Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Logitech Cordless Mouse

Logitech Cordless Mouse
agentz
Mac Elite
Feb 5, 2002, 04:38 AM

Hi Gang
I've just acquired a Logitech cordless wheelmouse which is supposed to be Mac compatible but I can't get the darn thing to work.

Here are the details:
Its model M-RN67
I'm using an original iBook running OS9.1 with 128Mb RAM

It came supplied with Logitech Mouseware 3.x something or other but when I first had problems I downloaded 4.03 from logitech.com and removed the old version and installed the new version.

I plug the RF receiver into the USB port of the iBook and Apple System Profiler recognises it as 'USB Receiver' - so far so good. From what I gather what I'm supposed to do next is to put the batteries into the mouse, press the connect button on the receiver, then press the connect button on the underside of the mouse. This should then synchronise the mouse and receiver.

Problem is the Mouseware control panel just constantly says 'no mouse detected'.

I've tried an alternate set of batteries in the mouse, removed and reinstalled the software, unplugged and reconnected the receiver, pressed all sorts of random buttons but I still cant get the flaming thing to work.

I've checked around the Logitech website and frankly their Mac support looks really poor and the online documentation isn't exactly concise. I've basically tried everything on the website but it still doesn't friggin work. I've filled out a support request form on the website and received an email saying that I can 'expect a response in 2 working days'. Well thats something at least.

Anybody ever used one of these things? Anybody got good/bad experiences of Logitech?
MI5 doesn't do evil. Just treachery, treason and armageddon.

Diggory Laycock
Professional Poster
Feb 6, 2002, 01:48 AM

Hmmm,

I've got nearly the same mouse (M-RM63 (cordless optical))

The mouseware software only adds the ability to use the "extra" buttons & wheel - the mouse should work (i.e. at least move around and left/right-click) even without the Software. - i don't even have Mouseware installed on my OS 9 partition and it works when i'm (rarely) booted into 9.

It sounds like the receiver and mouse aren't talking properly.

Logitech stuff usually works very well with Macs - I've got three of their mice.

It sounds like a duff mouse - The only ideas I can think of is to try it on another USB enabled machine (someone near by must have a computer...)

<blindingly obvious advice>
make sure that the batteries are in the right way round & that the reciever and mouse are within 10 ft of each other.
</blindingly obvious advice>

sorry - not much help.

[ 02-06-2002: Message edited by: Diggory Laycock ]

[ 02-06-2002: Message edited by: Diggory Laycock ]

agentz  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 6, 2002, 03:16 AM

Yeah the blindingly obvious bit did occur to me

I fiddled about with it a bit more last night, but no luck.

Took the mouse to work today and tried it on my Optiplex, and it still didn't work. At first the Opti recognised the receiver and would pop up the dialogue saying 'looking for device' but then I realised that I needed to have the receiver plugged in to a USB port on the arse of the Opti, not on the front. I moved it and it stopped working completely, the mouseware software wouldn't even recognise that the receiver was present. Gah.

Anyhow, its a slightly long an convoluted story as to how I came across the mouse, but I decided to call Logitech on the London support number.

First guy I spoke to was completely and utterly useless, his only suggestion was to try it on another machine and if that didn't work take it back to the retailer. Then he hung up on me.

I hit the redial button straight away, got right through without waiting in a queue and ended up talking to a guy in Switzerland! He couldn't have been more helpful.

Long story short, Logitech are shipping me a replacement kit out, all I've gotta do in return is to put the mouse-ball retaining ring in an envelope along with the USB plug hacked off the receiver and send it to them.

agentz  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 19, 2002, 04:33 PM

Update:
I received my replacement mouse from Logitech today.

Plugged it in to my iBook and......

It works brilliantly

Oh, and I never even got around to hacking off the USB plug and sending it and the retaining ring to Logitech. Oh well....

G-mac
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 21, 2002, 11:16 PM

Great!

I have the same Logitech mouse and mine works great. It does sometimes lose its connection, but it only happened when I was fiddling with the system. I use USB Overdrive to maintain functionality in OS X, but it worked great without even the MouseWare software in OS 9.

G-mac
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 21, 2002, 11:27 PM

Great!

I have the same Logitech mouse and mine works great. It does sometimes lose its connection, but it only happened when I was fiddling with the system. I use USB Overdrive to maintain functionality in OS X, but it worked great without even the MouseWare software in OS 9.

Mack
Forum Regular
Feb 21, 2002, 11:29 PM

My only complaint is that it eats batteries.

Griz
Feb 22, 2002, 05:17 AM

Originally posted by Mack:
<STRONG>My only complaint is that it eats batteries.</STRONG>
Batteries normally last six weeks. A cheap price to pay for an excellent product. Been using mine for 3 months and just replaced the batteries 2 weeks ago.
really
G4 Quicksilver 2002 800Mhz CD-RW Zip 250 15 inch LCD Apple Studio Display HPdeskjet 940c OS X 10.3.2

slider
Mac Elite
Feb 22, 2002, 04:20 PM

May I ask what you gain using USB overdrive with this mouse. I have been using it in Mac OS X using just the built in support. So my questions is what would I gain with the overdirve, thanks.

Diggory Laycock
Professional Poster
Feb 24, 2002, 07:12 AM

May I ask what you gain using USB overdrive with this mouse. I have been using it in Mac OS X using just the built in support. So my questions is what would I gain with the overdirve, thanks.
Well you get two extra buttons working. The scroll-wheel is a button (I use USBOverdrive to map that to "page down") and the button where your thumb rests (I have this set to minimise window.)

Without USBOverdrive these buttons act as if they were the left-button.

Also USBOverdrive allows different mappings for different apps - so you could re-map all your mouse buttons for specific games etc..

slider
Mac Elite
Feb 25, 2002, 05:18 AM

Yeah, I guess that is a no brainer, just wasn't thinking I guess. Thanks for the reply, I think I'll give it a shot.

slider
Mac Elite
Feb 25, 2002, 05:19 AM

Yeah, I guess that is a no brainer, just wasn't thinking I guess. Thanks for the reply, I think I'll give it a shot.

Forum Links
Forum Rules