Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Hebrew

Hebrew
Mac Elite
Aug 28, 2002, 11:34 AM

So. Is there a way to get hebrew font in OS X 10.1?

Oo, and got OS X 10.2, on Apple's website it says that Jag has support for Hebrew... does one have to install a special package or something? Or is it installed by default?

fulmer
Professional Poster
Aug 28, 2002, 12:14 PM

הני מהתב

seems to work for me, and I didn't select 'customize' during installation, and thus it seems to have installed all languages. I'm really glad Hebrew is back!

Fotek2001
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 28, 2002, 12:21 PM

I don't know about 10.1 (because it doesn't support right to left text) but browsing a website written in Hebrew (http://www.microsoft.com/israel/) works just fine in OS X 10.2 with no additional installation work required. The only catch is that it doesn't work in IE which, unfortunately, has no support for right to left languages like Hebrew and Arabic. I can view and use websites written in Arabic as well but again this only works in OmniWeb or Chimera.

In 10.2 there is an amazing new charater palette built into the keyboward menu and this allows you to access font glyphs from the *complete* extended and supplementary Latin script system as well as dozens of other srcipt systems including Korean, Hebrew, Arabic, Greek, Cyrillic, Thai etc.

NeXTLoop
Senior User
Aug 28, 2002, 12:22 PM

I don't see any option for Hebrew in my International prefs. How did you get that?

Diggory Laycock
Professional Poster
Aug 28, 2002, 12:27 PM

Originally posted by 11011001:
So. Is there a way to get hebrew font in OS X 10.1?

Oo, and got OS X 10.2, on Apple's website it says that Jag has support for Hebrew... does one have to install a special package or something? Or is it installed by default?
Look in the Character Palette. (open the font panel in text edit and select character palette from the extras� pop-up menu)

<edit>

Hey look at this site: It's got a very strange URL for what it actually is http://www.yeda.co.il/

Wow these different scripts look great in Omniweb
( Last edited by Diggory Laycock; Aug 28, 2002 at 12:34 PM. )

Fotek2001
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 28, 2002, 12:29 PM

10.2 supports hebrew and other right to left text systems so if an application developer includes localisations in hebrew (or arabic, korean etc.) then you'll be able to use them for the interface.

To enable new languages all you have to do is edit the list in the International pane of the System Prefs by clicking on the "Edit" button. Select the new languages you'd like to use from the sheet that appears and save the changes. Back in the main pane, drag languages in the list into your order of preference and save. If you have applications that are localised in the language you've chosen to be at the top of the list then that app will display in that language, if not the app will use the next available language for which it's localised in your list in the order of preference you've specified.

NeXTLoop
Senior User
Aug 28, 2002, 12:32 PM

Cool! Thanks.

fulmer
Professional Poster
Aug 28, 2002, 12:33 PM

you don't need the character palette, useful as it is.

If you did a full install of Jag, click the International pane of System Prefs. Now click the Input Menu tab and check-mark the languages you want.

This gives you the standard keyboard for those countries. Open Key Caps (in the Apps>Utils folder) and select your language (from the flags now in the menu bar). this program will display the character mappings for your selected language. If you don't know they keyboard layouts, this is a good guide.

note: I've noticed that if you type in chimera in Hebrew, the characters don't input correctly--letters are where they're supposed to be. I had to type in Key Caps, then cut-paste over to chimera to get the proper display.

11011001  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 28, 2002, 04:20 PM

Chimera and Omniweb are perfect! Thanks guys!

And I got the Hebrew working in those, and in the system... this is good.

Now, why the heck isn't microsoft using OS X's language system... err... You'd think they would... but meh.

El Pre$idente
Banned
Aug 28, 2002, 04:38 PM

shalom elochim, but i never learned to read Hebrew!

Forum Links
Forum Rules