Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Mac News > Saying Farewell: reviewer and commenter Sanjiv Sathiah

Saying Farewell: reviewer and commenter Sanjiv Sathiah
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
Jun 24, 2016, 08:52 AM

I first started writing for MacNN and Electronista back in 2010, after seeing an ad in the banner of the site, looking to hire new writers. I was already gainfully employed in a good job, but I just love technology so much, and always had aspirations as a writer, that I thought I'd apply and see what happened. I was very fortunate to be chosen out of over a hundred applicants, and have thoroughly enjoyed the journey since then. For me, it has been nice to have a second income stream, but I've done this job because I've absolutely loved it, not because I've had to do it.

I've been reading the lovely comments from fans of the site after our editor, Charles Martin, wrote about out impending closure. The news equally came as a shock to us it did to you, our loyal readers. However, it has been very heartening to read the comments from our readership, many of whom have been with the site from its inception in 1996. I have been quite emotional in reading that you all "got" what we've been trying to do with the site in terms of providing coverage of Apple -- many Apple sites come across as if "we've been drinking from the Cupertino Kool-Aid fountain," which something we have avoided.

That our readership recognizes this means a lot to me personally, as that is something that I know I've tried to do with my writing. Apple does a lot of great things, which is why it enjoys the privileged position that it currently does, but it serves no one to keep patting the company on the back even when it might get things wrong from time to time.

Apple has been a part of my life since my dad bought me and my brother an Apple ][ back in the late 70s, when I was in primary school. That was perhaps my dad's greatest gift to my brother and me, as we not only became technologically literate at a very early age, but we both developed a life-long love of all things Apple and all things tech over the ensuing years. We also both ended up using Apple technology in our respective careers -- my brother as an audio engineer and composer, and me as a secondary-school English teacher integrating technology into the classroom. Obviously, it also gave me the capability and insight required to write for MacNN.

Although I do not know exactly what was ultimately the cause of our demise as a site, I know that it had absolutely nothing to do with the quality of what we have been producing. In particular, since Mike Wuerthele took the helm, with Charles Martin at his side, I believe we have been producing some of the best original content on the web about all things Apple and related.

Unfortunately, this was set against a background where web browsers and blocking of ads (our lifeblood) have become commonplace, and web-based ad revenue has plummeted -- for us and other sites -- to around a tenth of what it was even a couple of years ago. Whether this was the cause or some other factor, we just haven't been told.

I would like to take the opportunity to thank everyone for making MacNN a regular part of your lives as it has been for us. We have thoroughly loved covering Apple for you, and are thrilled to learn that you have enjoyed the ride just as much as we have. I would also like to thank all of my colleagues at the site including Mike, Charles, Malcolm, Bradley, Amber, and William for giving it their all, as well as Monish, for being such a loyal and encouraging boss.

Monish let me spread my wings beyond simply reporting Apple news, to being given the freedom to write what I wanted to write about: aspects of Apple news that I was personally passionate about. To have founded MacNN when all the way back in 1996 and to keep it alive to 2016 is an incredible accomplishment.

I wish all my colleagues and all of you, the best!
( Last edited by NewsPoster; Jun 24, 2016 at 01:32 PM. )

rexray
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 24, 2016, 11:37 AM

Thanks for your contributions to making MacNN one of my almost daily tech news/info/opinion sites! Best of luck in the future!
Earth is Heaven in Drag.

Mac128guy4
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 24, 2016, 12:31 PM

I am long time reader of MacNN. Sorry to see it shut down. Thanks for the years of Mac news & articles. My best to all MacNN staff and journalists.

Deal
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 24, 2016, 01:41 PM

Be sure to let us know where the new site will be!

MitchIves
Jun 24, 2016, 02:02 PM

There really is no replacement for this site. While it says I recently joined, I have in fact been viewing this site daily since it first started. I suspect that's the case with a lot of us. You will all be sorely missed...

Steve Wilkinson
Senior User
Jun 25, 2016, 05:23 PM

Thanks Sanjiv for all you've done!

And, I agree on the difference. Even though we readers, I suppose, sometimes picked on aspects of articles as being 'fanboy-ish' the difference is pretty clear. I think many of the other Apple news sites have nearly become marketing-copy duplicators, some with a bit more fluffy writing than others. So, I appreciated that you guys dug in deeper and took opinions (even when I disagreed).
------
Steve Wilkinson
Web designer | Christian apologist
cgWerks | TilledSoil.org

Forum Links
Forum Rules