Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Making the PC to Mac switch, but my iPod?

Making the PC to Mac switch, but my iPod?
jsousa
May 31, 2006, 02:15 PM

So I have an MBP in the mail, but what will happen with my ipod? how do I go about formatting it for apple? And also, how do I transfer all of my music over and not loose my play counts and my album art (i know how to move files from my PC to my mac but how do I not loose the playcounts and album art is the question.)

Thnaks.

Nai no Kami
Senior User
May 31, 2006, 03:23 PM

Don't do anything to your iPod. It'll be recognized by your Mac and you will still be able to use it as a cross platform file exchanging device.

Y no entienden nada... ¡y cómo se divierten!...

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
May 31, 2006, 04:09 PM

Album art is stored in the music files themselves, so you don't need to worry about losing that. Play counts are stored in the "iTunes Library" file. On the Mac, this is located by default inside the "iTunes" folder of your User's "Music" folder (along with your default iTunes Music Folder). I have no idea where that file is in Windows--probably somewhere similar. To keep your playcounts and all other metadata, assuming everything is in its default location, just copy that entire "iTunes" folder (including the "iTunes Library" file, the "iTunes Library.xml" file, and the iTunes Music Folder into your "Music" folder on the Mac.

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jun 22, 2006, 03:16 PM

stefanicotine
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 22, 2006, 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by SpaceMonkey
Album art is stored in the music files themselves, so you don't need to worry about losing that. Play counts are stored in the "iTunes Library" file. On the Mac, this is located by default inside the "iTunes" folder of your User's "Music" folder (along with your default iTunes Music Folder). I have no idea where that file is in Windows--probably somewhere similar. To keep your playcounts and all other metadata, assuming everything is in its default location, just copy that entire "iTunes" folder (including the "iTunes Library" file, the "iTunes Library.xml" file, and the iTunes Music Folder into your "Music" folder on the Mac.

I'm pretty sure it's in "My Documents / My Music / iTunes" for Windows. I saw it somewhere around there while I was in bootcamp today.
 Certified AppleCare Technician

jaydon34
Senior User
Jun 22, 2006, 05:35 PM

haven't use seen the new apple commercials. Switch it just works
myflickr : mytwitter : twentyonethirty
17" Macbook Pro 2.6Ghz 4gb 200GB HD: 8gb Iphone 3g: Hp Mini 1000 Netbook

Forum Links
Forum Rules