Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > MacBook Battery Time

MacBook Battery Time
liquidsilver6840
Forum Regular
Jul 7, 2007, 12:35 PM

Hey..

Can any of you guys tell me around how much time the MacBook's battery will last with a bluetooth Mighty Mouse and connected to a wireless connection, using a text editor a browsing the web.

Thanks in advance!

MacBook 1.83Ghz Core Duo / 1GB RAM / 60GB HDD
iPod Nano First Gen 1GB Black

isleofjib
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 7, 2007, 12:52 PM

on my MB, i'm getting about 4 1/2-5 hrs of battery connected wirelessly, but no bluetooth connections, just surfing the web.

utw-Mephisto
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 7, 2007, 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by isleofjib View Post
on my MB, i'm getting about 4 1/2-5 hrs of battery connected wirelessly, but no bluetooth connections, just surfing the web.
Same here but it also depends how bright you set your screen ...
chmod a+x /bin/laden -- Allows anyone the permission to execute /bin/laden

liquidsilver6840  (op)
Forum Regular
Jul 7, 2007, 02:06 PM

Hmm.... You guys are right.. It all depends on the screen brightness.. What is you common setting for the brightness?

utw-Mephisto
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 7, 2007, 02:09 PM

When I am home and I have access to a power socket (when I am not too lazy to get of the sofa) then full bright, but when I am at work and I am too lazy to take the power cable then three - four dots (don't know how to explain it better) .. when I am just listening to music, I turn the light down or simply set the screen to switch of after one minute ...
chmod a+x /bin/laden -- Allows anyone the permission to execute /bin/laden

isleofjib
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 7, 2007, 02:18 PM

i have it about 1/2 brightness when plugged in and about 1/3 when using the battery.

liquidsilver6840  (op)
Forum Regular
Jul 7, 2007, 02:35 PM

I imagine that you are not under direct lighting, right? I think that in school I'll need to use it around 2/3 of brightness..

isleofjib
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 7, 2007, 02:41 PM

not direct light like in the sun, no. but my living room is pretty bright during the day and that's where i use it most of the time. at these settings, it's plenty bright for me.

liquidsilver6840  (op)
Forum Regular
Jul 7, 2007, 02:45 PM

I thought that I use the brightness at 100% but now I just noticed I use it around 1/3. HAHA, who knew?

isleofjib
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 7, 2007, 03:34 PM

lol. and here i was wondering if i just had an exceptionally bright display.

liquidsilver6840  (op)
Forum Regular
Jul 7, 2007, 04:19 PM

lol... I compared the MacBook's display with one of those Sony's Mac-wannabe and those are much brighter and colors are richer. =S

PhotoBug
Forum Regular
Jul 7, 2007, 05:49 PM

which are brighter? sony's?

liquidsilver6840  (op)
Forum Regular
Jul 7, 2007, 05:52 PM

Yup, sadly Sony's are brighter.

PhotoBug
Forum Regular
Jul 8, 2007, 01:45 PM

well if people are keeping their Apple displays on 1/3 i guess it doesn't matter much. unless you need to light up a room with your laptop.

robshoy
Jul 8, 2007, 06:29 PM

Hmmm, I just got my Macbook and I haven't officially counted, but I'm thinking about 4-5 hours, maybe less. It seems like it's going by really fast. What's weird is that it goes from 100 to like 70 in like half an hour, and then goes from 69 to 0 in like 4-5 hours. Is this just more of Apple not knowing how to do a battery display properly? Because on the iPods, they're inaccurate as hell. You'll be watching a video and your bar goes to one smidgen of red, then you're browsing music and it suddenly jumps up to like 85% in the green. Weeiiird.

liquidsilver6840  (op)
Forum Regular
Jul 8, 2007, 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by robshoy View Post
Hmmm, I just got my Macbook and I haven't officially counted, but I'm thinking about 4-5 hours, maybe less. It seems like it's going by really fast. What's weird is that it goes from 100 to like 70 in like half an hour, and then goes from 69 to 0 in like 4-5 hours. Is this just more of Apple not knowing how to do a battery display properly? Because on the iPods, they're inaccurate as hell. You'll be watching a video and your bar goes to one smidgen of red, then you're browsing music and it suddenly jumps up to like 85% in the green. Weeiiird.
Have you properly calibrated your battery?

isleofjib
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 8, 2007, 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by robshoy View Post
my guess is they anticipate remaining battery life based on current usage...so if you stop watching videos, it'll last longer and the display changes to reflect the new circumstances. i know my MB seems to do similar things when i go from working it hard to doing nothing with it.

robshoy
Jul 8, 2007, 09:03 PM

Not yet. I'll have to though...

Forum Links
Forum Rules