Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Defying Gravity

Defying Gravity
Mac Elite
Nov 22, 2009, 05:50 AM

I really liked this show, but apparently it was cancelled?

How can a spaceship, going to most of the planets in the solar system not be awesome? Ugggggh

It was consistently interesting, and entertaining:

Edit: thanks Eug, proper URL
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Defying...ty_(TV_series)
( Last edited by 11011001; Nov 22, 2009 at 11:16 AM. )

Eug
Clinically Insane
Nov 22, 2009, 10:27 AM

It was not that well written IMO. The pacing was too slow initially, and the character development was quite cheesy and more soap opera-ish, presumably to capture more female night-time soap-like show fans in their audience. Unfortunately, it captured low numbers of both male geeks and otherwise.

I almost stopped watching after the first episode, but managed to stick it out to the end. The last several episodes were better, but even at the time I thought cancellation was inevitable. When I as a sci-fi geek have difficulty watching a sci-fi show with good CGI, it's no surprise it's a hard sell to the greater TV audience. I suspect they lost a LOT of viewers in the first couple of episodes.

EDIT:

Here is the proper link to Wikipedia page. It says on that page that ratings were bad for the pilot episode(s), and then took a nosedive after that. I'm not surprised.

design219
Professional Poster
Nov 22, 2009, 11:38 AM

I watched the pilot and was unimpressed. It did get better, but not that much.

I think the only way sci-fi can work on a broadcast network today is with very high budget, full commitment and primetime. I'm hoping V works, but I think the problem there is the story is known and not cutting edge enough. I'm watching to see how it differs from the original. I also wish they had put a little more budget into actors. The TV guy really sux.

My stupid iPhone game: Nesen Probe, it's rather old, annoying and pointless, but it's free.
Was free. Now it's gone. Never to be seen again.
Off to join its brother and sister apps that could not
keep up with the ever updating iOS. RIP Nesen Probe.

Big-C
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 22, 2009, 02:39 PM

I really liked Defying Gravity, and was disappointed when it was cancelled. I downloaded all 13 episodes (haven't finished yet), and at the end of each episode I'm angry that they cancelled it.

I watched the pilot for V and really disliked it. Maybe I didn't give it a chance though...

Professional Poster
Nov 22, 2009, 02:46 PM

I was another who liked it, though the soap-opera-y bits could easily be cut for all I care. I hope that the final episodes get posted to hulu eventually.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Nov 22, 2009, 02:46 PM

I don't believe I have ever heard of this show before. This might be related to the OP's question.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Nov 22, 2009, 02:51 PM

I wanted to like it but the first 2 episodes were so cheesy and soap opera i couldn't take it anymore.

Good riddance.

phantomdragonz
Mac Elite
Nov 23, 2009, 03:09 AM

I enjoyed it but it was by no means a great show... but I enjoyed it...

I have been watching it on a video site that is probably not legal, but it has all the episodes...

too bad there is no legal way to watch them all...

-Zach

Eug
Clinically Insane
Nov 23, 2009, 10:32 AM

I've seen all the episodes, legally. However, I'm in Canada. After CTV stopped airing the show, Space showed all the subsequent episodes.

Seriously, I think they could have put the content for all 13 episodes into 5 episodes. Furthermore, every time Paula Morales came on, I wanted to shove her out the airlock. As much as I liked her in Harold in Kumar, her character in Defying Gravity was even more redundant than Deanna ("He's hiding something Captain") Troi in Star Trek: TNG. It seemed the only reason her character existed was to explain the sci-fi stuff to the non-sci-fi fans... except there weren't any non-sci-fi fans watching the show.

Thorzdad
Nov 23, 2009, 10:41 AM

From the Wikipedia entry...
The series was pitched to networks as "Grey's Anatomy in space".
Pretty much explains why I bailed after the first episode. I had great hopes going-in, though.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Nov 23, 2009, 10:47 AM

I don't like Grey's Anatomy, but they could have handled that soapy drama better in Defying Gravity. The soap-operaness was very forced... and the lighter parts of the soap-operaness was tagged with cheesy light-hearted music. I'm almost surprised they didn't they throw in a laugh track too for the supposedly humorous parts.

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
May 24, 2011, 04:09 PM

So the wireless adapter on my Samsung Blu-ray player turned out to be entirely unreliable. Pandora and YouTube generally worked. Blockbuster and Netflix ... every now and again at best. After calling Charter internet numerous times and threatening to cancel the service I'd had for over a decade because I erroneously thought they were throttling competition to their cable service ... I eventually decided to cop an Apple TV and give it a try. Thus far, way more reliable and functional than my Samsung with 4 whole apps. In any event, as I was looking through the dearth of TV Shows available to rent I came across this Defying Gravity show. Being a sci-fi fan, I was amazed that I somehow managed to never even hear about it. So I decided to test out my new Apple TV by giving it a try.

I'm up to around episode 8. Started off a little slow ... but I like it. I suppose I don't get the Grey's Anatomy comparisons because I never watched that show. But thus far I find it to be pretty entertaining. I think the special effects production studio that worked on the Stargate series did the effects for this. And it shows. Really well done IMO. Anyway ... I'm looking forward to finishing the series.

OAW

Salty
Professional Poster
May 28, 2011, 12:53 PM

The show was beautiful from a cinematographic perspective. The acting was fine, but the pacing was bad and there wasn't that much to keep interest. I watched the whole season but kinda felt meh by the end.

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
May 28, 2011, 02:58 PM

Eug: Nov 23, 2009, 06:47 AM

OAW: May 24, 2011, 01:09 PM

Eug
Clinically Insane
May 28, 2011, 11:38 PM

Originally Posted by brassplayersrock² View Post
Eug: Nov 23, 2009, 06:47 AM

OAW: May 24, 2011, 01:09 PM
I was going to say wrong on both counts, but then I realized you're in a different time zone.

Carry on...

Forum Links
Forum Rules