Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Steve Jobs has quit.

Steve Jobs has quit. (Page 4)
turtle777
Clinically Insane
Aug 26, 2011, 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by Andrej View Post
I can't stand having Tim Cook as his replacement. Remember all the "Apple is gay" satires from 10 years ago from all the PC trolls and during the flower power iMacs?
Well now it's officially true. Apple/Macs are now gay.
That would only be a concern if Salty ran Apple

-t

andi*pandi
Aug 26, 2011, 01:04 PM

shut your mouth.

freudling
Banned
Aug 26, 2011, 01:13 PM

Why Apple is nothing without Jobs.

The products we love are because of him. Period.

"We were just a few months away from MacWorld, and I just didn't love it." Steve Jobs on the first iPhone.

They had to come up with a better design that Steve loved.

The digital hub metaphor is all Steve. The brokenness of that and iCloud is all Steve.

The MacBook Air design... Steve. He routed through about 100 different designs and pushed and directed everyone toward what we see today.

The iPod. Steve. His vision.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/...77P2NP20110826

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Aug 26, 2011, 01:16 PM

How can we know that there aren't technological and hardware aspects of the products we love that we might have liked better except Steve vetoed them?

Eug  (op)
Clinically Insane
Aug 26, 2011, 01:23 PM

This is minor, but I still wonder about Firewire in the MacBook Pro 13".

I held off on the first unibody MacBook 13" because the entry level model didn't have a backlit keyboard, and because it didn't have Firewire. Low and behold the next revision had both. That's my main laptop now, with an upgrade to 4 GB RAM and a solid state drive.

I'm sure that the backlit keyboard thing was just market timing on purpose, but I'm not so sure about Firewire. I was thinking that Steve vetoed it, but then realized it was a bit too early to kill it in a higher priced line and brought the higher priced unibody 13" back with Firewire as a pro machine.

However, like I said, as far as missteps go, this is pretty minor. It was just a matter of slightly rejigging the market segmentation of their own laptop lines.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Aug 26, 2011, 01:29 PM

One thing is for sure, whatever decision Apple makes in the future, people who don't like it will blame it on Steve leaving.

That's pretty ironic, because so far, it was mostly blamed on Steve being so hardheaded.

I paint a bright picture for Apple revisionist thinking.

-t

James L
Mac Elite
Aug 26, 2011, 01:39 PM

I can't stand having Tim Cook as his replacement. Remember all the "Apple is gay" satires from 10 years ago from all the PC trolls and during the flower power iMacs?

I don't mind gays but I don't want them as Apple CEO because the trolls will just laugh at us.
Your sense of self, confidence level, and level of contentment in life are so tied to the computer and phone you use that you would be upset if people laughed at you about using them?

I've been a Mac user since 1986 and have good friends working for the company but at the end of the day it's just a computer, a music device, a phone, etc.

I think people need to unplug more often.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Aug 26, 2011, 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by James L View Post
I've been a Mac user since 1986 and have good friends working for the company but at the end of the day it's just a computer, a music device, a phone, etc.
Obviously you vociferously enjoy sexual relations with those of a mutual gender.

freudling
Banned
Aug 26, 2011, 01:43 PM

The New York Times, in 1985 on Steve's departure:

But in an interview today, William V. Campbell, an executive vice president, said the company did not need Mr. Jobs. ”We’ve been without Steve Jobs for the better part of four months,” he said, referring to the period since Mr. Jobs lost his operating responsibilities. ”Since that time we’ve been doing just fine.”
”We have the foundations in place for a really great Apple,” he said on Friday, in one of the first interviews he has granted since emerging victorious from his struggle with Mr. Jobs. ”We talk about vision and what Steve contributed to vision, and it’s an immense contribution, no doubt about it,” said Mr. Sculley.
”The real question is innovation, and most of the innovation, including the innovations in Macintosh, came from a lot of people.” John Sculley
New York Times:

No one expects any dramatic changes. Long before Mr. Jobs’s resignation last week, he had been pushed aside as an active executive, leaving Mr. Sculley to run the company as he saw fit. In addition, product direction for the next six months to a year is already fairly well set.
I agree with Fortune:

”They’ve cut the heart out of Apple and substituted an artificial one. We’ll just have to see how long it pumps.”

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 26, 2011, 02:10 PM

So, you're equating Jobs' 1985 departure, when he was basically forced out in disgrace as the massively expanding company and his bitter hired rivals decided to go in a different direction from his vision...with his 2011 resignation as CEO due to to health reasons, whilst staying on as Board chairman, after he's spent the past decade as Head Guru re-building the company into the world's biggest by surrounding himself with the Best People who seem to share a Common Vision.

You may see why I'm failing to compute.
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Aug 26, 2011, 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by ShortcutToMoncton View Post
You're not considering that within a short 12 years they had to go running back to him.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 26, 2011, 02:21 PM

???
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Aug 26, 2011, 02:22 PM

Sarcasm.

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 26, 2011, 03:01 PM

I wouldn't be against Apple trying to lure a ROBO-Jobs back a decade from now.

Anybody wanna Photoshop it?
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

freudling
Banned
Aug 26, 2011, 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by ShortcutToMoncton View Post
So, you're equating Jobs' 1985 departure, when he was basically forced out in disgrace as the massively expanding company and his bitter hired rivals decided to go in a different direction from his vision...with his 2011 resignation as CEO due to to health reasons, whilst staying on as Board chairman, after he's spent the past decade as Head Guru re-building the company into the world's biggest by surrounding himself with the Best People who seem to share a Common Vision.

Yes, I am equating Jobs's departure of 1985 to this. It's all bullshit. The bottom-line is the company without him. Who cares why he's not CEO anymore. Be it being kicked out or because he's too ill.

He went on the next year to start NeXT, and made the first version of OS X there. Meanwhile, Apple got sunk into the toilet. No new innovation for years.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Aug 26, 2011, 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by freudling View Post
Yes, I am equating Jobs's departure of 1985 to this. It's all bullshit. The bottom-line is the company without him. Who cares why he's not CEO anymore. Be it being kicked out or because he's too ill.

He went on the next year to start NeXT, and made the first version of OS X there. Meanwhile, Apple got sunk into the toilet. No new innovation for years.

Do you really think that Steve Jobs was single-handedly responsible for all of this innovation? Do you think that a Jobsless Apple will end up all Lord of the Flies style with dead pig heads on sticks and stuff?

Lots of companies have survived and/or done well after the passing/retiring of their successful leadership, especially when it was inherited in a good state... Why should we think Apple would be any different? Investors seem to agree with me since Apple stock hasn't completely tanked.

Apple is not Microsoft or HP, these are totally different cases. There is no reason to believe that Apple will slowly morph to become one of these companies.

Doc HM
Professional Poster
Aug 26, 2011, 04:22 PM

I'm inclined to go with Freudling. At least into the mid term. Short term a bunch of zombies could execute Jobs's plan for the next 2 years. Outside that, who knows but Apple WILL miss Jobs's almost psycopathic personality. So much of Apple is his total lack of ability to compromise. Any other CEO (Cook included) answers to the board and can and will be overruled. Only Steve has the ability to walk away unless he gets his way 100% and not get sent back in to get the best deal on offer.

I fully expect the next but a few gens of Apple products to be really really good but full of tell tale compromises where the bean counters or the engineers or the someone claimed things had to be this way. Claims that would have been rejected but Steve out of hand. I have no idea how this will manifest, but it will.

Also I expect that within 6 months Ives will be gone.
This space for Hire! Reasonable rates. Reach an audience of literally dozens!

Person Man
Professional Poster
Aug 26, 2011, 04:46 PM

Obviously we're not going to convince those people whose minds are made up that Apple without Jobs is going to fail. That being said, it is an opinion, and not a fact. Nobody knows what is going to happen. All indications are that the bad things people are predicting are not going to happen. Yes, they might, but they might not as well.

I think we need to respect each other's opinions and not try to keep refuting each other. We're not going to convince you (you people know who you are) otherwise, so don't try to convince us otherwise, either.

Time will tell which of us are right.

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 26, 2011, 04:51 PM

I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

Doc HM
Professional Poster
Aug 26, 2011, 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by Person Man View Post
Obviously we're not going to convince those people whose minds are made up that Apple without Jobs is going to fail. Time will tell which of us are right.
I can't see Apple failing any time soon. i just don't think it will continue to create the same level of innovating, game changing products. I see it become just another tech company.

Time will however, indeed tell.
This space for Hire! Reasonable rates. Reach an audience of literally dozens!

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Aug 26, 2011, 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
Very, very sad. Nobody should have to go through this.

-t

James L
Mac Elite
Aug 26, 2011, 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
Obviously you vociferously enjoy sexual relations with those of a mutual gender.
I'll get my wife to translate that when she gets home.

freudling
Banned
Aug 26, 2011, 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by Doc HM View Post
I'm inclined to go with Freudling. At least into the mid term. Short term a bunch of zombies could execute Jobs's plan for the next 2 years. Outside that, who knows but Apple WILL miss Jobs's almost psycopathic personality. So much of Apple is his total lack of ability to compromise. Any other CEO (Cook included) answers to the board and can and will be overruled. Only Steve has the ability to walk away unless he gets his way 100% and not get sent back in to get the best deal on offer.

I fully expect the next but a few gens of Apple products to be really really good but full of tell tale compromises where the bean counters or the engineers or the someone claimed things had to be this way. Claims that would have been rejected but Steve out of hand. I have no idea how this will manifest, but it will.

ibook_steve
Aug 26, 2011, 05:47 PM

Umm, why is he wearing a skirt in that picture, even if it is in fact Steve?

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

freudling
Banned
Aug 26, 2011, 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by Person Man View Post
All indications are that the bad things people are predicting are not going to happen.
What are you talking about? All indications point to the fact that Apple will flounder. Period.

They almost went bankrupt without him, and he had to save them.

There are many examples of top companies failing after a CEO change, as I listed above. Walt Disney has never been the same without Walt, for instance.

These kinds of companies, companies like Apple, Walt Disney... are incredibly unique. Their success is based on groundbreaking, innovative products and experiences. They're not making paper clips. It's hard what they do. And risky.

Jobs is a maniac. It's only because of him that these products get spit out. Nobody else. He's the one saying he doesn't like it, go back to the drawing board. He's the one who says "I want this", and then bets that you do to, pushing his people to tears to execute on it.

Apple will get dismantled on its own. Ives will leave, Phil will retire, etc. It won't be the same place anymore.

No, nobody can predict the future... only time will tell, and we'll see where we are at then.

tightsocks
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 26, 2011, 05:56 PM

SAN FRANCISCO—Following the resignation of Apple founder Steve Jobs, incoming CEO Tim Cook called a meeting of shareholders and members of the press Thursday morning to announce that he envisioned printers as the company’s future. “Laser, ink-jet, double-sided, color, black-and-white—the future of technology is in printers. I am absolutely convinced of that,” Cook explained to a packed auditorium as a montage of printers and people using printers played on a screen behind him. “What is the one thing people will always need? It’s obvious: printers. Printers with fax machines attached, printers that collate and staple, perhaps a printer that makes photocopies. Anything’s possible. It’s called innovation.” Cook concluded his remarks by assuring investors the release of upcoming Apple products such as the iPhone 5 would be postponed for at least four years so the company could throw all its time and resources into the creation of high-quality printers for the home and office.

msuper69
Professional Poster
Aug 26, 2011, 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by tightsocks View Post
SAN FRANCISCO—Following the resignation of Apple founder Steve Jobs, incoming CEO Tim Cook called a meeting of shareholders and members of the press Thursday morning to announce that he envisioned printers as the company’s future. “Laser, ink-jet, double-sided, color, black-and-white—the future of technology is in printers. I am absolutely convinced of that,” Cook explained to a packed auditorium as a montage of printers and people using printers played on a screen behind him. “What is the one thing people will always need? It’s obvious: printers. Printers with fax machines attached, printers that collate and staple, perhaps a printer that makes photocopies. Anything’s possible. It’s called innovation.” Cook concluded his remarks by assuring investors the release of upcoming Apple products such as the iPhone 5 would be postponed for at least four years so the company could throw all its time and resources into the creation of high-quality printers for the home and office.
Not funny at all.

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 26, 2011, 05:58 PM

I miss Apple's peripheral-pushing days. Though as I recall, they simply rebranded printers from HP.

Still, they were nice.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 26, 2011, 05:58 PM

Still, you're acting like this is some sort of sudden shock. We've known for a long while now that he wasn't going to be hanging around the company for that long.

Did the reality hit you suddenly or something?

At any rate, for every two things I love about Apple, there is a third thing I hate. I'm thinking that someone with a more compromising attitude about things could actually be good for the company and good for consumers.

In the long run, who knows. I don't see any reason to panic about it. I became a Mac fan in the Jobsless era and it wasn't so bad.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

freudling
Banned
Aug 26, 2011, 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by ort888 View Post
Still, you're acting like this is some sort of sudden shock. We've known for a long while now that he wasn't going to be hanging around the company for that long.

Did the reality hit you suddenly or something?

At any rate, for every two things I love about Apple, there is a third thing I hate. I'm thinking that someone with a more compromising attitude about things could actually be good for the company and good for consumers.

In the long run, who knows. I don't see any reason to panic about it. I became a Mac fan in the Jobsless era and it wasn't so bad.
I know. But Jobs has this grand vision and when he dies it will die.

The only thing that will save Apple is someone better than Steve, not his left overs. Someone different. Someone that will come in and say,"The iPhone? Forget that. Here's what we're going to do..."

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 26, 2011, 06:08 PM

I'm somewhere in the middle on this.

I'm of the opinion that Apple's core advantage is that, almost by its nature... it lures talented, creatively minded people - always has and always will. Even during the 90s, Apple was cranking out some great, innovative stuff. I still see the 90s as Apple's golden era creatively (argue with me all you want).

But with Steve... I see an uncanny ability to weed through the shit that gets proposed and then make sure that the good stuff actually hits the market properly. It's the lack of a Steve that nearly killed Apple in the 90s, in spite of the fact that the company was still as good as ever at its core.

So yeah, Apple will continue to innovate from within regardless of who is at the helm. The most talented, visionary engineers and designers will still flock to Apple. The question is... is Tim Cook a second Jobs or another Apotheker?
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Aug 26, 2011, 06:10 PM

The question is... is Tim Cook a second Jobs or another Apotheker.
Ouch. That hurt.

Not me though

-t

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Aug 26, 2011, 06:15 PM

I don't mind gays but I don't want them as Apple CEO because the trolls will just laugh at us.

Well, maybe at least Rush Limbaugh will now switch to Windows.

That's FAR more embarrassing to me than some insecure dumb**** moron thinking he can call my personality into question by somehow inferring sexual orientation from the production and communications tools I use.

Anybody who cares is just an embarrassment to the human race.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Aug 26, 2011, 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by freudling View Post
What are you talking about? All indications point to the fact that Apple will flounder. Period.

They almost went bankrupt without him, and he had to save them.
Apple has a very different corporate culture now than it did then.

Jobs has trimmed the entire company to work and think like he does.

I'm sure that killing 998 out of a thousand good ideas is embedded deeply enough into the corporate DNA by now to last a long time.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Aug 26, 2011, 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by Doc HM View Post
Maybe.

Maybe he'll be Number 2 by then.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Aug 26, 2011, 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post

Well, maybe at least Rush Limbaugh will now switch to Windows.

That's FAR more embarrassing to me than some insecure dumb**** moron thinking he can call my personality into question by somehow inferring sexual orientation from the production and communications tools I use.

Anybody who cares is just an embarrassment to the human race.

What he said. I don't give a rat's ass what people think, and I don't have time for people who want to speak about gays in a derogatory fashion. It would be best if they clustered together somewhere away from wherever I am.

Gankdawg
Professional Poster
Aug 26, 2011, 07:00 PM

I miss Apple's peripheral-pushing days. Though as I recall, they simply rebranded printers from HP.

Still, they were nice.
The Stylewriters were a rebrand of Canon printers.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Aug 26, 2011, 07:25 PM

Those look so insanely Photoshopped. Either that or the TMZ photog is shooting with a 2002 Canon PowerShot Digital Elph.

Eug  (op)
Clinically Insane
Aug 26, 2011, 07:51 PM

? Paparazzi photographers aren't known for the artistic merit of their images.

msuper69
Professional Poster
Aug 26, 2011, 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
Those look so insanely Photoshopped. Either that or the TMZ photog is shooting with a 2002 Canon PowerShot Digital Elph.
Oh yeah, now there's a reliable source of news. TMZ.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Aug 26, 2011, 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by Eug View Post
? Paparazzi photographers aren't known for the artistic merit of their images.
They also are known for using high-powered zoom lenses that won't pixelate a picture and show tearing around Photoshopped edges.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Aug 26, 2011, 08:20 PM

I don't think photochopping is beneath TMZ, so I really don't know what you're arguing about

-t

Ham Sandwich
Aug 26, 2011, 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by James L View Post
Your sense of self, confidence level, and level of contentment in life are so tied to the computer and phone you use that you would be upset if people laughed at you about using them?
Probably not. My life is not tied to a phone (I don't use phones, unless I really absolutely need to), and both computer companies are loaded with OS problems, so someone dishing an insult on the "computer that I use" won't probably upset me much considering that I can just do the same to whatever personal crap that they use.

Eug  (op)
Clinically Insane
Aug 26, 2011, 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
They also are known for using high-powered zoom lenses that won't pixelate a picture and show tearing around Photoshopped edges.
It's quite possible for pix to be faked for gossip rags. Nonetheless, you sound very much like this guy.

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 26, 2011, 11:16 PM

Well, sounds like the name Tim Cook will become as synonymous with Apple as any other CEO in its history; he's on 'til 2021.

Apple Awards Tim Cook 1,000,000 Shares of Stock as CEO Bonus to Stay Until 2021 - Mac Rumors
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Aug 26, 2011, 11:26 PM

That's a lot of dough - and incentive to keep Apple successful.

-t

freudling
Banned
Aug 26, 2011, 11:53 PM

Tim Cook will never last that long. 3 years max before people start calling for a new CEO.

"With the departure of Jony Ive, Phil Schiller, and a host of others, along ith stagnating products and delays, many are calling for Tim Cook to step down, to make room for a fresh CEO to breathe the magic back in Apple."

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Aug 27, 2011, 12:02 AM

Is your glass always 110% empty ?

-t

ironknee
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 27, 2011, 12:08 AM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
Is your glass always 110% empty ?

-t
he must be a fascist

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Aug 27, 2011, 03:11 AM

Probably not. My life is not tied to a phone (I don't use phones, unless I really absolutely need to), and both computer companies are loaded with OS problems, so someone dishing an insult on the "computer that I use" won't probably upset me much considering that I can just do the same to whatever personal crap that they use.
So what's your issue with Tim Cook?

Forum Links
Forum Rules