Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > MobileMe Apology

MobileMe Apology
ccrider
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 16, 2008, 10:31 AM

Hah just got this email from apple:

MobileMe services are now available

We have recently completed the transition from .Mac to MobileMe. Unfortunately, it was a lot rockier than we had hoped.
Although core services such as Mail, iDisk, Sync, Back to My Mac, and Gallery went relatively smoothly, the new MobileMe web applications had lots of problems initially. Fortunately we have worked through those problems and the web apps are now up and running.
Another snag we have run into is our use of the word "push" in describing everything under the MobileMe umbrella. While all email, contact or calendar changes on the iPhone and the web apps are immediately synced to and from the MobileMe "cloud," changes made on a PC or Mac take up to 15 minutes to sync with the cloud and your other devices. So even though things are indeed instantly pushed to and from your iPhone and the web apps today, we are going to stop using the word "push" until it is near-instant on PCs and Macs, too.
We want to apologize to our loyal customers and express our appreciation for their patience by giving all current subscribers an automatic 30-day extension to their MobileMe subscription free of charge. Your extension will be reflected in your account settings within the next few weeks.
We hope you enjoy your new suite of web applications at me.com, in addition to keeping your iPhone and iPod touch wirelessly in sync with these new web applications and your Mac or PC.
Thank you,
The MobileMe Team
( Last edited by ccrider; Jul 16, 2008 at 02:09 PM. )

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Jul 16, 2008, 10:54 AM

As well they should. Clearly they bit off more then they can chew. I don't understand how they ran into so many problems with the applications.

Also the push definition was also a sour point for many people thinking that updating something on your mac would be push nearly instantly over to their other devices.

Full-Auto
Forum Regular
Jul 16, 2008, 11:14 AM

Well, I think Apple deserves cudo's for pulling it off, regardless. That's a HUGE undertaking and honestly, I've seen MUCH smaller projects go far worse.

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 16, 2008, 11:21 AM

iDisk file Sharing and list view is still not pulled off yet.

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Jul 16, 2008, 11:23 AM

Nice gesture by Apple.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jul 16, 2008, 12:16 PM

Apple misspelled "services"

This is a nice gesture, but once again this is the negative ramification of relying on only fluffy marketing to sell your stuff in the absence of any real technical information (in terms of expectations of Mac -> MobileMe syncing). This isn't the first time Apple has done this sort of thing.

64stang06
Mac Elite
Jul 16, 2008, 01:22 PM

Well, they need a reason to sell Snow Leopard, so maybe that's why push isn't available via Mail.
MacBook Pro 13" 2.8GHz Core i7/8GB RAM/750GB Hard Drive - Mac OS X 10.7.3

ccrider  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 16, 2008, 02:08 PM

...actually that was me who misspelled "services"
the actual header was a gif so I typed it out, albeit poorly...

there! All fixed!

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jul 16, 2008, 03:06 PM

ccrider: maybe you should issue a ccrider apology?

... Just teasing ya

awaspaas
Mac Elite
Jul 16, 2008, 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by Full-Auto View Post
Well, I think Apple deserves cudo's for pulling it off, regardless. That's a HUGE undertaking and honestly, I've seen MUCH smaller projects go far worse.
cudo's?

JKT
Professional Poster
Jul 17, 2008, 04:34 AM

kudos

Randman
Posting Junkie
Jul 17, 2008, 04:45 AM

Do people not know about enabling spelling as they type?

Anyways, the extension is at least realization that people were hosed.

And I'm STILL waiting on my .mac/.me widget.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 17, 2008, 10:08 PM

I can't get contacts to sync. The thing acts like it's syncing, and says the last "successful" sync was at XX date & time, but nothing changes. Apple support fora are full of people who can't get this crap to work, still. What the.

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jul 17, 2008, 11:58 PM

Originally Posted by Randman View Post
Do people not know about enabling spelling as they type?
I bet the spell checker would have missed the 's though.

Why do people struggle with the apostrophe so much? Seriously, I find it to be one of the easier grammatical things to keep straight.

Webcomconsulting
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 18, 2008, 06:07 PM

I have been a member of .Mac for 2 years and I still never received any email about an extended 30 days. Everyone else I know has....

Whats the deal!

ampm99
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 19, 2008, 06:59 PM

I would like work calendar AND personal calendar to be synced to all via mobile me. Sounds complicated but that is the way many people live and work these days. 2 sources of calendar entries (work & personal) that one wants to keep in one calendar. 2 sources of emails. 2 sources of contacts. Can't tell if Mobile me will help.

I will have a business iphone 3g sync with Outlook on my work PC. These outlook calendar/contacts/emails come to my pc via Oracle Collaboration suite pluggin to Outlook. Can I use MobileMe to ALSO sync these with my home macs and my business iphone 3g? or does my business/personal use need to be very separate.

I could sync my work iphone directly with outlook. I can also use my iphone to receive work email as a imap connection. I want mobile me to push personal email to all my computers at home and my iphone. I want the work pc to be the source of contacts.
Any suggestions appreciated.

64stang06
Mac Elite
Jul 19, 2008, 10:18 PM

Originally Posted by Webcomconsulting View Post
I have been a member of .Mac for 2 years and I still never received any email about an extended 30 days. Everyone else I know has....

Whats the deal!
4 years for me and 2 for my fiance, yet she received the email and I haven't yet.
MacBook Pro 13" 2.8GHz Core i7/8GB RAM/750GB Hard Drive - Mac OS X 10.7.3

Forum Links
Forum Rules