Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Australian iCreate magazine!

Australian iCreate magazine!
veryniceguy2002
Senior User
Jul 30, 2004, 08:51 AM

I just checked the newsagent tonight, and guess what I saw?!

Australian iCreate magazine! Bit pricey: A$12.50. (Although the original UK edition is also picey)

Just started reading it. One thing I have noticed so far: there is one two ads this first issue, and both are ads for the books from the same publisher! Does it mean we are finally having a Mac magazine without ads, or they just haven't sign-up anyone for some real ads?!?!

Anyone comments from any Aussie who bought one?

joelcpa
Forum Regular
Aug 1, 2004, 08:00 AM

Now if we could get a US version as well...

Although pricey, this is one great magazine, full of tutorials (mostly iLife programs) and other articles to enjoy the Mac life.

thePurpleGiant
Mac Elite
Aug 1, 2004, 08:36 AM

Originally posted by veryniceguy2002:
One thing I have noticed so far: there is one two ads this first issue, and both are ads for the books from the same publisher! Does it mean we are finally having a Mac magazine without ads, or they just haven't sign-up anyone for some real ads?!?!
Second Option. I'm sure they would love to have advertisers, but first they will release a product, wait until it sells well, then get advertisers based on the number of copies they sell.

veryniceguy2002  (op)
Senior User
Aug 1, 2004, 10:32 AM

Originally posted by thePurpleGiant:
Second Option. I'm sure they would love to have advertisers, but first they will release a product, wait until it sells well, then get advertisers based on the number of copies they sell.
Well, I would have thought they would push hard for the subscription if that's the case.

A$12.50... I guess the printing cost of the magazine would cost more than that (given the Australian edition uses the same glossy cover printing technique).

veryniceguy2002  (op)
Senior User
Aug 4, 2004, 07:41 AM

Well, I had a few days to scan through a few more pages of the Australian iCreate magazine issue one. One of the thing I have noticed which is disappointing is the lack the effort to "localise" the contents.

While all currency figures have been translated on Australian dollars (with a few US dollars which it cannot be obtained locally in Australia), and put in Australian distributor details where possible, a more detail look would see there are more than a few articles where it is directly refering information specificly to UK users.

Some of the examples are:

1. P22 sidebar, refering to UK cable internet company NTL determines which computer allowed to connect the internet using the MAC address, and PPPoE won't needed for most UK cable users.

2. P57, refering the stocks channel doesn't search shares on FT-SE100 (UK sharemarket benchmark index).

3. (I don't think I can forgive this) P72-75, a great 4-page tutorial on how to create a stunning photo book, using iPhoto and Apple photo book ordering services. Great details, good use of screen dumps, good step-by-step instructions... However, the Apple photo book services simply not available in Australia! Even the first sentence tell the story:

Apple has finally made photo book ordering available to UK Mac users
Well, not sure what's the point of the tutorial if none of the reader can use the service (unless the reader want to send the photo book to friends or relatives in UK??)

Well, I would hope that their editoral would do a better job in the next issue.

willed
Professional Poster
Aug 4, 2004, 09:26 AM

Originally posted by veryniceguy2002:
Well, I had a few days to scan through a few more pages of the Australian iCreate magazine issue one. One of the thing I have noticed which is disappointing is the lack the effort to "localise" the contents.

While all currency figures have been translated on Australian dollars (with a few US dollars which it cannot be obtained locally in Australia), and put in Australian distributor details where possible, a more detail look would see there are more than a few articles where it is directly refering information specificly to UK users.

Some of the examples are:

1. P22 sidebar, refering to UK cable internet company NTL determines which computer allowed to connect the internet using the MAC address, and PPPoE won't needed for most UK cable users.

2. P57, refering the stocks channel doesn't search shares on FT-SE100 (UK sharemarket benchmark index).

3. (I don't think I can forgive this) P72-75, a great 4-page tutorial on how to create a stunning photo book, using iPhoto and Apple photo book ordering services. Great details, good use of screen dumps, good step-by-step instructions... However, the Apple photo book services simply not available in Australia! Even the first sentence tell the story:

Well, not sure what's the point of the tutorial if none of the reader can use the service (unless the reader want to send the photo book to friends or relatives in UK??)

Well, I would hope that their editoral would do a better job in the next issue.
heh, perhaps we've finally found a major first world country where it actually sucks more to be a Mac user than in the UK!!?

Forum Links
Forum Rules