Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > Multimedia and the OS: How to Enhance QuickTime

Multimedia and the OS: How to Enhance QuickTime
matttichenor
Mar 12, 2001, 01:53 AM

I was thinking that perhaps Apple should really start pushing the envelope with QuickTime and implement some really awesome new features for QT 6. I feel that this would be a nice approach in order to improve the OS. Apple's new Digital Hub approach might be enhanced by embedding the QuickTime viewer a little further into OSX and enhancing QT to accept Firewire in/out.

Imagine if there were a widget/button located next to the TV widget (found in the lower right corner of the QT5 viewer) that would activate complete Firewire deck control and allow you to view video that was input from a DV camera or a DV analog / digital converter right inside a QT viewer window. With Fullscreen capabilities this feature would be very cool for users who want to watch DV on their desktop without having to use third party software or have to startup programs like iMovie or Final Cut Pro. This technology already exists within iMovie and Final Cut pro, but being able to achieve this basically from the desktop would be phenomenal. Furthermore, Apple could implement the capture process that also already exists in iMovie allowing the user to record high quality DV directly to their HardDrive from within Quicktime.

Some might suggest that this can already be accomplished from within iMovie but imagine the further possibilities; software that turns the capture process on or off at certain times to record high quality video from a television cable connection hooked up to an analog/digital media converter like the Sony DVMC DA2. Bye Bye VCR. Imagine a DTV box that was controlled via Firewire and QT that the user was able to setup to tape programs off air.

Furthermore the entire process could be reversed allowing users to view QT movies playing on their desktops through to their television sets. Eventually DTV boxes and HDTV sets will have Firewire connectors for just these purposes, eliminating the need for the media converter all together. Many times I have wanted to view QT movies on my TV in order to show a large group of people a project I have been working or some great QT movie from the net. It would be cool if the technology existed within the QT viewer on the desktop, simplifying the whole process. Imagine using these new features with a powerbook and a single Firewire connection, great for portable users who need to make presentations.

Correct me if I�m wrong but most of this technology already exists within other Apple programs, it would simply be a matter of enhancing and tweaking it in order to implement it within the QT viewer on the desktop, an accomplishment that would make viewing DV much easier and faster. I suppose there would be several problems with the implementation such as dealing with a multitude of different resolutions and screen sizes and it would possibly slowdown the QT viewer as to defeat the purpose of it being a small and simple way of viewing video on the desktop.

Let me know what you think, I am curious to find out if other users feel this would be a feature that Apple would want to pursue.

Matt

Wetsponge
Mar 12, 2001, 12:20 PM

My only question would be "what's the point?" any camera worth its salt with firewire will also have video out, so you can just hook it up to a tv and watch the source from there. DV decoding takes a lot of umooph, so having it stream to you quicktime app would be just a waste of processor cycles. The only time I want to spend the time hooking my DV camera up to my machine is when i want to edit the footage i've taken. Again, if i'm just going to watch what's on the camera, i'm going to hook it up to my tv, and not hassle with the computer.

Forum Links
Forum Rules