Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > USB hubs vs switches

USB hubs vs switches
TwinFeats
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 7, 1999, 11:09 PM

I have an Entrega 7 port USB hub. My Epson 740 works great with it as does my Keyspan USB/Serial adapter for my PalmPilo, my Iomega Zip drive, and my Umax 1220U scanner. However my Avid cinema video capture box and my Sony Spressa USB simply do not work thru the hub. If I unplug every other device from the hub they still don't work, but if I unplug the hub itself and then plug the device in question directly to the iMac it works fine. Is there a better hub out there that works with these devices or barring that a USB switchbox of some sort instead? Thanks,

Kent

Ster
Oct 8, 1999, 05:05 PM

hi there,
sorry, but that's the big drawback of using usb for high-bandwith devices. usb can't push enough data to the farther devices fast enough to keep up with their needs. when attached through a hub, each data packet has to include information about which port on which hub the data needs to go. that eats into the bandwith slightly as does the longer total distance the data has to travel. the real kicker, though, is the time the hardware in the hub spends routing the signal. add it all up, and your data doesn't make it to the burner or the a/v box, which rely on data being there _exactly_when needed, quite fast enough.
hope that clears things up,
ster

TwinFeats  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 8, 1999, 05:46 PM

Thanks for the reply, that's what I thought. I understand about the Avid capture needing all the bandwith, but I thought my CDR at a slower speed setting would be OK. Oh well, I'm shopping for a USB switchbox now...

Forum Links
Forum Rules