Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > What is the benefit for a 5.1 speaker systems on a Mac?

What is the benefit for a 5.1 speaker systems on a Mac?
veryniceguy2002
Senior User
Nov 2, 2004, 10:27 PM

There's a few 5.1 sound card/speaker for Mac available at the moment. I would like to know what would be the benefit to have a 5.1 sound systems connected to the Mac?

Would 5.1 sound only benefitical if I use the Mac to watch DVD only? Are there any other things (games I guess, but which ones?) that take advantage of a 5.1 sound systems for my Mac?

jocker
Forum Regular
Nov 4, 2004, 07:11 AM

Originally posted by veryniceguy2002:
There's a few 5.1 sound card/speaker for Mac available at the moment. I would like to know what would be the benefit to have a 5.1 sound systems connected to the Mac?

Would 5.1 sound only benefitical if I use the Mac to watch DVD only? Are there any other things (games I guess, but which ones?) that take advantage of a 5.1 sound systems for my Mac?
I have a 5.1 setup - Logitech Z680 THX certified, and I find that all sound that comes from the mac benefits.

Obviously DVD player gets the most benefit, as it 'tells' the decoder where to place the sounds.

For normal (stereo) sound the decoder does some fancy Pro Logic tricks so things like iTunes still sound amazing (make sure you set the decoder to Dolby Pro Logic Music, as opposed to Dolby Pro Logic Movie).

Hope this helps. I recommend getting an airport express as that comes with optical digital out, and also recommend the logitech Z680s. Read some reviews on the 'net they always get 5 stars.
AlBook G4 15", iMac 20"

mishakim
Forum Regular
Nov 4, 2004, 10:47 AM

Jocker, how to do you get the 5.1 signal from your powerbook to the Z680s? My understanding was the optical out on Airport Express only worked with iTunes, not for all the other audio from the computer controlling it.

Forum Links
Forum Rules