down; and then went back to shoot again anybody that he found wasn't dead!
Ya it is sick but I think everyone doesn't care much as these people have all put themselves in a poor situation in the first place. First, they are killing for sport, secondly they are surrounding themselves with people they don't know and require next to nothing to get powerful weapon and they supposedly throwing racial remarks at at guy with a gun.

Personally I would never be caught in a group of people with guns and no responsibilities. I wouldn't even walk around the woods around hunting season cuz we all have heard about all those idiots that don't know the difference between a person and a deer.

If they guy had walked out of the woods and started to shoot people on the streets than it would be more tragic.
"Curse my metal body, I wasn't fast enough!"

Rolling Bones
Banned
Nov 24, 2004, 03:24 AM

Never bring a knife to a gunfight.

Never approach a lone hunter with a gun in a blind that's trespassing without a gun yourself. Hell even with a gun it's stupid.

This whole thing reminds me of a movie I saw once. These hunter buddies were out in the bush and having a bad day. No deer or whatever it was they were hunting. After several hours of trudging they come to a fairly wide creek and follow it along. Shortly another group of hunters come along in the opposite direction on the other side. As they walk they glance over and continue walking but say nothing. Suddenly without warning and in unison they start blasting each other. Some are killed right there but the rest of the movie is about these two groups of hunters hunting each other. I wondered if anything like this ever or could happen.

I guess probably it could.

Zimphire
Baninated
Nov 24, 2004, 03:33 AM

Originally posted by Disgruntled Head of C-3PO:
Ya it is sick but I think everyone doesn't care much as these people have all put themselves in a poor situation in the first place. First, they are killing for sport, secondly they are surrounding themselves with people they don't know and require next to nothing to get powerful weapon and they supposedly throwing racial remarks at at guy with a gun.

YOU GOT to be kidding me.

Poor situation.. give me a break.

The guy is a loon. He would have been picked off a water tower sooner or later.

This doesn't happen a lot. You are being a drama queen.

If they guy had walked out of the woods and started to shoot people on the streets than it would be more tragic.
Ya, you'll go far with that one.

lets put this into perspective.

Outdoor Activity Deaths

Boating 836

Hang Gliding 28

Sky Diving 28

Football 4

Personal Watercraft 79

Hunting 87

Scuba Diving 97

Swimming 1,7000

Better stop swimming or going out into a boat.

They are more dangerous than hunting.

Thorin
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 24, 2004, 06:23 AM

Originally posted by Zimphire:

Outdoor Activity Deaths

Boating 836

Hang Gliding 28

Sky Diving 28

Football 4

Personal Watercraft 79

Hunting 87

Scuba Diving 97

Swimming 1,7000

Better stop swimming or going out into a boat.

They are more dangerous than hunting.
Where are those statistics from, is that deaths in total since the dawn of time, is it per year, is it from one state, or for the whole of the US? Do they take into account the number of people that participate in each sport?

In the UK swimming is probably the most popular participation sport, so it would not be surprising that more people are killed doing it than say sky diving, which is a minority sport. The figures are meaningless, unless they are deaths per 100 participants or similar.
12" Rev B PB

Disgruntled Head of C-3PO
Professional Poster
Nov 24, 2004, 11:54 AM

Originally posted by Thorin:

In the UK swimming is probably the most popular participation sport, so it would not be surprising that more people are killed doing it than say sky diving, which is a minority sport. The figures are meaningless, unless they are deaths per 100 participants or similar.
Exactly but he thinks he is being smart so let him have his moment.
"Curse my metal body, I wasn't fast enough!"

Zimphire
Baninated
Nov 24, 2004, 11:57 AM

Where are those statistics from, is that deaths in total since the dawn of time, is it per year, is it from one state, or for the whole of the US? Do they take into account the number of people that participate in each sport?

They were statistics for one year in the US. How many people died in such accidents.

Zimphire
Baninated
Nov 24, 2004, 12:00 PM

Exactly but he thinks he is being smart so let him have his moment.
Being smart? No, anyone can use Google and look up information like I did.

I was just showing you that you were indeed being a drama queen about hunting.

You act like it's really horrible, when swimming has caused more deaths!

Like anything in life. You take your chances.

I've been hunting before. Hunters are one of the most safe, and strict people I have ever met. You hold your gun wrong, or whatever and they will jump your butt and tell you to go back to the car and wait for them.

I am not big on hunting because I am too big of a wuss to shoot anything.

I do respect if it wasn't for hunting, most of us wouldn't be around.

BoomStick
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 24, 2004, 12:52 PM

YFirst, they are killing for sport, secondly they are surrounding themselves with people they don't know and require next to nothing to get powerful weapon and they supposedly throwing racial remarks at at guy with a gun.
Do you even know what killing for sport even is?

How do you know they were hunting for sport?

The more you spout, the stupider you prove yourself to be.

Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 24, 2004, 01:18 PM

Originally posted by BoomStick:
Do you even know what killing for sport even is?

How do you know they were hunting for sport?
What were they hunting for the greater good of mankind or because they are so much about the deer population? Enlighten us.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

Zimphire
Baninated
Nov 24, 2004, 01:24 PM

I think hunters should stop hunting for two years. Don't do it!

I think you'd see anti-Hunting people wise up a bit.

The naiveness of these people are outstanding.

BoomStick
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 24, 2004, 01:25 PM

Originally posted by Severed Hand of Skywalker:
What were they hunting for the greater good of mankind or because they are so much about the deer population? Enlighten us.
Hunting for food.

Ever heard of it?

Zimphire
Baninated
Nov 24, 2004, 01:30 PM

Hunting for food.

Ever heard of it?
'

Yeah, hard to get deer meat at the market.

Hunting is not as easy as some people think. It does take skill and luck.

Thorin
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 24, 2004, 01:40 PM

You act like it's really horrible, when swimming has caused more deaths!
Unless the statistics take into account the number of people participating in those sports they don't mean anything. If I invented a new sport that involved throwing electrical appliances into the bath, did it once and survived, I could say that my new sport had no deaths related to it. It wouldn't make it safer than swimming though would it?

My feelings are pretty mixed on the wider issue being discussed here though. Obviously I feel sorry for the people killed. Not sure how I feel about hunting so long as it's done responsibly, but I'm generally against gun ownership (which makes hunting a bit more difficult).
12" Rev B PB

Zimphire
Baninated
Nov 24, 2004, 01:51 PM

Unless the statistics take into account the number of people participating in those sports they don't mean anything. If I invented a new sport that involved throwing electrical appliances into the bath, did it once and survived, I could say that my new sport had no deaths related to it. It wouldn't make it safer than swimming though would it?
My point was to show SWF in comparison, just how dangerous hunting was.

He has no clue. I doubt he has ever been hunting in his life.

And when you are THAT naive about the situation, it's best to keep your mouth shut then to run it and make yourself look the fool.

While we have all done this from time to time. SWF has made a habit of it the past year or so.

Rolling Bones
Banned
Nov 24, 2004, 02:11 PM

'

Yeah, hard to get deer meat at the market.

Hunting is not as easy as some people think. It does take skill and luck.
If it was just hunting, they would just take pictures when they tracked down an animal. It's the thrill of the kill that blows up hunters shorts.

Food, that's laughable. That's only an afterthought. These hunters who were killed did it for the thrill of killing. They spent megabucks and got together regularly to hunt and kill.

As for hunting taking skill...that is only because nearly everything is hunted to extinction in the wild. The skill or luck is finding something, anything to kill. Grizzly bears used to be nearly all over the continent now they are in a few isolated areas in the northwest. They used to shoot buffalo from moving trains for fun.

So when people bring up the 'for food' thing, it's total bullsh!t. It's just an excuse that is easier to pass off.

It's easier to hunt people so now that may become a popular sport. Remember the Washington sniper. That took skill.

This guy in this particular case just turned after being called a gook and started blasting which didn't require any particular skill.

Except he was a good shot.

BoomStick
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 24, 2004, 02:19 PM

Oh please oh psycic one, tell me why I'm going hunting saturday.

God, your post was a fistfull of stupid.

Zimphire
Baninated
Nov 24, 2004, 02:25 PM

Originally posted by Rolling Bones:
Food, that's laughable. That's only an afterthought. These hunters who were killed did it for the thrill of killing. They spent megabucks and got together regularly to hunt and kill.

Some yes, some no. I know many people that hunt for the food. They LOVE deer meat. And you can only get it during hunting season. So they stock up.

Deer steaks, soups, jerky, all made from deer around here.

This guy in this particular case just turned after being called a gook and started blasting
Hard to say what exactly happened. Unless you were there of course.

Rolling Bones
Banned
Nov 24, 2004, 02:34 PM

To take pictures?

Captain Obvious
Professional Poster
Nov 24, 2004, 02:41 PM

Who cares why. This isn't Canada, we have a larger ratio of humans to fuzzy animals per acre. The population of deer needs to be controlled because they breed too fast and their numbers cannot be sustained without posing a threat to humans and themselves. I'd rather have them shot than hit by cars. Last year's mild winter is causing a huge problem this year for people in the Midwest because the damned things didn't freeze to death like they were supposed to. In Cook Co they don't allow deer hunting and in one week the stupid things have made it into the news twice.
http://www.suntimes.com/output/news/cst-nws-deer24.html
http://abclocal.go.com/wls/news/1116...eer_ohare.html

Even the tree huggers want them dead.
http://pa.audubon.org/deerinfopage.htm

I personally don�t hunt but as someone who plans on owning a vacation home up somewhere close to a forest and looks forward to having a very expensive car I do not want these things getting so numerous that they pose a road hazard for me.

I understand you aren�t much of an outdoorsman nor exude any normal level of machismo other than occasionally dressings up as a lumber jack for your boyfriend but some people like to deer hunt. Some people do consider it a sport. I have yet to see any post of yours that would indicate you are a participant of any athletic event or sport other than painting a target around your ass so I don�t know what you would consider challenging but I assume there is some level of difficulty in hunting.
And for being a bunch of dorks who sit around and play Halo half your weekend because they think it is a game of skill I find it ironic you call hunting easy.

Barack Obama: Four more years of the Carter Presidency

Zimphire
Baninated
Nov 24, 2004, 02:42 PM

Come on, you have no concern with any life but your own! How could you kill such animals!

Oh wait, nevermind

Addicted to MacNN
Nov 24, 2004, 02:47 PM

Originally posted by Captain Obvious:
Who cares why. This isn't Canada, we have a larger ratio of humans to fuzzy animals per acre. The population of deer needs to be controlled because they breed too fast and their numbers cannot be sustained without posing a threat to humans and themselves.
Ya, that is why they are all out there. Because they understand the need to control the deer population using powerful weapons

riiiight.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

effgee
Caffeinated Theme Master
Nov 24, 2004, 02:50 PM

... other than painting a target around your ass ...
dude, you are a total pig.

Zimphire
Baninated
Nov 24, 2004, 02:55 PM

I understand you aren�t much of an outdoorsman nor exude any normal level of machismo other than occasionally dressings up as a lumber jack for your boyfriend but some people like to deer hunt. Some people do consider it a sport. I have yet to see any post of yours that would indicate you are a participant of any athletic event or sport other than painting a target around your ass so I don�t know what you would consider challenging but I assume there is some level of difficulty in hunting.
And for being a bunch of dorks who sit around and play Halo half your weekend because they think it is a game of skill I find it ironic you call hunting easy.
\

Ouch..

It's a keeper though.

Rolling Bones
Banned
Nov 24, 2004, 02:58 PM

My psychic prediction for this thread...

Demonhood: "quite sad"
ThinkInsane: "Seriously, you guys leave me at a loss for words."

wang_himself
Senior User
Nov 24, 2004, 03:11 PM

The guy was from STOCKTON, CALIFORNIA!

I can't believe the sh*thole of a town now has spread its violence to to almost the other coast.

We already caused a huge shoot out in Reno, Nevada a while back with the Hells Angels and some other biker gangs.

10 PRINT "STOCKTON SUCKS!"
20 GOTO 10
/hi

jcadam
Mac Elite
Nov 24, 2004, 03:15 PM

Originally posted by DeathToWindows:
If this bloke gets off on an insanity plea, I have no faith in the criminal psychology system.

Good Lord, what a nutjob - and I looked up that gun - HOLY ****, why was he hunting with it?
a sportsman does not hunt deer with a semi-automatic carbine. Although an SKS is obsolete as a military weapon (non-detachable magazine!), it's original purpose was as an assault rifle. Meaning, it was made to be light with a shorter barrell for greater manueverability in close quarters, and high magazine capacity.
Accuracy, the most important quality of a hunting rifle, is not of great importance for an assault weapon (you don't have time to sit back, carefully aim, and/or set up a shot while running, jumping, ducking, and getting shot at yourself. This is exactly the reason for a high capacity magazine, you will miss a LOT and have multitudes of armed assailants).

If you are hunting with an SKS you are either:

1.) an extreme redneck (it's coooool!!!)

2.) you are hunting humans, at short ranges. (But I'd rather have an AR-15 for that purpose).

This guy was #2, methinks. Certainly not a serious hunter.
Caffeinated Rhino Software -- Education and Training management software

Rolling Bones
Banned
Nov 24, 2004, 03:17 PM

Wasn't Manson and his troop living around there?

For some reason when you mentioned Stockton, violent images flashed thru my minds eye.

phoenixboy70
Mac Elite
Nov 24, 2004, 03:23 PM

The reactionary bible thumpin', deer huntin' and trailer park livin' population needs to be controlled because they breed too fast and their numbers cannot be sustained without posing a threat to humans and themselves. I'd rather have them shot than hit by cars.
fixed�.

Zimphire
Baninated
Nov 24, 2004, 03:27 PM

Originally posted by phoenixboy70:
fixed�.
Your sound like the KKK.

Seriously.

Seek help.

Rolling Bones
Banned
Nov 24, 2004, 03:39 PM

Your sound like the KKK.

Seriously.

Seek help.
He's just angry, but going up against the hard headedness of certain individuals here won't help that anger, that is for sure. I found that letting it roll off like teflon and coming up with a little quip does wonders.

...and of course the medication helps.

Zimphire
Baninated
Nov 24, 2004, 03:40 PM

Originally posted by Rolling Bones:
He's just angry,
So are the KKK.

That doesn't justify his hatefulness.

But maybe you are right. He might need medication .

effgee
Caffeinated Theme Master
Nov 24, 2004, 03:53 PM

Interesting how one guy's "colorful" exaggeration is a keeper, while the other guy's even "more colorful" exaggeration is hateful.

Hypocrite.

And no, I didn't think either of them were that funny.

Note:

Homophobic = good
US-phobic = bad

Zimphire
Baninated
Nov 24, 2004, 04:07 PM

Originally posted by effgee:
Interesting how one guy's "colorful" exaggeration is a keeper, while the other guy's even "more colorful" exaggeration is hateful.

Hypocrite.

And no, I didn't think either of them were that funny.

Note:

Homophobic = good
US-phobic = bad
Why don't you ask the mods who I have complained about before using the hypocrite word. I haven't only reported those I have disagreed with.

Take this thread for example.

http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.p...0&pagenumber=3

That being said, SWFs actions in here would be known as "asking for it"

There is also a difference between attacking a person's beliefs and hypocrisy, and calling a whole group of people white trash, or bigots.

Addicted to MacNN
Nov 24, 2004, 04:10 PM

Your sound like the KKK.

Seriously.

Seek help.
Ya, roasting marshmallows on a person on fire though is not the least bit creepy. Joke or not.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

Zimphire
Baninated
Nov 24, 2004, 04:11 PM

Ya, roasting marshmallows on a person on fire though is not the least bit creepy. Joke or not.
You need to learn the difference between being humorous, and being hateful. You still haven't figured it out.

roberto blanco
Senior User
Nov 24, 2004, 05:02 PM

You need to learn the difference between being humorous, and being hateful. You still haven't figured it out.
neither have you.

life results from the non-random survival of randomly varying replicators - r. dawkins

effgee
Caffeinated Theme Master
Nov 24, 2004, 05:08 PM

Why don't you ask the mods who I have complained about before using the hypocrite word. I haven't only reported those I have disagreed with.

Take this thread for example.

http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.p...0&pagenumber=3

That being said, SWFs actions in here would be known as "asking for it"

There is also a difference between attacking a person's beliefs and hypocrisy, and calling a whole group of people white trash, or bigots.
Why someone would want to "report" anyone in an internet forum is beyond me to begin with - but that's not really the topic at hand. And no, I haven't checked the thread you linked to - simply because I don't care who gets "reported" by whom for saying what in thread xzy and what their general beliefs are. That's only my pov and ymmv, of course.

I should have phrased the "hypocrisy" part of my post with a bit more thought - I was in a hurry though, because food was on the table and the missus flogs me when I'm late for dinner.

Should have said "you were being hypocritical" instead of just "hypocrite" - because yes, there is a difference in degree between a personal attack on one homosexual and judging a relatively amorphous group of people. But one thing being "more wrong" than another (which is debatable, btw) doesn't automatically make the latter a "keeper".

So yes - in that instance you were being hypocritical. Or - if you like that better than "hypocrisy" - you fell victim to your own prejudice.

A bit, at least.

No biggie either way - my own prejudice just forced me to point out yours.

ThinkInsane
Moderator Emeritus
Nov 24, 2004, 05:11 PM

You all need to kiss and make up, ignore each other, or do something. This little personality clash gets more annoying by the day.
Nemo me impune lacesset

Forum Links
Forum Rules