Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Would you trust your new MacBook with OWC Ram?

Would you trust your new MacBook with OWC Ram?
markponcelet
Dedicated MacNNer
May 4, 2006, 04:06 PM

Okay, here's my problem:

I'm going to be upgrading my new 17" Macbook Pro from 1 GB to 2 GB when it gets here. Based on all the other forums I can find, it looks like everyone loves Crucial (presently a whopping $150 after a $20 price reduction on Newegg), and nobody explicitly seems to hate OWC (currently at $113.) After years and years of experience with RAM in PCs and Macs, I know how unstable memory can be.

So here's my question: Would you trust your new Macbook Pro to an OWC chip? Or would you spring for the extra $30 to get Crucial?

Thanks for the help. :-)

mduell
Posting Junkie
May 4, 2006, 04:17 PM

Aww, c'mon, go for 3GB! I want to hear from someone who has tried 2GB SO-DIMMs in their Intel Mac.

I would pay the premium for Crucial; look at the big picture, it's a 1% change in price for your system.

aadfadsfa33
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 4, 2006, 04:25 PM

Personally, I'd go for the cheaper stuff... btw, last time I checked (last night) Macsolutions had a stick of 1 GB for 82 bucks. If it were me, I'd be going for that (and very likely will in the near future.)

For the record, I've used cheap RAM in 4 different computers in my life and have never, ever had a problem with it.
( Last edited by kylemacr; May 4, 2006 at 04:49 PM. )

mnesset
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 4, 2006, 04:56 PM

I have always used RAM from OWC and have never been disappointed! They are great and deliver VERY quickly.

pete
Mac Elite
May 4, 2006, 05:02 PM

I got a 1gb stick for $85 using ramseeker. Works perfectly and comes with a lifetim warranty. In fact, I've always bought cheap ram and only had a problem once with something I ordered from newegg.

markponcelet  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
May 4, 2006, 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by mnesset
I have always used RAM from OWC and have never been disappointed! They are great and deliver VERY quickly.
OWC is definitely a great company. (As opposed to NewEgg, who delayed my shipment for a week and made me call something like eight times just to get them to send a part to my work address.)

What I'm most concerned about is the stability of the chip. There's nothing worse than a brand that isn't stable.

mduell
Posting Junkie
May 4, 2006, 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by markponcelet
(As opposed to NewEgg, who delayed my shipment for a week and made me call something like eight times just to get them to send a part to my work address.)
Did you have you work address on file with your credit card company as an allowed shipping address? If not, it's the credit card company's anti-fraud measure to blame, not Newegg. I'd guess Newegg was following their merchant agreement with the credit card processor; there's probably something in your credit card agreement about it too.

markponcelet  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
May 4, 2006, 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by mduell
Did you have you work address on file with your credit card company as an allowed shipping address? If not, it's the credit card company's anti-fraud measure to blame, not Newegg. I'd guess Newegg was following their merchant agreement with the credit card processor; there's probably something in your credit card agreement about it too.
A bit off-topic, but I'll respond anyway. No; it was NewEgg. Apparently it's a common complaint: in order to reduce fraud, newegg contacts the bank of a credit card used if the shipping address doesn't match the billing address. My bank (a credit union, actually) is small, and there were only two ladies in the office taking those calls from NewEgg. But they just decided they didn't trust them when they'd say "authorized." So it was back and forth, over and over, getting NewEgg to call the bank, waiting for the call to come in, authorizing it, and having it turned down by NewEgg because something seemed fishy. (Maybe they said "authorized" too fast, or whatever. It was a mess.)

Eventually, when I was hopping mad, I found someone who was sympathetic and sent it out anyway.

GrimStranger
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 5, 2006, 02:22 AM

3GB? I thought MBPs support up to 2GB of ram?

Anyway, I bought my 1G module from OWC and it has been working flawlessly. I was skeptical at first and wanted to go with Crucial. But paying up for this MBP burned a big hole in my pocket (plus I had to save some drink money for the weekend ) so I went with OWC. Couldn't be happier!

b1NARY73
Mac Enthusiast
May 5, 2006, 02:44 AM

I always use value RAM in all my machines...... and have never had any problems, and more cash in my pocket.
 Macbook Pro 17" / 2.5GHZ Intel Core 2 Duo / 4GB Ram / 350GB
 Macbook Pro 17" / 2.16GHZ Intel Core Duo / 2GB Ram / 120GB
 Macbook Black / 2.4GHZ Intel Core 2 Duo / 4GB Ram / 350GB

mduell
Posting Junkie
May 5, 2006, 02:47 AM

Originally Posted by GrimStranger
3GB? I thought MBPs support up to 2GB of ram?
The chipset used in all the Intel Macs supports 4GB. Apple says the systems only support 2GB, but there are some other parts where Apple's specs say differently than Intel's and real-world experience (such as support for lower RAM speeds).

headbirth
Mac Elite
May 5, 2006, 07:14 AM

OWC RAM is great! Never any problems here.

GrimStranger
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 5, 2006, 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by mduell
The chipset used in all the Intel Macs supports 4GB. Apple says the systems only support 2GB, but there are some other parts where Apple's specs say differently than Intel's and real-world experience (such as support for lower RAM speeds).
Wow, can anyone confirm that you can actually put 4Gig of ram in a MBP? I sure as hell want to max it out if possible since running a Parallels VM takes up a hefty chunk of my total ram.

vasu
Senior User
May 5, 2006, 04:00 PM

yeah someone's gotta take a plunge and see if it's recognized!

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
May 5, 2006, 06:34 PM

I'm running OWC ram in my Intel iMac at the moment and have used them in the past with no problems.

krove
Mac Elite
May 5, 2006, 10:48 PM

No problems here with OWC 1 GB add-on for my MBP.

How did it come to this? Goodbye PowerPC. | sensory output

SEkker
Grizzled Veteran
May 6, 2006, 12:31 AM

I consider OWC to be a great value -- good price (not rock bottom), but also comes with excellent support and very mac-friendly.

We have been using OWC RAM in all our Apple laptops (and recent iMacs) since the Al PB models came out.

Highly recommended (and using one 1 GB stick in this MBP as I type).

markponcelet  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 1, 2006, 01:41 PM

Just a quick note: I bought the 1GB OWC ram chip and installed it into my 17" MBP. Surely enough, it works flawlessly. I can now recommend it after having no problems despite daily, intense use for several weeks without a single problem.

Mark

xi_hyperon
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 1, 2006, 04:09 PM

I've purchased and used OWC RAM numerous times without any issues.

Bryanmc
Forum Regular
Jun 1, 2006, 05:32 PM

I'm running a 1GB Patroit stick from Newegg. $85 and it's working great so far.
MacBook Pro - 2.0GHz Core Duo
iBook - 1.2GHz G4
PowerMac - Dual Core 2.3GHz G5
Mac mini - 1.25GHz G4

tillin
Jun 1, 2006, 05:51 PM

i have had no problems with OWC ram.
i have 2GB of it in my 17" powerbook
and 6Gb of it in my G5 tower!
great prices, great service, great warranty and a great product.

also - and im going to say this again -

Apple will price match on RAM, it is easier to do in-store, but all you have to do is show them the competitors price, and they will match it for their "official" apple Ram.

no one seems to know this, but it was confirmed by numerous apple-store employees and the manager.

iBorg
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 1, 2006, 11:43 PM

Originally Posted by AGoglanian

Apple will price match on RAM, it is easier to do in-store, but all you have to do is show them the competitors price, and they will match it for their "official" apple Ram.

no one seems to know this, but it was confirmed by numerous apple-store employees and the manager.
Hmmm .... never heard that before, are you sure? If so, they would surely only price-match same-branded, same-SKU ram, which would be different from OWC ram typically.

Back on-topic, I've bought almost all my ram from OWC (Apple has ALWAYS been outrageous to have them add ram!) - far cheaper than Crucial, although not THE cheapest, and they have a lifetime warranty for replacement. Never had a single problem with any ram from OWC!

iBorg

jsousa
Jun 2, 2006, 12:37 PM

I just want to say; that I had that same problem with newegg years ago. The online status said denied, but then a month and a half later my Beige CD-RW Drive (Thats how long ago it was) showed up.

The thing with newegg is they are cheap, fast shipping (If your addresses Match) and they have easy returns (Except on CPUs and select items) at 15%. But a lot of companies hassle you a lot so returning stuff is almost impossible.

P.S. the reason some items cannot be returned is cause people would buy say 5 AMD Opteron CPUs; and check each one, then return the one that overclocks the highest.

ChrisF
Senior User
Jun 2, 2006, 12:59 PM

The 2 x 1GB RAM I just received from Crucial for a client's Macbook is Samsung.

motlatsi
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 2, 2006, 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by AGoglanian

I would like to know where you got this apple store service. I just spoke with the store manager at an apple store, an apple phone sales rep, and a customer relations person who all denied this claim. If you did get this offer, I'd love to know where.

tillin
Jun 2, 2006, 03:55 PM

the Apple store in Costa Mesa, CA at the south coast plaza mall.

if they lied to me then that is just completely stupid, but if its true that would be awfully cool.

at any rate, i buy my ram from OWC, and i will continue to do so in my future computers. its just easier i guess.

maybe i should go back and get it in writing?? haha!

hmp
Jun 2, 2006, 04:22 PM

Another positive note for OWC ram...working flawlessly for 2 months on my 1.83 ghz MBP

Forum Links
Forum Rules