Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Macbook Pro replaced through Applecare

Macbook Pro replaced through Applecare
stratmaster458
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 20, 2010, 10:19 PM

hello,

So I spoke with Apple on the phone today about replacing my macbook pro because it broke for the 3rd time (digital output of the GPU is bad).

So I discussed with a superviser about replacing my machine and they agreed.

I have a macbook pro from october 2008 with the specs

- 2.8 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
- 4 GB DDR3 Ram
- Nvidia Geforce 9600M 512MB VRAM

- 250GB 7200 RPM hardddrive.

apparently when they were looking at my serial number they said that I had 256MB of VRAM, I told them I had 512 and they asked me to send my system profiler info to them so I did and the supervisor proceeded to explain to me that I had a model with 256MB VRAM and that the when I switch into performance mode they 9600M takes the 256MB from the 9400M for a total of 512MB, this did not sound right to me. Anyway they are sending me a new model and if its wrong then they will allow me to switch it for the right one.

they are sending me the following:

- 2.53ghz Intel i5
- 4GB of DDR3 Ram
- Nvidia 330M 256MB VRAM
- 7200 RPM 500GB harddrive

The superviser assured me that the 330M will take the 256 from the Intel integrated and add it onto the 256MB for a total of 512MB VRAM, it still doesn't sound right to me. What do you guys think? I have a case number so I can call them back before I send them my Macbook Pro.

I think I should receive one with the following specs:

- 2.66GHZ Intel i7
- 4GB DDR3 Ram
- Nvidia 330M 512MB VRAM
- 500GB 7200 RPM harddrive.

what should I do?

SierraDragon
Mac Elite
Oct 21, 2010, 05:59 PM

IMO you are getting a hella i5-for-C2D, double the mass storage deal and should not complain about nits. Take it and run!

Or offer to pay extra to get i7, etc. If you are too much a whiner they could always just rebuild your C2D as-is again.
( Last edited by SierraDragon; Oct 21, 2010 at 06:07 PM. )

spiff72
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 21, 2010, 06:13 PM

I'm of the mindset that would say "beggars can't be choosers"! If they are replacing I wouldn't fight with them out of concern that they might retract their offer.

I got my 17" PB replaced about 2-1/2 years ago, and they gave me a 17" MBP that I believe was one step below top of the line at the time (I got the 2.5GHz C2D). I happily accepted the offer and chipped in an extra $100 for the glossy high res screen. I was having issues with flickering green pixels on the screen and they were taking a long time getting a replacement part.
"Mac Daddy" - 15" MBP, 2.2 GHz Core i7, 8GB, 750GB HDD
"Mommy Mac" - 13" Macbook, 2.4GHz C2D, 2GB, 160GB
"Baby Mac" - 15" PB, 1.5GHz, 1.5GB, 80GB
64GB iPod Touch (4th gen)

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Oct 21, 2010, 06:24 PM

Agreed. You're getting a good deal.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

stratmaster458  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 21, 2010, 08:15 PM

I spoke with Apple on the phone today and they apologized for the misunderstanding and confirmed that I do indeed have 512MB of graphics memory so they have bumped me up to the

- 2.66GHZ Intel i7
- 4GB DDR3 Ram
- Nvidia 330M 512MB VRAM
- 500GB 7200 RPM harddrive.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Oct 21, 2010, 08:23 PM

Wow, congratulations.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

spiff72
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 21, 2010, 09:01 PM

Wow. Nice! I am hoping my computer has some unfixable issues now!
"Mac Daddy" - 15" MBP, 2.2 GHz Core i7, 8GB, 750GB HDD
"Mommy Mac" - 13" Macbook, 2.4GHz C2D, 2GB, 160GB
"Baby Mac" - 15" PB, 1.5GHz, 1.5GB, 80GB
64GB iPod Touch (4th gen)

stratmaster458  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 21, 2010, 10:28 PM

Originally Posted by spiff72 View Post
Wow. Nice! I am hoping my computer has some unfixable issues now!
well mine had its logic board replaced twice and the harddrive was replaced and now the logicboard has to be replaced so I requested a new machine and they agreed because they said it would be more worth it to both them and me to just give me a new one and that it would be a waste of money for them to just fix my current MBP.
Thats hat happened with me, just thought I would share.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Oct 22, 2010, 04:34 PM

I'm surprised how many people get hung up on VRAM quantities. It's like they think it's proportional to performance or something.

You were going to get a great CPU upgrade, but I'm glad to hear they made you happy about the VRAM.

Hunter5117
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 24, 2010, 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by mduell View Post
I'm surprised how many people get hung up on VRAM quantities. It's like they think it's proportional to performance or something.

You were going to get a great CPU upgrade, but I'm glad to hear they made you happy about the VRAM.
Well, if VRAM isn't important, why does Apple offer the choice. Or Nvidia for that matter, why not just 256mb in all video cards?

The OP had purchased (at the time) a higher end Macbook Pro, if it needs replacing it should be with a comparable machine.

SierraDragon
Mac Elite
Oct 25, 2010, 12:12 AM

Deleted by poster.
( Last edited by SierraDragon; Oct 25, 2010 at 12:20 AM. )

SierraDragon
Mac Elite
Oct 25, 2010, 12:18 AM

Originally Posted by Hunter5117 View Post
The OP had purchased (at the time) a higher end Macbook Pro, if it needs replacing it should be with a comparable machine.
Agreed, if replacement occurs it should be at comparable level. But Apple could just fix the existing box yet again.

In any event the OP got a hella deal! - - a rarity with AppleCare.

-Allen wicks
( Last edited by SierraDragon; Oct 25, 2010 at 12:25 AM. )

SierraDragon
Mac Elite
Oct 25, 2010, 12:23 AM

@stratmaster:

Sweet!

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Oct 26, 2010, 12:44 PM

Actually when they do this, the usually go in at the same point in the product range. Entry level for entry level, top end for top end. CTOs are usually the only ones they will negotiate.
I have a late 08 15" and mine is flaky too. COD4 crashes a lot, though not as much as webkit = Safari, MSN, iTunes and others. VLC and QT aren't up to their usual robustness either.

I've already had a new logic board and had to go back a second time because they just completely forgot to swap out my faulty external keyboard. I need to reinstall my OS before I decide its a hardware issue for sure though. If it is hardware, I'm going to start seriously wondering about these nVidia 9600Ms. They might be as bad as the 8600Ms. Great cards, lousy reliability.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Oct 26, 2010, 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by SierraDragon View Post
Agreed, if replacement occurs it should be at comparable level. But Apple could just fix the existing box yet again.

In any event the OP got a hella deal! - - a rarity with AppleCare.

-Allen wicks
I got a pretty good deal once myself a couple of years ago — I had an early 2008 MBP with the infamous NVidia 8600M in it. The GPU kept glitching out even after replacing the logic board three times, so eventually they swapped it for a late-2008 unibody model.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

Forum Links
Forum Rules