Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Which new ipod?

View Poll Results: Which one?
Poll Options:
shuffle 0 votes (0%)
fatty nano 5 votes (9.26%)
ipod classic 9 votes (16.67%)
ipod touch 25 votes (46.30%)
iphone with new price 5 votes (9.26%)
not upgrading now 10 votes (18.52%)
don't have & don't want ipod/iphone. 0 votes (0%)
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll
Which new ipod?
Enigmatic
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 5, 2007, 02:33 PM

Well the new ipods are revealed(though not all available atm).

Are you gonna be getting one of the new ipods? Maybe a new iphone with the price drop? Gonna stick with your current ipod? Buy an older model on the cheap? Or maybe you don't even have or want an ipod/iphone.

I'm personally thinking of the ipod touch, mostly because I really wanted safari on the ipod(without the phone since I live in Canada). I'd have to go for the 16gb to be an upgrade on my 8gb nano(the 8gb on the touch will be less capacity that the 8gb 2g nano since the os takes up a good chunk of space).
Although I might just keep the nano a bit longer and wait for a 32gb version. I wish the ipod touch stayed with hard drives though.

Also, a little off topic but anyone else notice that this is the second "zen" name that apple used that creative has already used for an mp3 player? First the zen "nano" and now the zen "touch". Maybe I should hold out for the iPod Vision: M.

Flagheimer
Sep 5, 2007, 02:40 PM

I really wanted the iPod Touch with a built-in camera... I'll wait.

TheoCryst
Mac Elite
Sep 5, 2007, 02:48 PM

Classic for the win. I need a new iPod anyway, and 8 gigs isn't enough.

I'll be getting an iPhone as soon as my Verizon contract is up, though.

Any ramblings are entirely my own, and do not represent those of my employers, coworkers, friends, or species

richwig83
Mac Elite
Sep 5, 2007, 02:51 PM

I want an ipod touch with a hdd of at least 80gb.... although a ipod classic 120gb sounds good!!!!
MacBook Pro 2.2 i7 | 4GB | 128GB SSD ~ 500GB+2TB Externals ~ iPhone 4 32GB
Canon 5DII | EF 24-105mm IS USM | EF 100-400mm L IS USM | 50mm 1.8mkII
iMac | Mac Mini | 42" Panasonic LED HDTV | PS3

ajprice
Professional Poster
Sep 5, 2007, 03:14 PM

In that case the classic will sound even better .

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

butterfly0fdoom
Senior User
Sep 5, 2007, 03:29 PM

I don't really need to replace my iPod at the time, it's just a year old. But the new nano's design makes me drool, while the new classic's capacity makes me salivate.
MacBook Core 2 Duo 2.16 (Black)
iPod classic 160GB
iPhone 8GB

Busemann
Mac Elite
Sep 5, 2007, 03:54 PM

A silver 160GB Classic for me. Finally an iPod that can store all my tunes. The touch seems rather useless with just 8-16GB imho. After the price drop, who wouldn't just get an iPhone instead?

Enigmatic  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 5, 2007, 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by Busemann View Post
After the price drop, who wouldn't just get an iPhone instead?
Anyone outside the US (who doesn't want a hacked phone, possibly with no warranty), and the people out there that need more that 7-8gb.

Voch
Mac Elite
Sep 5, 2007, 04:19 PM

I use my current iPod mini almost exclusively while driving so a touch-based one is a major no-no. I guess I'm going to take a look at either the iPod classic 80GB (which is way too much storage for my piddly collection), the new iPod nano 8GB, the previous iPod nano 8GB, or stick with my iPod mini 4GB and maybe perform some CF card surgery. Decisions, decisions...

Don't get me wrong, though...the iPod touch would be great if I had to web surf on-the-go and had wi-fi access.

AlbertDeschesne
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 5, 2007, 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by Voch View Post
Don't get me wrong, though...the iPod touch would be great if I had to web surf on-the-go and had wi-fi access.
It does!
Albert Deschesne
Unibody 15" Macbook Pro, 2.4GHz, 9600M GT, 2 Gig Ram | OS X | WindowsXP (Games Only)
8 gig iPhone

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 5, 2007, 05:16 PM

Oh....wow.

Those colors on the new nanos are GROSS. I was so happy when they came out with the bright, beautiful colors for the nanos and the shuffles. Those look medicinal to me - muted and greyish and really gross.

The iPod touch (aka iPDA) is hot and not at all unexpected, but I won't be upgrading. I'll keep my 60GB photo until it dies on me, and then I'm stuck buying another iPod because of my iLuv alarm clock.

But. Seriously. Those new nanos are fugly as hell. And I can't say I'm particularly thrilled with the new interface on all of them.

And they changed the colors on the shuffles, too! Bummer. At least now that means that the old colors are (hopefully) going to cost less, and I can buy me a lime green one. I'm surprised they didn't upgrade to 2GB on those to compete with Creative's Zen Stone.

Aside from the iPDA, overall a mondo disappointment.
Sell or send me your vintage Mac things if you don't want them.

Voch
Mac Elite
Sep 5, 2007, 11:39 PM

Originally Posted by AlbertDeschesne View Post
It does!
Believe me...I know it does, and it's freakin' sweet. What I meant is that *I* don't really need that...just a basic music-playin' iPod that I can navigate (well, skip the occasional song on my playlists) without looking at it while driving.

I think the 80GB iPod classic may be in my near future, though.

Voch

butterfly0fdoom
Senior User
Sep 6, 2007, 12:56 AM

I like the new colors for the nano and the shuffle (besides the purple shuffle, god, that's ugly. Orange was better). I do wish they offered the classic in more colors. I really like the blue (160GB and pastel blue.... I'd totally got for it).
MacBook Core 2 Duo 2.16 (Black)
iPod classic 160GB
iPhone 8GB

iDaver
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 6, 2007, 03:01 AM

Originally Posted by Voch View Post
I use my current iPod mini almost exclusively while driving so a touch-based one is a major no-no.
For those of us who want just simple music players, the touch screen is overkill. I think a lot of gear heads are into all that stuff but a lot of people could never figure out how to set a clock on a VCR. They won't want to figure out an iPod touch. For that matter, some people, believe it or not, can't operate a click wheel iPod without help from their kids. The simpler these things are, the better. Not having to look at the device to operate it, as you mention, is a huge plus in my opinion.

I really like the new colors of the nanos. I thought the 2nd Gen colors were obnoxiously bright. These new ones are more subtle and easy on the eyes. I might buy a blue or green one this weekend, but I never would have bought a blue, green of fuschia nano of the previous generation...yuck.

Enigmatic  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 6, 2007, 11:33 AM

Well I happened to come into some money today and it looks like I will be ready to get a 16gb ipod touch when it comes out later this month. 16gb is plenty for me, coming from 8gb I'll be statisfied.

dbranham
Forum Regular
Sep 7, 2007, 12:59 AM

I've been operating on a 2gb nano for some time now. That 8gb nano fatty would be great for me to supplement my iPhone. Even the 4gb would probably satisfy me. Just gotta be more selective a/ my playlists.

I love the touchscreen, but there are occasions when I'd certainly prefer a clickwheel.
Old Times There Are Not Forgotten

Forum Links
Forum Rules