Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > NHL - 2011 Stanley Cup Playoffs

NHL - 2011 Stanley Cup Playoffs (Page 6)
Madison
Mac Enthusiast
May 24, 2011, 05:10 AM

Boston up 3-2, one more to go! Go Bruins!!

freudling
Banned
May 24, 2011, 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by Madison View Post
Boston up 3-2, one more to go! Go Bruins!!
Go. away.

James L
Mac Elite
May 25, 2011, 12:52 AM

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
May 25, 2011, 12:54 AM

f*ck. oh well, time to plan for next year.

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
May 25, 2011, 01:04 AM

Blandine Bureau 1940 - 2011
Missed 2012 by 3 days, RIP Grandma :-(

freudling
Banned
May 25, 2011, 03:03 AM

I really felt bad for San Jose, they deserved to win. 56 shots to 30 some for San Jose. That winning goal was garbage. And the goal the Canucks scored... it was icing and the face off should have been in the Canucks' zone.

I will say though lots of rough stuff against the Canucks that weren't called so the scales were balanced. And the Canucks are missing key players. It's no accident they won, they're a better team. 4 games to 1. Even if San Jose would've won today, I doubt they would've ended up taking the series.

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
May 25, 2011, 04:16 AM

I think it comes down to stamina, and the Sharks looked like they ran out. The break the Canucks had helped.

Madison
Mac Enthusiast
May 25, 2011, 05:02 AM

Go. away.
Not until the Bruins do, which, could be anytime now. I love them, but, they're not as solid as I wish they were, and truth be told, if they end up facing Vancouver, they're going to be up against it BIG TIME. However, hope springs eternal At least I'm not one of these fanboys on here arguing every single post

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
May 25, 2011, 10:18 AM

Stupid goal to end a season on. Oh well, sucks to be them.

Go EASTERN CONFERENCE.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

freudling
Banned
May 25, 2011, 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by Athens View Post
I think it comes down to stamina, and the Sharks looked like they ran out. The break the Canucks had helped.
Yes it did look like San Jose was really gassed, even Sedin commented saying as the game went on they just wore them down. That Detroit series really took a lot out of San Jose and they had no time really to rest. McCelland said even Boyle was playing injuried the whole time.

olePigeon  (op)
Clinically Insane
May 25, 2011, 12:08 PM

Waaah.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

freudling
Banned
May 27, 2011, 09:03 PM

Tampa Bay really holding their own. If Boston loses boy are they going to be pissed. But Tampa looks good. Game could go either way.

End of 1st Intermission.

LiveTV / WebPlayer

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
May 27, 2011, 09:41 PM

Originally Posted by iLikebeer View Post
I'm still numb that the yotes got swept. By the Red Wings. And might have played their last game ever tonight.

Vancouver is good, but they got to pad their stats against the likes of Colorado, Edmonton, and Minnesota. All of the Pacific teams beat up on each other all season, I think any of them can give the nucks a run for their money. I'm pulling for anyone that plays a Canadian team. Keep the cup where it belongs, in America.
Heh had to add one more thing

Win or Lose hockey is our game!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PuJH2WXJGHI

ironknee
Addicted to MacNN
May 27, 2011, 09:51 PM

i don't care who wins... i want a 0-0 2nd overtime game!

freudling
Banned
May 27, 2011, 11:09 PM

Had a tear in my eye. Who else? Really wanted to see Tampa win, they worked so hard. But they just couldn't penetrate the Boston defense. Boston just seemed to have an edge on all the 1 on 1 battles, and didn't give Tampa any room to breathe. That is, they stayed with a 1-3-1 forecheck when they needed but pressed with the 2-1-2 forecheck. This latter just blanketed Tampa all game.

I think Vancouver has the speed and moves to maneouver out of Boston's strong forecheck, and then get by their solid defence.

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
May 27, 2011, 11:17 PM

My money is on Vancouver winning in 4 games.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
May 28, 2011, 10:38 AM

Really? I'm not betting against you after the Tampa-Washington call, haha, but I wouldn't bet against Tim Thomas for four straight games.
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
May 28, 2011, 12:30 PM

I got Vancouver in 6.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
May 28, 2011, 03:33 PM

I think Vancouver is the clear favorite, but anything can happen. Boston winning wouldn't be a shock or anything.

Madison
Mac Enthusiast
May 29, 2011, 11:52 AM

This is going to be a GREAT series. Boston is one of the best 5 on 5 teams in the league, and Vancouver has fantastic special teams. I'm hoping Boston uses it's size and strength against Vancouver, if they do, they've got a shot.

Bruins in 7

RobOnTheCape
Senior User
May 29, 2011, 12:27 PM

As much as I like Tim Thomas, he's been up and down. Shut outs, then they're picking him apart. I'd say it could go either way, but down to 7 like this past series against Tampa.

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
May 30, 2011, 01:29 PM

WOW home game tickets are reaching into the $4000.00 range per game. This is supply vs demand at its best.

Playoff fever sends Canucks tickets skyward - British Columbia - CBC News

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 1, 2011, 11:38 PM

What boring game *Yawn* but OMG the goal tending by both of them was WOW. One down 3 to go

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jun 1, 2011, 11:41 PM

That game was insanely boring.

James L
Mac Elite
Jun 2, 2011, 01:50 AM

Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
That game was insanely boring.
Don't worry, there only needs to be 3 more.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 2, 2011, 08:55 AM

...what? First two periods were great. Had to hit the hay for the third but heard Vancity dominated (and the only goal was scored of course).

Where do you guys get "insanely boring"? I'm completely confused. That was a great hockey game.

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 2, 2011, 11:54 AM

I dunno, maybe I was already tired from a really long day already. It reminded me of the Nashville game. 2 very defensive teams. Seems both sides didn't setup much, and of course the Refs where calling a lot of penalties which interfered with the flow of the game. So far in the series the 2 I liked a lot was Chicago and San Jose. Both hard hitting, fast and had many chances which always made you get up off your chair. Nashville and the first game with Boston is a slower more careful team. One thing is clear, Vancouver is the faster team. And Boston has a WICKED goalie.

freudling
Banned
Jun 2, 2011, 02:05 PM

Good game. Very tactical. If you don't understand hockey technically, it probably wouldn't have been the most exciting because both teams were stalemating each other. Each effecting very good 1-2-2 and 3-1-3 forechecks. Cycling back and forth on these, and bottling each other up at their own blue lines and in the neutral zone. Then they each sealed off the trapezoid around their nets making it hard for each to get clear shots on net.

The chances each team had were great though, and the goaltending flawless.

It was precision play, and I expect it to continue.

Having said all that, the Canucks look to clearly be the better team. They're on fire. They dictate the play and have more complex offensive plays thanks to the Sedins. And their speed is going to be hard for the Bruins to overcome. Torres racing past Chara made Chara look like a droopy eyed armless child.

If the Canucks can win the next game, I think they're going to run away with this because they have every opportunity to at least win 1 game in Boston. So they could come back to Vancouver up 3-1 if they win the next game here and 1 in Boston. Even if it goes 7 games, Vancouver has the home advantage in the series: that 7th game would be played here in Vancouver.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 2, 2011, 02:39 PM

I only watched the third period, but it looked pretty exciting to me.

A nothing-nothing tie between two random teams in January might not be (or might) exciting... but any game in the finals is going to be exciting. Well, maybe not a 7-1 blowout or something, but you know what I mean.

Good hockey was on display... just not goals. And if you're just watching hockey for the goals, you're doing it wrong.
( Last edited by ort888; Jun 2, 2011 at 02:52 PM. )

Madison
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 2, 2011, 07:52 PM

Yeah, Chara looked bad, sure. He and Seidenberg COMPLETELY shut down the Sedin sisters, and he looked bad, whatever. Plenty more games to play...

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 2, 2011, 08:06 PM

Chara's talent is being wasted screening. Hes much better on the point with his wicked slap shots.

Madison
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 3, 2011, 06:10 AM

Julien's refusal to change the personnel on the power play is the biggest complaint I have so far. Recchi is 43+, has played 100+ games, he can't be out there for the power play, he just hasn't got the speed and energy to get it done. Put Tyler Seguin out there and let him use his speed and playmaking ability. Get Lucic off the power play as well, he's not producing. Maybe Bergeron running the PP with Chara, along with Seguin, Horton, and Marchand up there. What do they have to lose? The PP is abysmal.

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 4, 2011, 11:59 PM

Two down, Two to go GO CANUCKS GO!

James L
Mac Elite
Jun 5, 2011, 12:42 AM

Two down, Two to go GO CANUCKS GO!
Yup.

I think we'll split in Boston... I just can't decide if we'll win in game 5 or 6.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 5, 2011, 12:53 AM

...the NHL just can't win. Of course it was Bitey McBiterson who almost single-handedly won the game for the Canucks. Why not. It's almost like this is scripted or something.

Personally I didn't think the bite was a big deal, but based on precedent, you pretty much had to suspend him. Campbell and his crew need to go. The NHL made the right call bringing in a new guy because the entire suspension system needs a complete overhaul.

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 5, 2011, 02:50 AM

I dunno, if some one slams a glove into my face and a finger makes its way into my mouth I think I would bite too. I think the NHL didn't bother because after all the dude put his hand in his mouth, its not like Tyson who put his mouth to a ear.

If they win the next game, I suspect they wont play very hard for the 4th to win at home.

CreepDogg
Mac Elite
Jun 5, 2011, 12:01 PM

If they win the next game, I suspect they wont play very hard for the 4th to win at home.
Hmmmm...I think I've seen this movie before. The last time we were postulating about this, you ended up in overtime in game 7. Want that again? It may not go your way next time...

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 5, 2011, 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by ort888 View Post
...the NHL just can't win. Of course it was Bitey McBiterson who almost single-handedly won the game for the Canucks. Why not. It's almost like this is scripted or something.

Personally I didn't think the bite was a big deal, but based on precedent, you pretty much had to suspend him. Campbell and his crew need to go. The NHL made the right call bringing in a new guy because the entire suspension system needs a complete overhaul.
Campbell is already gone - can't argue with you there. But just like in every other professional sport, what gets you a suspension in the regular season won't necessarily get you one (or as large of one) in the playoffs. It's the exact reason why Horton wasn't suspended for squirting/throwing a water bottle at fans. You're telling me he wouldn't've got a game for that two months ago? Please.

(Not to mention I don't think it should be a suspension anyway. Want to give opposing players a facewash? Bear the consequences.)

Also, have you seen Max Lapierre's taunt of Bergeron last night? Classic.

freudling
Banned
Jun 5, 2011, 03:20 PM

Canucks won fair and square. Horton "assaulted" a fan and should have been suspended last series but was not. Then he scored a key goal in the next game that they won.

Also, the blatant slash on Bieksa by a Boston player that was caught on camera behind the scenes... he's got an inflamed ancle right now. That player on Boston... should have been suspended for intent to injure.

So everyone just pipe down and realize: Vancouver is the better team. Too fast, too good. Period. End of story.

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 6, 2011, 02:36 AM

But Vancouver sucks remember? Or have you finally jumped the band wagon?

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 6, 2011, 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by freudling View Post
They've always been the Vancouver Cannots, but hey, I'm jumping on the bandwagon.

GO CANUCKS GO! GO CANUCKS GO!
Canucks = Cannots.

So sick of hearing, every year, that "this is the year!"

Canucks suck, always have. They've never been a playoff team.

Smart money's on the Hawks for game 7.
Hey Shortcut:

Nobody gives a crap about the regular season. The only thing that matters is the playoffs. There is no solution. This is the team we have. Period. They won't make it. You heard it here first.
Let me guess, just another Vancouverite who will fling his delusional support for the Canucks in anyone's face? That's you, right?

Here's why you're a green troll.

The Sedin's were a combined minus 7 after just their first loss to Chicago. Then Luongo letting in 10 goals in two games, got pulled, then non-started for Game 6.
Canucks will not make it past Nashville. You heard it here first. If they do, it'll be another miracle on ice. That said, all the best to the Canucks, I'll only be a real fan if they make it past the second round
Well, objectively, if we're going to say "This is the best team", this year, it's the Vancouver Canucks, who finished first and won the President's Trophy. Period. End of story.
Canucks, first in the league, President's Trophy, eliminated the Blackhawks. Period. End of story.
Yes, indeed they did. But they're getting old. Amazing players... but the skill and talent of young teams just wears them down. Amazing they got this far. But they're a beaten up, tired bunch. Great effort though. I think San Jose will beat the Canucks because they have more depth.

Tampa and San Jose in the final.
Canucks won fair and square. Horton "assaulted" a fan and should have been suspended last series but was not. Then he scored a key goal in the next game that they won.

Also, the blatant slash on Bieksa by a Boston player that was caught on camera behind the scenes... he's got an inflamed ancle right now. That player on Boston... should have been suspended for intent to injure.

So everyone just pipe down and realize: Vancouver is the better team. Too fast, too good. Period. End of story.

Actually Athens, until you brought it up I was keeping this my back pocket - to include the inevitable wild celebratory posts if/when the Canucks win it - but here's a moderate sample of freudling's schizophrenic anti/pro-Canucks posts in this thread. And it doesn't even include the completely weird/ignorant "Datsyuk is a sycophant" comments, the Vancouver/Boston comparison flip-flopping, or the Tampa/Boston flipflopping.

If there ever was a definition of "bandwagon fan", freudling would be it.

Pretty awesome stuff.
( Last edited by ShortcutToMoncton; Jun 6, 2011 at 01:06 PM. )

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 6, 2011, 01:01 PM

The hampstor is angry

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 6, 2011, 03:10 PM

Heh, I was going to make the same post but you beat me to it. Im a Canuck fan, win or lose they are my team. I don't switch just because the team does poor or is in a building phase. People who switch teams to who ever is the best that year I don't count as fans of any team.

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 6, 2011, 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by ShortcutToMoncton View Post
Really? I'm not betting against you after the Tampa-Washington call, haha, but I wouldn't bet against Tim Thomas for four straight games.
2 Down 2 to go

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 6, 2011, 08:21 PM

Its about time the Bruins showed up to this series. Now its fun to watch!!!!

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 6, 2011, 08:26 PM

im speechless..... I'm so furious at Rome

Madison
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 7, 2011, 05:34 PM

If Boston takes tomorrow night's game at home, and heads to Vancouver with the momentum on their side, the Canucks are in a LOT of trouble. The Sedin sisters have completely disappeared in this series. Those two are skilled beyond belief, but they are playing like they're on their way to a ballet recital. After the hits by Seidenberg and Thomas on the twins, I'll bet their heads are on a swivel now, GO BRUINS!

Madison
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 9, 2011, 05:10 AM

Looking good! Luongo soiled himself two nights in a row, the Sedins have yet to be found despite having 18,000 Canuck fans searching frantically for them, and the Bruins are carrying major momentum to Vancouver. Keep it up Boston!

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 9, 2011, 11:28 AM

Has freudling flipped back to hating the Canucks yet, like he has from the beginning except when he wasn't.

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 9, 2011, 01:43 PM

Heh Prob. Im expecting better outcomes on home ice. Bostons ice is pretty bad and the only thing the Canucks have going for them in this series is speed. Im now expecting Canucks in 7 games.
( Last edited by Athens; Jun 9, 2011 at 05:48 PM. Reason: typo)

Forum Links
Forum Rules