Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > I hate Dubai. HATE.

I hate Dubai. HATE. (Page 2)
Simon
Posting Junkie
Apr 9, 2010, 08:34 AM

Well obviously he's joking. Every undergrad here knows Algebra is arabic.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Apr 9, 2010, 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by Simon View Post
a) Well, he's British, so…

b) Rob doesn't.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Apr 9, 2010, 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
Wait - you're really saying that rock music doesn't have its roots in the early African-American scene? Seriously? (I can't tell if you're joking)
Yep, that's exactly what I'm saying. Just like Amerika didn't invent the automobile.
Here's a song which was written 50 years before Amerika was invented. No melodies or rhythms changed:
YouTube - Gary moore - over the hills and far away

Are you really going to tell me that your B3 is based upon some African-Amerikan instrument rather than the remarkably similar instruments which have populated European churches for several hundred years?

Originally Posted by Someone who thinks that only tech talk should be allowed on the NN
You and the rest of the undergrads here need to go get your money back then. Try Babylonian.
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Apr 9, 2010, 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by Doofy View Post
Yep, that's exactly what I'm saying. Just like Amerika didn't invent the automobile.
Here's a song which was written 50 years before Amerika was invented. No melodies or rhythms changed:
YouTube - Gary moore - over the hills and far away
I see. So the Irish came up with power chords and pop chord progressions?

Or is this maybe just another case of some bloke taking an old folk song and re-chording it to 80s taste?

'Cuz what defines that as "rock" sure ain't the melody.

And what does define "rock" sure wasn't in the music before the Blues put it there.

Heck, not even the Stones would exist if it hadn't been for Muddy Waters, and they pre-date your ancient song by at least fifty years.

Are you really going to tell me that your B3 is based upon some African-Amerikan instrument rather than the remarkably similar instruments which have populated European churches for several hundred years?
Heh.

True, the Hammond wasn't developed for Blues, nor for Jazz. It was a Church organ (Laurens Hammond always hated Leslies because they muddied his "pure" sound).

Of course, that means that any Hammond-based jazz or blues music is fundamentally European.

Including funk, which is structurally based on ancient central-African court music. If it's Hammond-based, it's European.

Got it.
You and the rest of the undergrads here need to go get your money back then. Try Babylonian.
The WORD is Arabic, and I was careful in my phrasing: The <MiddleEasternEthnicityofChoice> didn't invent everything (though they developed a lot), but all the ancient European wisdom would have been completely lost, had they not preserved it through the dark centuries we were busy carousing and/or living in mud huts.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Apr 9, 2010, 09:59 AM

I see. So the Irish came up with power chords and pop chord progressions?
Yup.
Well, after the Spanish, of course.

Or is this maybe just another case of some bloke taking an old folk song and re-chording it to 80s taste? 'Cuz what defines that as "rock" sure ain't the melody.
Melody and rhythm. Like I said.

And what does define "rock" sure wasn't in the music before the Blues put it there.
Yes it was. The rock ethos and styling was present in folk music and, dare I say it, classical (which is why rock lends itself so well to the neoclassical style).

This whole "African American culture is the root of rock" is bullshit. And I'll only concede if you concede that an Amerikan invented the internal combustion engine. That Ford fella. You know the one.

Heck, not even the Stones would exist if it hadn't been for Muddy Waters, and they pre-date your ancient song by at least fifty years.

Of course, that means that any music which uses 12TET is fundamentally European.
Fixed.

The WORD is Arabic, and I was careful in my phrasing: The <MiddleEasternEthnicityofChoice> didn't invent everything (though they developed a lot), but all the ancient European wisdom would have been completely lost, had they not preserved it through the dark centuries we were busy carousing and/or living in mud huts.
I seriously doubt that.
And how were our mud huts not better than their tents?

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Apr 9, 2010, 10:06 AM

Well Blues (and blues-rock) explicitly DON'T use 12TET, do they.

Pentatonic with "blue" notes sitting squarely in between where our white ears would like them go back a couple thousand years before Irish (or whatever) folk.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Apr 9, 2010, 10:17 AM

Well Blues (and blues-rock) explicitly DON'T use 12TET, do they.
You're telling me that a correctly intonated guitar doesn't operate in 12TET?

Simon
Posting Junkie
Apr 9, 2010, 10:37 AM

I majored in mathematics at an excellent university. I got my money's worth I can assure you.

So let's try to clear this up.

Algebra is an arabic word.
Algebra itself has its roots in India and Babylonia, but was greatly expanded around 800AD by an Arab called Al-Chwarizmi.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Apr 9, 2010, 10:59 AM

You're telling me that a correctly intonated guitar doesn't operate in 12TET?
I'm telling you that correctly intonated blues doesn't.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Apr 9, 2010, 11:02 AM

I majored in mathematics at an excellent university. I got my money's worth I can assure you.
Thicko.

So let's try to clear this up.

Algebra is an arabic word.
Algebra itself has its roots in India and Babylonia, but was greatly expanded around 800AD by an Arab called Al-Chwarizmi.
If you like.

Phileas
Mac Elite
Apr 9, 2010, 11:04 AM

This has turned from a shit thread into something really quite interesting. I'm learning stuff, keep it up.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Apr 9, 2010, 11:05 AM

I'm telling you that correctly intonated blues doesn't.
So, you're telling me that blues can only be played on the guitar if the guitar is incorrectly intonated?

Anyway, aren't you now lending weight to my theory that rock isn't rooted in African-Amerikan culture? Rock demands correctly intonated guitars. Blues, apparently, doesn't. So, no relation.

Sarc
Mac Elite
Apr 9, 2010, 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by downinflames68 View Post
They're all the same. Arabs that have done nothing for humanity, then POOF, oil money, then they buy all of the best stuff in the world, and trash it.
You sir, are truly ignorant.
:: frankenstein / lcd-less TiBook / 1GHz / radeon 9000 64MB / 1GB RAM / w/ext. 250GB fw drive / noname usb bluetooth dongle / d-link usb 2.0 pcmcia card / X.5.8
:: unibody macbook pro / 2.4 Ghz C2D / 6GB RAM / dell 2407wfp - X.6.3

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Apr 9, 2010, 12:20 PM

So, you're telling me that blues can only be played on the guitar if the guitar is incorrectly intonated?

Anyway, aren't you now lending weight to my theory that rock isn't rooted in African-Amerikan culture? Rock demands correctly intonated guitars. Blues, apparently, doesn't. So, no relation.
Aw, come on, I know you're just messing with me.

Rock wouldn't exist without rock'n'roll and blues-rock, which directly evolved from blues, which wouldn't exist if not for the African vocal tradition it's largely based on (right down to the fact that it doesn't use all twelve tones of our system - being mostly pentatonic - and that the tonal system contains crucial notes which are specifically *not* part of our tonal system (with the third lying smack between our minor and major third)). Blues tradition existed for quite a while before anybody ever figured out a way to adapt it to the instruments that were available a good hundred years ago.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Apr 9, 2010, 12:45 PM

Aw, come on, I know you're just messing with me.
Nah man, I'm being straight.

"Rock is rooted in African-Amerikan culture".
"Algebra was invented by the Arabs".
"Henry Ford invented the internal combustion engine".
"Thomas Edison invented the telephone and light bulb".

It's all BS. Next they'll be telling us that Microsoft invented the GUI.

(right down to the fact that it doesn't use all twelve tones of our system - being mostly pentatonic and that the tonal system contains crucial notes which are specifically *not* part of our tonal system (with the third lying smack between our minor and major third)
Point me at a blues tune with said odd third please? I can't remember ever hearing any blues tune which can't be played on a 12TET guitar.

Phileas
Mac Elite
Apr 9, 2010, 12:55 PM

"Henry Ford invented the internal combustion engine".
I hate it when people state that Ford invented the production line.

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 9, 2010, 01:04 PM

Thicko.

If you like.
Are you trying to claim that al-ğabr is an Akkadian loan word, rather than an inherented word in Arabic? If so, I’d like to see your justifications for that, ’cause it makes very little sense.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Apr 9, 2010, 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by Oisín View Post
Are you trying to claim that al-ğabr is an Akkadian loan word, rather than an inherented word in Arabic? If so, I’d like to see your justifications for that, ’cause it makes very little sense.
I'm not talking about the word, I'm talking about the theory.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Apr 9, 2010, 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by Phileas View Post
I hate it when people state that Ford invented the production line.
Or the first car, or even the first successful car.

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 9, 2010, 01:18 PM

He did, however, invent car f*cking (probably NSFW).

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Apr 9, 2010, 01:45 PM

But I wasn't, so there wasn't much point in contradicting me.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Apr 9, 2010, 01:56 PM

But I wasn't, so there wasn't much point in contradicting me.
WELL IT'S NOT MY FAULT YOU'RE NOT TALKING ABOUT THE SAME THING AS I AM, IS IT?
Caps thingy.

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 9, 2010, 02:03 PM

So this one British guy goes into a pub and gets drunk… the end.

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 9, 2010, 02:11 PM

But the post you were quoting specifically said that the word is Arabic, while the theory comes from both Indian and Babylonian bodies of theory, which were expounded and expanded by (among others) al-Khwārizmī. And the post that originally mentioned algebra mentioned it in quotes, making it clear that the word, not the theory, was being referred to.

So yes, it is actually your fault that you’re talking about different things.

James L
Mac Elite
Apr 9, 2010, 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by brassplayersrock² View Post
So this one British guy goes into a pub and gets drunk… the end.
That's usually just the beginning of the story, actually.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Apr 9, 2010, 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by Oisín View Post
But the post you were quoting specifically said that the word is Arabic, while the theory comes from both Indian and Babylonian bodies of theory, which were expounded and expanded by (among others) al-Khwārizmī. And the post that originally mentioned algebra mentioned it in quotes, making it clear that the word, not the theory, was being referred to.
OK, OK. I should have cut what I was quoting down to:

That's what the "if you like" was in response to.

So shut yer mouth, hippie!

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Apr 9, 2010, 02:23 PM

Point me at a blues tune with said odd third please? I can't remember ever hearing any blues tune which can't be played on a 12TET guitar.
There's thousands of hooks and licks (in fact, most any blues/blues-rock lick at all) that involve bending the minor third or sliding between the minor/major thirds.

As for vocal recordings - pretty much the entire Alan Lomax catalogue, with the a capella ones like the "Prison Blues of the South" being particularly revealing about the lack of minor/major distinction, because the third is precisely in between.

It's not lack of performance ability, either. There's recordings from the late 19th century (IIRC, in particular one recording of a work song called "Boll Weevil", can't remember offhand by whom) where the singing adheres to very clearly delineated, clean pitches (it's really a wonderful recording), and the third is very clearly defined as not within our tempered system.

Seriously, Doofy, it's an entire musical culture, and it's definitely not based on our system of tonality - it's merely been adapted to European instrumentation, because that's what was there.

Gospel, btw., is a whole different thing. Gospel *is*, in fact, European music - there are some small pockets, such as, IIRC, the Orkney Islands, where the "old style" church singing is still practiced that went across the Atlantic 500 years ago, and the resemblance to Afro-American gospel music is uncanny. IIRC (going by memory of a uni seminar a few years ago), it wasn't an explicitly "Black" style until the white churches adopted the "new style" church singing in the late 19th century and more or less explicitly forbade the Negroes to perform it as a means of cultural segregation.

Of course, there's all sorts of exchange and flow back and forth between the two.

Incidentally, "pure intonation" hasn't really been used since the Renaissance age - most instrumentalists opt for the tempered tuning introduced about 200 years ago, which is just a compromise allowing more than the three or four intervals that could be written in for the pure tuning (and other systems with more possible intervals in between, but only in certain keys). In "pure tuning", the third is inherently dissonant.

Which, of course, brings us full circle back to POWER CHORDS.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Apr 9, 2010, 03:56 PM

There's thousands of hooks and licks (in fact, most any blues/blues-rock lick at all) that involve bending the minor third or sliding between the minor/major thirds.

As for vocal recordings - pretty much the entire Alan Lomax catalogue, with the a capella ones like the "Prison Blues of the South" being particularly revealing about the lack of minor/major distinction, because the third is precisely in between.

It's not lack of performance ability, either. There's recordings from the late 19th century (IIRC, in particular one recording of a work song called "Boll Weevil", can't remember offhand by whom) where the singing adheres to very clearly delineated, clean pitches (it's really a wonderful recording), and the third is very clearly defined as not within our tempered system.

Seriously, Doofy, it's an entire musical culture, and it's definitely not based on our system of tonality - it's merely been adapted to European instrumentation, because that's what was there.
Which is why it's not related to rock, since rock's based on old European folk.

Incidentally, "pure intonation" hasn't really been used since the Renaissance age
I know. Hence it's 12TET. By "intonation" I'm merely referring to a correctly set up (for 12TET) guitar intonation.

Which, of course, brings us full circle back to POWER CHORDS.

Can't argue with power chords!

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Apr 9, 2010, 04:16 PM

Which is why it's not related to rock, since rock's based on old European folk.
One 80s crossover song by Gary Moore does not an entire genre make.

'Specially not one that existed for ten years before anybody even *considered* crossing European folk into it.

The musicologist in me is interested, though:

Since you deny the actual history , what does *your* chronology of rock development look like?

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Apr 9, 2010, 04:42 PM

One 80s crossover song by Gary Moore does not an entire genre make.

'Specially not one that existed for ten years before anybody even *considered* crossing European folk into it.
Right, because Zep III isn't full of folk songs.

The musicologist in me is interested, though:

Since you deny the actual history , what does *your* chronology of rock development look like?
Greensleeves -> folk -> classical -> folk -> Zep -> Judas Priest -> Accept -> 1989 (end).

The Last Night Of The Proms is actually a rock gig.
And my theory is why Blind Lemon Whiner moaning about how his woman/dog done left him doesn't work with crossover elements like this does:
YouTube - Metallica - Sad But True(S&M)
It's a perfect marriage. There's a reason for that.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Apr 9, 2010, 05:10 PM

OK. Just got busy. So I'll leave you with some Finntroll.

YouTube - FINNTROLL - Trollhammeren (OFFICIAL VIDEO)

See anyone whining about their wife kicking their dog?

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Apr 9, 2010, 05:14 PM

Right, because Zep III isn't full of folk songs.
I was wondering if you were going to mention Zep.

I & II were blues-rock records.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Apr 9, 2010, 05:52 PM

Candice and her old man know where they came from...
YouTube - Blackmore's Night:Green Sleeves

And just because she's got a pretty dress on...
YouTube - Blackmore's Night - Way to Mandalay

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 9, 2010, 07:55 PM

A few minutes later, a priest comes in and sees the passed out drunk English guy and says “I’ll have what he’s havin’” The end

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 10, 2010, 12:33 AM

So after a few shots, a still very annoyed priest proclaims that he isn’t even buzzed and wants something stronger! The bartender asks "what he’d be havin’” “a Holy bartender” said the priest. “never heard of it,” says the bartender.

Shocked, the priests pulls out a semi auto and shoots up the bartender, and chuckles. “Now you have."

Forum Links
Forum Rules