Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > HELP!! Entourage and IE

HELP!! Entourage and IE
mkchan
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 26, 2001, 04:18 AM

Hi! I have a problem with the IE and Entourage. After I have launched Entourage, everytime I launch IE, it will freeze my computer. Then I will have to restart my computer, launch the "Microsoft Internet First Run", and then launch IE first before launching Entourage.

My G4 is running Mac OS 9.1 (Clean Install), with 576MB RAM. Did anyone encounter the same problem? Any workarounds?

simonjames
Mac Elite
Mar 26, 2001, 05:47 AM

A lot of people experience exactly the same problem - it has an easy and slightly awkward fix.

1. Always start entourage after IE and after connecting to the net

2. If you click on a link that you kow will start Entourage it is best if you go manually start it yourself before clicking the link

3. Minimise the use of Entourage whilst using IE - I generally wait until I've finished with the net then check my emails

Anyone else know of a fix or a better work around? Please post.
this sig intentionally left blank

simonjames
Mac Elite
Mar 26, 2001, 05:51 AM

Something I forgot

Increase the memory allocation to both - for example I have the minimum allocation of 28Mb with a preferred of 48Mb for IE

simonjames
Mac Elite
Mar 26, 2001, 05:53 AM

A lot of people experience exactly the same problem - it has an easy and slightly awkward fix.

1. Always start entourage after IE and after connecting to the net

2. If you click on a link that you kow will start Entourage it is best if you go manually start it yourself before clicking the link

3. Minimise the use of Entourage whilst using IE - I generally wait until I've finished with the net then check my emails

Anyone else know of a fix or a better work around? Please post.

ddiokno
Mac Elite
Mar 26, 2001, 06:09 AM

Something else that has been of some success to people is to install the Internet Explorer from the Office 2001 CD... There was a slight difference between it and the version that came with the OS... Another thing you might want to try is trashing (or at least moving them) the Explorer (it is a folder) prefs from your preferences folder. The preferences could have somehow gotten corrupted and are not touched when you do the first run.
good luck and let us know if this gets resolved...
dave

JoshFofer
Mar 30, 2001, 01:11 PM

This is a know issue, covered on MacFixit:

Many fixes suggested, removing certain plug-ins helped for me.
Try this (I found it on another list and it seemed to work for me...Rock Solid after several days

Try:
------------------------------------------------------------------------
* Quit Entourage
* Throw out all of the items you have in System Folder:Extensions:ActiveX
Controls
* Throw out System folderreferencesPC Registration Database
* Empty the trash
* Restart Entourage�� � ��
The fix is to take out the Windows Media Plug-In form the Internet Explorer Plug-Ins folder located in the main Internet Explorer Folder.

reinstall of Office 2001 CD

run the First Run from the CD

run IE first

Todd Young found: "When I replaced IE 5 with the version provided on the Office 2001 CD-ROM, it worked like a champ." Others have also reported success with this.
* Quit Entourage, trash all the items in System Folder:Extensions:ActiveX Controls, trash the PPC Registration Database in the System Preferences folder, empty the trash, and restart Entourage.
* Christopher Erickson claims that deleting the Windows Media Plugin and DRM Plugin files, installed by Windows Media Player, will eliminate these crashes.
* A posting on MacInTouch cites a work-around suggested by Microsoft: Remove the following files from the Explorer Plugins folder: QuickTime Plugin, QuickTimePlugin.class, and Windows Media Plugin. Microsoft is supposedly working on an update that will fix this.
A better work-around? A work-around for the Explorer/Entourage crash problem has been to remove the Windows Media Plugin (and possibly certain other) files from the Explorer Plugins folder. However, this obviously prevents the use of the features these plug-ins provide. David Rosenfeld may have found a way to resolve this dilemma. He moved the files to a new folder he created called �Plug-ins (disabled)," residing in the Explorer folder. This appeared to allow the plug-ins to continue to function in Explorer but not to trigger the Entourage-related crash.

Dylan Drazen found that while, removing the Windows Media Plugin file from the Plug-ins folder indeed eliminates the crashes, putting into a new "disabled" folder did not retain the functionality of the Plug-in (contrary to what David reported above).

matttichenor
Mar 30, 2001, 03:27 PM

I also found that by trashing my Internet Preferences file, and then not re-entering them in via the control panel has helped a lot. I think it might have to do with the connection between the two programs and how they access the 'Default' program setting which is kept in the Internet Pref. file.

hope this helps,
m

[This message has been edited by matttichenor (edited 04-06-2001).]

Forum Links
Forum Rules