Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > New MacBook Pros are Released!!

New MacBook Pros are Released!! (Page 2)
Simon
Posting Junkie
Feb 27, 2008, 05:32 AM

Both 1GB SO-DIMMS are removable. The least expensive way is to buy two 2GB SO-DIMMs from a place like Newegg and install them yourself. It's very easy. You can keep the old DIMMs (some people like to put them in if they have to send the MBP to Apple for warranty repair) or you can sell them to reduce the upgrade cost. Paying Apple $400 for the upgrade is a bad deal.

Glenn
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 27, 2008, 06:35 AM

I've been using a maxxed out last revision 12" PB, and before that a 12" iBook, 10.5" PB 2400, and 9.5" PB 520. I fortunately have the resources to buy any machine I desire, but have been obviously committed to the small but full function form factor (so not a subnotebook or MBA). I've been patiently awaiting a 12" MB, but it just doesn't look like it's going to happen. I really need to upgrade, so I think I'm going to relent and pull the trigger on a new 13" MB. It will be sad to buy my first Mac (loyal since 1985) with a built-in regret that I really wanted something else.

Geofries
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 27, 2008, 09:38 AM

Some of you kill me with your "loyal" statements. Apple is just a regular company. OSX is just a good OS. Stop praising them.

ctt1wbw
Mac Elite
Feb 27, 2008, 09:47 AM

Just a "good" OS.

justinkim
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 27, 2008, 07:30 PM

IMO, this looks like a nice update, but I'm waiting for Centrino 2 all the same. My 2.33 still has some life left in her.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Feb 27, 2008, 10:32 PM

Originally Posted by Love Calm Quiet View Post
MDuell:
Looks like your get-work-done setup is a MBA with 23" CD. That combo work well for your productivity?
(I've wondered about the "mini-DVI" connector)

What you use it for mostly?
(I do web design & use PB w/ 17" CD for one Dreamweaver, one browser display - and am thinking about upgrades).
The micro-DVI port is actually the best video connection port I've used in a while. HDMI always feels a bit loose and DVI is big with exposed pins; micro-DVI is a lot like USB, a connector done well. I'm not thrilled with the ACD, but it works.

I use it for office productivity and some development... I usually have Mail, iChat, Firefox, Pages, Numbers, Keynote, Word, Excel, iTunes, and Terminal open, which is fine on 2GB RAM in Leopard. I find that I use Expose a lot when connected to the ACD and Spaces more when I'm mobile for extended periods to make up for the lack of screen real estate.

Wifi is useless in closed lid mode, so buy the USB Ethernet adapter if you're going to do it. Wifi range is fine but not great with the lid open.

hedmisten
Feb 27, 2008, 10:46 PM

...in that case I would have been loyal to microsoft for decades...OSX is a great OS and it creates loyalty(commitment) quickly.
08 Whitebook 2.2 2.0.120.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Feb 28, 2008, 04:45 AM

Well it's commonly known that while Mac users (like many Linux users) usually adore their computer, most Windows users use it... well mainly because they have to. There are very few people who actually use Windows because they seriously think it's a superior OS. But even so, it's been working out quite well for MS.

Forum Links
Forum Rules