Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Well....I'm On My 12th Macbook...Don't Know What To Do...Major Issues/Explanations

Well....I'm On My 12th Macbook...Don't Know What To Do...Major Issues/Explanations
PJJames
Forum Regular
Jun 6, 2006, 05:01 AM

Well guys, I know I may get blasted for having had 12 Macbooks since May 19th....but I would like to share my expierience with some of you guys.

I have been dealing with about 4 or 5 stores in the Los Angeles area, going back and forth returning my faulty Macbooks. Here's a list of all the issues I've had right from the get go.

Machine 1 - The clicker in the track pad was pushed hard to the right and up high on the left there for it was practically impossible to use it properly.
Machine 2 - Three dead pixels, a cluster actually, dead center of the screen.
Machine 3 - Dvd player didn't work and I know it didn't because I tried 8 different DVD's.
Machine 4 - At this point I decided to go with a Macbook Pro, it was dropping the Airport and whining like crazy in which case they told me to turn one of the processors off...I thought that was unacceptable so I decided to go back to a black Macbook.
Machine 5 - The bezel of the screen right by the iSight was detaching when I opened the hood exposing the LCD....they guessed because of the stong magnet.
Machine 6 - Once again, trackpad was lifeless....it wouldnt click. I litterally had to push hard dead center to get it to see my comand. The left and right side didn't work at all.
Machine 7 - Finish started flaking off right by the open latch in the front and the left speaker was distorting at mid volume.
Machine 8 - Downgraded to a White Macbook 2.0ghz and decided to be refunded the 215.00 difference. This machines caps lock key was crooked downwards and wouldn't engage.
Machine 9 - Opened right there in the store to do the data transfer and there was a LARGE chunk of plastic, once again, by the open latch in the front.
Machine 10 - Seemed to be ok for the past couple days, when I woke up this morning though, didn't have my T.V. running or headphones on, and noticed an unbelieveable whine, louder then the Macbook Pro's, coming from the processors. I turned off the second processor, and sure enough, thats what it was.
Machine 11 - Clicker was once again messed up, by far the worst. The right side got stuck immediatly as I tried it, I had to push the left side to get it to reset. I didn't even power it on.
Machine 12 - Once again, clicker issues. The left and right side WILL NOT register a "click" at all. The middle will....but with major force.

I'll be taking that one back in the morning. You guys have to believe me here, I'm not being picky....really I'm not. And I'm at the point of just wanting a solid machine. I was so excited for the release for this computer that I stayed up to witness it debut in the online store. I can't go without a laptop either because I'm a touring musician and need to have portable on the road with me.

I've waisted so much gas and time on trying to solve this issue...and at one store down here, the Century City store to be exact, they've been quiet rude both times I've explained my issue to them. Other stores have been cool. All the Genius Bar guys that look at the machines do recognize the issues and immediatly pull a new one for me...but it's getting old now. I'm considering just trying to get the one that was whining back because it's the least of any of those problems. I don't want a whining machine though...I have sensitive ears, and I think most of you will agree....just knowing theres an issue with your machine makes you squirm a bit.

Anyways, let me know what you guys have to say. If you wanna blast me, feel free...I understand you may think I'm picky or as someone said in another thread a hypocondriac. But I'm just a normal consumer who's had bad luck with a product and is at the point of feeling embarassed about this issue. Thanks for taking the time to read.
Full Pro Tools 7.1 M-Powered Rig.

Nivag
Mac Elite
Jun 6, 2006, 06:37 AM

crikey that is bad luck! I don't think you're being picky, if you pay for anything you expect it to work as it should, not have to put up with a dodgy button or any whining sound.

hopefully lucky 13 should work.

snoopy199
Forum Regular
Jun 6, 2006, 06:57 AM

I have to say after the 4 try, Id give up. I give you credit for sticktoitness

Gamoe
Mac Elite
Jun 6, 2006, 06:57 AM

PJJames, that's a major bad luck streak you got there. Do you have another notebook that can serve you? Maybe an older iBook? Maybe it's a "sign".

Seriously, maybe you should just return the MacBook, have them refund your money or give you store credit and make do with an iBook or such and wait it out until the next revision and then try again. It might even be worth waiting, if you can.

Oh, and don't be embarrased. After all, it's not your fault. It's Apple's. It's Apple that can't deliver, not you. It's Apple that should be embarrased. I know how you must feel, but it doesn't seem like you're being picky, just expecting a fully properly working machine.

WOPR
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 6, 2006, 07:02 AM

Is 12 a record do you think? That's crazy.

 iMac Core 2 Duo 17" 2ghz 3gb/250gb ||  iBook G4 12" 1.33ghz 1gb/40gb

stuffedmonkey
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 6, 2006, 08:49 AM

Fate hates you. Get a Dell.

force838
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 6, 2006, 09:07 AM

man, i would've given up a long time ago. gotta give it to ya, you must really love apple. i would've just gotten a refund (which i'm sure they would've given to you just to get you out of their hair) and got one of those sweet fujitsus. the macbook isn't THAT nice of a notebook.

good luck bud!

threshar
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 6, 2006, 09:44 AM

You should call Apple up and say "WTF, Mate!".

12 is simple unacceptible and ridiculous. I think they'd probably agree with you.

HarriganC
Forum Regular
Jun 6, 2006, 09:58 AM

Wow, sucks to be you. Seems absolutely wacky that most people never have a problem out of the box, and you have been handed twelve "lemons."

HarriganC
Forum Regular
Jun 6, 2006, 10:07 AM

I am not trying to bust your chops, however, if you don't get yourself settled soon, I will guarantee you that they are going to stop exchanging, and either require you to return, or send out for repair. By going to four different stores makes store employees even more suspicious. I worked for a large computer reseller, and customers that had excessive return/exchanges on one person would be flagged and loss prevention would basically say enough is enough. With the amount of problems your having, I would return the machine and wait for the next revision, or allow them to fix a trivial trackpad problem, which would cease all of your extra trips, time, and frustration.

Heavy
Forum Regular
Jun 6, 2006, 10:30 AM

Man, that's crazy. I have to admit when I first started reading I thought you're being way too anal. But any of those problems would merit a return imo. But maybe mine has more issues that I don't recognize. PJ, you're not allowed to play on my blackbook!

Couldn't they just fix one of them? For example, If everything else worked, wouldn't it be easy to install a new button on the trackpad?

I do notice my blackbook screen has a little issue when I open it. It feels like there is a little play around it and the camera because of the force of the magnet. I figured out a way to open it to avoid that. If I get lazy and just open it quickly, I could see it coming apart. The latch is a great idea, not so sure about the design.

SLiMeX
Senior User
Jun 6, 2006, 10:47 AM

Wow....just...wow...
BlacBook | 2.0ghz core duo | 2x320gb | 2gb ram | mba superdrive

TheoCryst
Mac Elite
Jun 6, 2006, 10:59 AM

Yeah, there's no way I would have made it past the fourth. I love Apple computers, but that is really ridiculous!

Any ramblings are entirely my own, and do not represent those of my employers, coworkers, friends, or species

shunt
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 6, 2006, 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by PJJames
...If you wanna blast me, feel free...
Why?

I think you're doing the right thing, just keep returning them until you get a perfect one.

You seem perfectly normal.
Please keep in mind the ambiguously selective general understandings we've all agreed upon...

im_noahselby
Senior User
Jun 6, 2006, 11:58 AM

I think you should consider purchasing a different computer. When I got my original 12" PB (rev c), I had to go through four of them in order to find one that didn't have a red pixel smack in the center of the display. I told myself that if on the fourth one, I didn't find a good screen, I'd look at purchasing a different computer from Apple. Luckily for me, my fourth laptop was fine and dead pixel free. I would have even accepted several dead or red pixels, just NOT in the center of the screen.

Look at Apple's other offerings, or maybe consider purchasing a used computer/laptop from a local seller that will let you view the machine before you buy it. Twelve returns is insane!

Noah
Macbook 2.0 Ghz - Black
iPhone 4GB - Fido

Neo.cmg
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 6, 2006, 12:25 PM

I personally think you're a little ridiculous. I would have sent in the first MacBook with the trackpad button issue for repair and have gotten it fixed already. Driving around so much in L.A. with gas prices as they are is just a waste of time and money. I would imagine if you really did an analysis of what that alone cost you, then you could probably have paid for nearly half a MacBook alone. Furthermore, with each return why didn't you open the new model there in the store and make sure that it was something you would be willing to take home and live with? Better yet, why didn't the Apple Store Genius insist that you do just that?

Not just you, but several others with threads regarding minor (in my opinion) build quality issues with their newly purchased Apple products seriously need to consider perhaps professional help for their obsessive compulsiveness. It's just a $1500 laptop. It doesn't have to be perfect. It's not something that's going to last you more than 3-4 years tops if even that, and you know it.

I really think the only time a return is warranted is when you first purchase the item and it does not boot up. Perhaps some glaringly obvious defects with different the components--but a sticky trackpad button and a few dead pixels does not cut it. I'm not trying to defend Apple--each one of these issues which you mention are more than likely a result of cheap mass production. You get what you pay for and if it seems like a high price, then you can figure inflation has a lot to do with it. Of course, that's just my opinion and everyone's entitled to their own.

mavherzog
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 6, 2006, 12:56 PM

I agree with having the system repaired. Probably would return the "whining" ones...but with the messed up trackpad button, I would have gotten it repaired under warranty.

Of course, I don't have an Apple store near me. It might be that, if I were in your shoes, my instant gratification gene would kick in and I would want an immediate replacement as well.

If/when I purchase a MacBook, it will be from Amazon (no tax and free shipping (ala Amazon Prime). I received a Mac mini from them that was totally dead. Brought it into my local authorized Apple repair center and had a perfectly-functioning mini in 2 days (i'd likely do the same thing if I received a faulty MacBook from Amazon).

G0Ducks
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 6, 2006, 12:57 PM

A loud resounding...*WRONG!*

Dude. When people purchase an apple product, they are not just buying a laptop, and YOU know it. If I had any of these, I would have been completely intolerant, and rightly so...
You have to remember that one of the biggest selling points for the MacBook (and previously the iBook) is that it is made of that special anti-suck material. I would expect (as I am sure apple does too, otherwise they would have told this guy to take a hike), that apple feels they want to uphold their image, quality, and customer expectations.

Remember, we aren't "driving" Chevys here... These are BMWs. Granted, a low-end one

R

Originally Posted by Neo.cmg
I personally think you're a little ridiculous. I would have sent in the first MacBook with the trackpad button issue for repair and have gotten it fixed already. Driving around so much in L.A. with gas prices as they are is just a waste of time and money. I would imagine if you really did an analysis of what that alone cost you, then you could probably have paid for nearly half a MacBook alone. Furthermore, with each return why didn't you open the new model there in the store and make sure that it was something you would be willing to take home and live with? Better yet, why didn't the Apple Store Genius insist that you do just that?

Not just you, but several others with threads regarding minor (in my opinion) build quality issues with their newly purchased Apple products seriously need to consider perhaps professional help for their obsessive compulsiveness. It's just a $1500 laptop. It doesn't have to be perfect. It's not something that's going to last you more than 3-4 years tops if even that, and you know it.

I really think the only time a return is warranted is when you first purchase the item and it does not boot up. Perhaps some glaringly obvious defects with different the components--but a sticky trackpad button and a few dead pixels does not cut it. I'm not trying to defend Apple--each one of these issues which you mention are more than likely a result of cheap mass production. You get what you pay for and if it seems like a high price, then you can figure inflation has a lot to do with it. Of course, that's just my opinion and everyone's entitled to their own.

Neo.cmg
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 6, 2006, 01:15 PM

Hey, if Apple is willing to keep replacing them and PJ is willing to put that much time and effort in the pursuit of their happiness with something they purchased, then more power to them. I just think PJ's enthusiasm is misplaced.

antdroid
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 6, 2006, 01:16 PM

wow !! well done for not settling for faulty units, many here are weak enough to take what ever apple gives them, then flame the ones who wont put up with bad units.

i am in uk and i just got my macbook, it had many faults,
wirelss dropping, brick sizzling, magsafe buzzin, high pitch whine and the most annoying , the moo!!..all the bloody time!

apple are sending me a new one, taking 10 days !..doh!

but im quite expecting the new one to have faults too...

so im gonna keep exchanging them till i get a good one (which after all is what im paying the money for)

i hope i dont have to go through 12 ! lol

but im gonna keep em for 2 weeks then return each time,

maybe ill still be returning when they upgrage the processor on it, and hope they finally give me a good one.

the moo didnt appear until 2nd day !, the other stuff i noticed as the days rolled by.

im a musician too, and logic seems great on it, but the noises are a problem.

i cant wait for a perfect macbook..i really love this laptop,

keep returning them un till the cows come home, or the mooing stops lol!

se12
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 6, 2006, 01:28 PM

No, Don't let them repair it. It's a BRAND NEW computer just out of the box. It should be working great.

No wonder people have started to report getting flawless Apples, you cleared Apples stock lol.

Just keep returning, call Apple as well. You never know, they may just feel embarassed enough to give you a refund, and the MacBook for free, but I doubt it. Its worth a shot though.

teknopimp
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 6, 2006, 02:00 PM

you must get number 13 today

MacBook 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo | Clamshell iBook G3 366MHz | 22" Cinema Display | iPod Mini | iPod shuffle | AirPort Express | Mighty Mouse

mathew_m
Senior User
Jun 6, 2006, 02:07 PM

You guys have to believe me here, I'm not being picky....really I'm not. And I'm at the point of just wanting a solid machine. I was so excited for the release for this computer that I stayed up to witness it debut in the online store.
Sorry dude I don't believe you. In no way would you out of thousands of buyers receive that many faulty Macbooks in a row. Either that or you are being exceptionally picky. I'm trully surprised Apple continues on giving you new units to open and then return. It's costing them a fortune to do so.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 6, 2006, 02:39 PM

I'm going to have to agree with mathew_m, at least to some extent. While I agree with the idea that customers shouldn't have to settle for a faulty machine, I'm starting to wonder if there are any MacBooks in existence that would satisfy PjJames. The AMAZING thing to me is that Apple let you do this 12 times in a row. 12!

Kyle Dreaden
Forum Regular
Jun 6, 2006, 02:45 PM

Hey man, I'll drop in with everyone and say that I thought you were crazy when I saw "Well... I'm on my 12th..." but after reading that list, I'm questioning my first thoughts.

I'm a former Apple Store employee, and I know the mentality of many Apple users and Apple employees alike. We're not your average computer users/buyers. We choose Apple because of outstanding design, reliability, and quality. If you buy something from Apple, you are paying a premium because let's be honest, Apple is more expensive comparatively.

With that said, don't give up! I've got a perfect Black Macbook on my first try and I'm very happy with it. I'm sure you'll get the right one eventually.

By the way, I'm a touring musician on the east coast. Just curious, what group are you with?
Desktop: 24" Aluminum/Black iMac 2.4GHz | 4GB RAM

Notebook: None | Want to buy a 12" Powerbook | PM ME!

PJJames  (op)
Forum Regular
Jun 6, 2006, 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by mathew_m
Sorry dude I don't believe you. In no way would you out of thousands of buyers receive that many faulty Macbooks in a row. Either that or you are being exceptionally picky. I'm trully surprised Apple continues on giving you new units to open and then return. It's costing them a fortune to do so.
This is the thing man, I am picky...maybe a little more then most. Thing is, when I buy a computer...a $1300 COMPUTER...it better work and work from the moment I push that power button for the first time to the last time. Now granted...with my powerbook I had befor this, It went in for two keyboards. So it had issues and that didn't bug me. They replaced the keyboard, I had it back in 3 days. I almost wish that I could send it in for repair because then they could just fix the issues at hand...but every store offers me a new one, it's not just me. I phoned this morning to the store closest to me and offered to take the one that was whining back and the woman said "no no no, I wouldn't have you do that. Come in and we'll get you a working machine." So it looks like she'll take care of me today, we'll see. Maybe the reason I haven't given up is because I have faith in apple and their product. I think most of us can agree these computer make our lives that much better and I'm fixated right now on getting a machine that is good for me. I can't deal with being pissed off for two years, a year, or even a month, over not being able to play or burn a dvd in my computer that comes equipt with a great burner/player. Or have the whine of an idle processor making noise when I'm mixing a song for a client...it can't happen. Wish me luck and thanks for all the advice and responses...it's good to know most of you don't think I'm cursed or going crazy, haha.

tillin
Jun 6, 2006, 03:10 PM

I don't think you're crazy. a bit picky? yes of course, but lets be honest, who isnt? lol.

I am dreadfully sorry to hear that you had such an insane string of bad rigs. it just baffles me really. when i bought my first mac in 2004 ( im a switcher! ) it was my 17" powerbook, i did BTO maxed out on everything but RAM, and it took me 2 weeks to get it, but this computer has never once developed any sort of hiccup or had any faulty manufacturing issue of any kind. i was so pleased with that, it truly shocks me to hear of the defects coming out of the factory, but i fell victim to it myself.

when i bought my G5 ( dual 2.7Ghz ) within a month of me owning it, both processors and the powersupply had gone bad. all at once! lol. apple tried to say it was my 3rd party RAM at first. but upon their inspection they realized i was right lol, they replaced everything for free, essentially building me a brand new computer. they even upgraded my hard drive for me to 400GB (no they didnt replace the unit, because the serial number still matched up with my original one). i will always stay with apple, and if i get a faulty machine i will simply take it to them and have them fix the problem.

i still fully intend to buy a REV B macbook, because by the time they come out, photoshop should be universal, and i can start the switch to intel.

when photoshop comes out. ill sell my flawless powerbook, and take a chance with a macbook. with pleasure.

good luck in your quest for the perfect macbook james, i hope you find one!

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jun 6, 2006, 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by teknopimp
you must get number 13 today
...on 6/6/06...

Oooo...devil worshipper!

dahcar
Jun 6, 2006, 04:11 PM

i'm calling bullsh*t on this one. sounds like the powerbook in the toilet thing.

mathew_m
Senior User
Jun 6, 2006, 04:18 PM

Wish me luck and thanks for all the advice and responses...it's good to know most of you don't think I'm cursed or going crazy, haha.
Whatever. Luck is definitely not on your side. In fact I'd be scared to cross the street if I were you.

Of course having worked in customer service for years along with owning my own business I do know that there are people such as yourself who are never satisfied with a purchase. It might very well be an illness.

freakboy2
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 6, 2006, 06:08 PM

i wonder if they aren't giving you machines that other people have returned. even if 50% of the apple machines are faulty, the chances of getting 12 in a row is what? like 1 in 5000?

And the broken rate can't be 50%. There's no way. If it's lets say 20% then the chances of getting 12 in a row is 1 in 250 million.

Jake_11
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 6, 2006, 06:41 PM

That is horrible luck. I've heard of a few people having problems, but nothing like that. Almost think the same as the above poster, must be giving you the returned ones. I bought a white one with no problems.
MacBook 1.83GHz, 1GB
MacBook 2.0Ghz, 2GB
iPhone 8GB

cal-ov-whe
Jun 6, 2006, 07:22 PM

Oh my goodness.

THANK YOU!

HarriganC
Forum Regular
Jun 6, 2006, 10:07 PM

I more I read this the more I get annoyed. Anyone who complains about macs being priced to high.. well apple consumers are the most picky, retentive people. I PJ, I absolutely can't wait for an apple store manager, to tell you "Sir, it is obvious none of our machines are satisfactory to you," refund you and wave goodbye. If you truly have all legitmate problems, I owe you an apology, but I really believe, either (1) you have nothing better to do than whine on macnn about all of your "faulty machines," (2) like the attention at the apple store, or (3) are mac hater and trying to sabotage the product. What I think is absolutely hysterical are the whines, and miniscule cosmetic defects, if you were to walk into any major consumer electronics store with those issues they would look at you with 10 eyes.

unix
Jun 6, 2006, 10:57 PM

Machine 11 - Clicker was once again messed up, by far the worst. The right side got stuck immediatly as I tried it, I had to push the left side to get it to reset. I didn't even power it on.
I think that pretty much says it all. If you're returning MacBooks without even turning them on, you ARE being picky. You don't even know how that button actually worked cause you never tried it. I've recently switched over from a ThinkPad, and simply put, the MacBook button needs a little bit more force to register. That's it. It's stiff. In the long run, that is better cause it won't become lose very soon. Did you try fixing the clicker by putting the small piece of paper under the trackpad inside the battery compartment?

Also they fact that you are going to 4 different stores shows that you yourself know that you're being picky. If you were absolutely certain every machine had a defect you would go back to the same store. What sense does it make going to a different store than the one you got it from to return it? I wouldn't expect people to be very nice to me either when i take back 5 of the same products and tell them their all defective, bringing in a loss of $6,000 for them, from just one customer.

Originally Posted by G0Ducks
A loud resounding...*WRONG!*

Dude. When people purchase an apple product, they are not just buying a laptop, and YOU know it. If I had any of these, I would have been completely intolerant, and rightly so...
You have to remember that one of the biggest selling points for the MacBook (and previously the iBook) is that it is made of that special anti-suck material. I would expect (as I am sure apple does too, otherwise they would have told this guy to take a hike), that apple feels they want to uphold their image, quality, and customer expectations.

Remember, we aren't "driving" Chevys here... These are BMWs. Granted, a low-end one
All companies are going to want to uphold their image, quality and customer expectations. No one company is gonna say, Oh, we don't care about that. Customer satisfaction is the only way they can hope to make some money. But this is simply pushing it.

I worked with an IBM distribution company once, and we sold a 1000 Thinkpads to a University in 2005. We went in with 1050 units, and came back with 50 unopened units. Units which had issues on opening like faulty clickers were immediately fixed there. It makes no sense to open up a whole new box for one faulty mouse button, which takes like a minute to fix. IBM has a strong policy in place saying that if your unit has a dead pixel, deal with it. Unless there are 9 or more dead pixels, there will be no exchange. It is common knowledge that LCD's are prone to dead pixels, and its a risk you undertake when u buy a product with an LCD screen. IBM has as good an image as Apple if not better in terms of their laptops. This is taking simple advantage of a company which wants to please its customers. If you take a 54" television back to say Samsung with say 2 bad pixels, they're not going to give a hoot about it. That's just how it is.

hldan
Mac Elite
Jun 6, 2006, 11:22 PM

Well instead of blasting the poor fellow for having soooo many problematic MacBooks I am going to thank him instead for just being stupid. Now that he's cleared all the bad ones out of circulation I can buy a nice well working one. It's a bit unnecessary to be that tolerant but then again his story doesn't seem to be completely true if you really read between the lines...
iMac 24" 2.8 Ghz Core 2 Extreme
500GB HDD
4GB Ram
Proud new Owner!

jere_69
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 6, 2006, 11:35 PM

I find it quite amazing that you managed to get 12 Macbooks that had issues with them. Even more amazing is that you continue to purchase and return them and then create a thread wanting to know what we think about you because of it. Obviously you'll never be happy with any of the machines and should really start looking at another model.

krystle
Jun 6, 2006, 11:48 PM

Yeah, I agree. You need to take your head out of your @$$ and get with the picture. It's a computer dude...get a grip. You are obviously far too picky to own any piece of eletronics. Buy a Dell and get some help, or a life...that's the first thing I would do if I even considered spending that amount of time exchanging computers for idiotic and petty problems. I can go on lambasting (Hey, you asked for it...remember that), but I'm drunk, and tired, so goodnight.

jere_69
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 6, 2006, 11:51 PM

You said that machine 10 was whining this morning.....when did you purchase Machine 11 and 12?

Hi I'm Ben
Mac Elite
Jun 7, 2006, 12:46 AM

You're picky and annoying. Please stop buying these computers. I think you imagine most of your problems. Anyone here agreeing with you is also completely insane so take what they say with a grain of salt. I'm not going to tell you to buy a Dell. Infact I want you to seek mental treatment.

PJJames  (op)
Forum Regular
Jun 7, 2006, 01:21 AM

Wow...all I can say is wow. I feel totally offended right now. I didn't expect many of those responses. I'm sorry you guys feel I'm lying....I'm not....and I really liked this website, my opinion has gone down majorly towards those of you that I thought were cool people.

jsousa
Jun 7, 2006, 01:47 AM

I bought a 512mb (Upgraded to 2GB Patriot) 100GB 1.83Ghz 15.4" MBP Refurbed for $1,600.

I think that its really quite fabulous. My eject key is a little skewed and aprt of the aluminum case was bent but I pushed it in; plus I had to push down on my track pad to seat it in their more.

But having owned dells and such i think that this level of craftsmanship is remarkable. I personally love it.

uicandrew
Senior User
Jun 7, 2006, 01:50 AM

everyone is entitled to their own set of values/opinions. what some see as their "right" as a consumer, others see as "nitpicking."

Some people are simply more demanding, have higher expectations, and/or are paranoid of getting "taken advantage of." these people may send the food back to the kitchen in a restaurant, demand to speak to a manager if there is a problem, or may think that he/she is the center of the universe. Often, these people have never worked in a customer service setting so they don't realize how much of a jerk they really are being.

but hey, it is the demanding customer that makes companies improve their products/services. I mean, if everyone was more accepting/understanding of their situation, the world may be a better place, but then there may not be a need for 5 star hotels, cars that are reliable (ie - my camry), restaurants with good tasting food, or Operating systems that crash constantly.

Let's not forget that Steve Jobs is a very demanding guy, and if he wasn't yelling at engineers about software and hardware, then we all may be using dells.
Mac User since Summer 2005 (started with G4 mini bought from macnn forums!)

unix
Jun 7, 2006, 01:52 AM

Anyways, let me know what you guys have to say. If you wanna blast me, feel free...I understand you may think I'm picky or as someone said in another thread a hypocondriac. But I'm just a normal consumer who's had bad luck with a product and is at the point of feeling embarassed about this issue. Thanks for taking the time to read.
You asked for our opinion dude, that's what you got. And trust me, changing 12 MacBooks is not COOL in anyway.
IMHO that is.

hldan
Mac Elite
Jun 7, 2006, 02:44 AM

Wow...all I can say is wow. I feel totally offended right now. I didn't expect many of those responses. I'm sorry you guys feel I'm lying....I'm not....and I really liked this website, my opinion has gone down majorly towards those of you that I thought were cool people.

You sir a fulla horse chips!! You certainly DID expect those responses.

You said, and I quote, "Anyways, let me know what you guys have to say. If you wanna blast me, feel free...I understand you may think I'm picky or as someone said in another thread a hypocondriac."

You are nothing but a troll if nobody has picked up on this yet. You wanted to start a long thread to get attention. Telling us about all of your exchanges does nothing to help you, all it does is create haters for Apple's products which is what trolls try to suceed in doing.

Question: So PJJames, what did you accomplish here?
Answer: Being a troll.
500GB HDD
4GB Ram
Proud new Owner!

PJJames  (op)
Forum Regular
Jun 7, 2006, 02:52 AM

Im truely sorry you guys feel this way. I was not trying for attention or to get my post count up or any of that....I wanted opionions....I got them, that's all. I understand people feel centain ways and thats fine...no harm done.

hldan
Mac Elite
Jun 7, 2006, 03:03 AM

Im truely sorry you guys feel this way. I was not trying for attention or to get my post count up or any of that....I wanted opionions....I got them, that's all. I understand people feel centain ways and thats fine...no harm done.
Lucky for you this will be my last post on this matter but in regards to you saying that you wanted opinions? If you were on your second or 3rd MacBook and were still unhappy then posting here for an opinion makes sense but after 13 notebooks (so you say) what opinions could anyone possibly give you that would really help. You made all of the decisions yourself. Be as it may you have every right to post your situation however this kind of absurdity is not appreciated, again it's called trolling.
500GB HDD
4GB Ram
Proud new Owner!

Gamoe
Mac Elite
Jun 7, 2006, 04:06 AM

Originally Posted by Hi I'm Ben
I think you imagine most of your problems. Anyone here agreeing with you is also completely insane so take what they say with a grain of salt.
The fact is that we don't really know whether PJJames is being sincere or not. It's the same with the vast majority of posts and even things other people tell us. We only have the person's word in many cases. And we can either choose to put faith in it, or not. I choose to accept his post as sincere. If he is not being sincere then bad on him, but if he is, then he's right to return the MacBooks.

I do agree that you should have opened and turned on the MacBooks in front of the Apple reps after at least the third or fourth one, PJJames. And though I'd prefer a new MacBook rather than having a new one repaired... really, after the third or fourth, I'd much rather just get a minor issue repaired.

What's really the difference between a repaired MacBook and one that isn't? Nothing. In fact, I tend to think that a lot of times it's even better to have a unit repaired, just because you have techs looking specifically at your Mac making sure everything's all right. And you never know, sometimes they might fix something that could have been a problem in the future, or even give you an upgrade.

Anyway, tell us how everything went. If you get a dud this time, I really suggest you either have it repaired or just give up on the MacBook right now. Regardless of whether you're right or wrong, going to different stores and making so many returns will make you look bad, unfortunately.

global
Baninated
Jun 7, 2006, 05:29 AM

Damn! I hope this thread does not represent normal
posting behavior in these forums.

If the other members of this forum are as anal retentive,
closeminded, and hateful towards posters such as PJ,
i will not be spending much time here....
( Last edited by g/re/p; Jun 7, 2006 at 05:36 AM. )

antdroid
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 7, 2006, 09:47 AM

wow ..you guys who are dissing this guy are aholes....

i believe he really did go through 12!....

i dont think hes being picky either !

sure computers make noises, but that mooo..thats the fan going on and of ...now that should not be happening!...thats a legitimate return issue ..if you think not then you are just apple geeks..not human.

the sizzling brick doesnt worry you guys ? what if its a sign that its about to burst into flames in the night and burn your wife and children to death ?...would you not think...if only i had seen the sign.......?

if the trackpad button has to be pressed hard and misses the click alot, are you just going to put up with that ? because you are weak ?..im having to use a mouse because this button on the returning macbook hardly works...

tjhe point is , here in uk we pay more than usa for our black macbook, here its $2060 !! more or less.

now for that money we better get good machines or apple can loose `$6000 or what ever you said for the returns....

stop whinging about people standing up for their rights! why should we feel scared to replace a macbook with a new one in case its another bad one, we should not have a brand new macbook repaired as soon as we get it !

im on macbook numb 1...numb 2 this week, if its good..ill tell everyone here.
if its bad..ill also post here...

now i bought a quad 3 months ago, the first one fan was spinning like washing machine...apple said thats not right so i got another, the next one was burning in side with smoke...that went back, i went thru 3 !!

are you saying i should just accept it coz its costing apple money.

i love apple products, i must have spent over $40,000 on them over 20 years....

but i will not accept crap just because its apple...

let me know when your on macbook 20 and we'll have a party lol !!!!!

good luck, and do post back when you get a good one

uk.

Forum Links
Forum Rules