Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > Dazzle Hollywood Analog - DV Converter

Dazzle Hollywood Analog - DV Converter
PBG4 User
Senior User
Feb 23, 2001, 02:09 PM

I have an analog camcorder and I want to get the video into PB at full resolution. The only firewire product I was able to find was the Dazzle Hollywood Analog to DV (and back) converter.

Has anyone used this? How did you like it? Pros/Cons?

Please let me know.

20" iMac G5! :D AND MacBook 1.83GHz!
Canon Digital Rebel Kit + 75 - 300mm lens. Yum Yum! :D
Check out my OS X Musical Scales program

DominikHoffmann
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 8, 2001, 07:23 PM

By now you have probably seen the posts about the Formac Studio. It has considerably more functionality than the Dazzle Hollywood-DV at only $100 more.

Dominik

PBG4 User  (op)
Senior User
Mar 9, 2001, 07:31 PM

Dominik,

I'm concerned only with video and sound quality. Any extras are nice, but the video is my highest concern.

I still haven' t found anyone who has actually used this
20" iMac G5! :D AND MacBook 1.83GHz!
Canon Digital Rebel Kit + 75 - 300mm lens. Yum Yum! :D
Check out my OS X Musical Scales program

matttichenor
Mar 11, 2001, 05:11 PM

I use the Sony DVMC DA2 media converter. It's great, I think it costs about 350 us and it has performed flawlessly for me. Includes LANC control for older camcorders that have LANC deck functions.

very nice, very small and absolutely simple to use. I can't complain about the quality.

matt

larryone
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 12, 2001, 01:15 AM

I'm currently using Dazzle Hollywood Bridge, converting some old film previously transferred to analog video and well as 8mm video with iMovie. Based on previous posts, I guess it really it a question of what you want.
I wanted a affordable entry-point to see if the analog->digital w/ iMovie worked on my upgraded 6500. (Crescendo G3, 20GB, 64MB w/ FW/USB support). To date, I'm pleased with the results.

tomk
Apr 16, 2001, 04:50 AM

Larryone, can you tell me how the movies were transferred to analog video? I just read a post elsewhere in this forum from someone who tried it with various projectors and a mirror box and a DV camcorder with variable speed, and he said he had a major problem with flickering. I'm wondering if that is a problem peculiar to DV, and doesn't happen in analog??

Forum Links
Forum Rules