Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > How to make Safari full screen?

How to make Safari full screen?
veryniceguy2002
Senior User
Jun 24, 2006, 11:43 PM

I got a friend who just switch from Windows to Mac, and he asked me a question I thought that it's very obvious, until I tried it and it's not so!

He would like to know (given he's a Windows user) how to make Safari full screen. I thought that the obvious answer to press the maximise button (+) on the titlebar... not so! I tried to my Mac just then, and apparantly Safari doesn't maximise the window to full screen! It will just change to a default(?) size. Is there an easy way for him to maximise it, without manually dragged the title to the top left, and manually change size to a full screen?

Thinine
Mac Elite
Jun 25, 2006, 01:21 AM

Tell him that Windows has made him stupid and that he shouldn't want Safari full screen.

iSteve
Forum Regular
Jun 25, 2006, 02:03 AM

Originally Posted by Thinine
Tell him that Windows has made him stupid and that he shouldn't want Safari full screen.
and why the hell not?

Macanoid
Senior User
Jun 25, 2006, 02:04 AM

There are plugins that will solve that problem, but an easier way might be to download Camino. It's like Firefox, but way more Mac-like. Because it's built upon the same code as Firefox, your less likely to come across sites that don't work (properly) than you will with Safari. It's also somewhat faster as well.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 25, 2006, 02:11 AM

If you want it full screen, drag the window manually to the size of the screen. However, unless you're working at a very small resolution like 1024 x 768, it doesn't make much sense to have your web browser take up the whole screen. Many web sites are hard coded so that they won't take up the whole screen even if the window is that big, and in general (especially with widescreen displays) it's more efficient to just have the browser take up 2/3rds or so of the screen, leaving the rest for other things like your desktop, easy access to other windows, etc. It's also harder to read lines of text that stretch way across the screen.

veryniceguy2002  (op)
Senior User
Jun 25, 2006, 02:12 AM

Originally Posted by Macanoid
There are plugins that will solve that problem, but an easier way might be to download Camino. It's like Firefox, but way more Mac-like. Because it's built upon the same code as Firefox, your less likely to come across sites that don't work (properly) than you will with Safari. It's also somewhat faster as well.
Ideally I would tell him to get FireFox. However, he's having a hard time with him MacBook so far (overcooked MacBook due the factory fitted clear plastic film blocked air vent; had to get a replacement). Also he hasn't got DSL at his home yet, so I don't want to get him to install more apps now if it can be avoided.

What are the plugin names that can solve the problem? Can someone name it here so that I can find it from VersionTracker or MacUpdate??

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 25, 2006, 02:38 AM

"Saft" extension does this,

http://haoli.dnsalias.com/Saft/index.html

from Saft's readme file…

Full/Max Screen
Saft adds a new preference pane in Safari called Saft, and two extra menu items under Safari menu, just above the "Preferences...", called "Full Screen" and "Max Screen". Select "Full Screen" to turn on full-screen feature. If there is a browser window in front, it will be re-opened in full-screen mode, otherwise an empty browser window will be opened. Toggle "Full Screen" to turn it off, and all full-screen browser windows are re-opened in normal mode. Use "Max Screen" to zoom normal browser window to maximize its size. If "Max Screen" is desired for every browser windows, you can turn on the option "Zoom new browser window to max" in Saft preference pane.

Use the key combination "Apple-Shift-F" to toggle between normal and full-screen mode. You can get max amount of browser area by turning off the Address Bar, Bookmarks Bar and Status Bar, or turning on the "hide toolbars and status bar" option so Saft does that automatically. To get full access to the Safari menu bar in the full-screen mode, you can turn on the options "Auto show menu bar" or "Enable Saft contextual menu" in Saft preferences. When the "Auto show menu bar" option is on, you can move the mouse to the top of the screen, the menu bar will scroll down so you can access it as in normal window situation.

Mithras
Professional Poster
Jun 25, 2006, 03:52 PM

MegaZoomer kicks ass.
Just press command-Enter in any Cocoa app, and the frontmost window zooms to full screen.

Forum Links
Forum Rules