Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Buying a DVD burner for B&W G3

Buying a DVD burner for B&W G3
veryniceguy2002
Senior User
Jul 15, 2004, 12:45 AM

Let's try and ask this question again in a different format...

If I want to upgrade my B&W G3 CD-ROM drive to a DVD burner, can I just buy any internal IDE DVD burner available from PC store and install it? Is there a particular drive I have to buy (or avoid) to in order to work on a Mac?

In particular, I would like to know can I start use the burner for CD-ROM or DVD-ROM to startup, by press the C key?

Langdon
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 15, 2004, 10:50 AM

chack the database from xlr8yourmac.com they have a listing of which models work best.
But with a B&W G3 it won't be fast enough for iDVD even with the hack. And you will need something like Toast to burn with.

kafoochy
Forum Regular
Jul 15, 2004, 01:29 PM

Originally posted by Langdon:
chack the database from xlr8yourmac.com they have a listing of which models work best.
But with a B&W G3 it won't be fast enough for iDVD even with the hack. And you will need something like Toast to burn with.
On that note, I'd also say go to xlr8yourmac.com. If you got a supported burner, you wouldn't need Toast (although I'd suggest getting it). I know people that have upgraded their systems with Pioneer drives (most recently a DVR-107) and because Apple uses this drive as well, burning in the finder is supported. Langdon is correct though that your computer may not be able to run some of the software required for creating content for a DVD. If all you want to do is burn, I think you'll be fine. If you just go out to a PC store and are looking at DVD-R drives, look at the Roxio support database. Roxio Toast supports almost all drives today, but you'll still want to check.

Forum Links
Forum Rules