Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Current Work Situation - Covid-19 (Poll)

View Poll Results: What’s your current work situation ?
Poll Options:
Still at work, just as before (no changes) 5 votes (26.32%)
Now working from home 11 votes (57.89%)
Reduced work hours 0 votes (0%)
Recently out of work 0 votes (0%)
Snarky option #5 0 votes (0%)
Other - explain 3 votes (15.79%)
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll
Current Work Situation - Covid-19 (Poll)
turtle777
Clinically Insane
Mar 18, 2020, 07:50 PM

So, talk about your work situation after SHTF.
I’m working from home now, full hours, but that might change soon. I expect reduced hours.

-t

ghporter
Administrator
Mar 18, 2020, 08:31 PM

I’m still working, pretty much as normal. We’re a rehab hospital; we get folks after they’re “stable,” which doesn’t mean “not still really, really sick.

There are some adaptations. We have very limited visiting hours, we’re actively screening EVERYBODY that enters the building, including all employees, ambulance crews, and so on.

I expect that we’ll be less busy as time goes by, with fewer and fewer elective procedures meaning fewer elderly knee replacement patients, and so on. But when it hits the fan, we’ll be really busy.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Thorzdad
Mar 18, 2020, 08:40 PM

I work at home normally, so no big change for me. My wife is director for a small home healthcare business, and their office is still open (though she sometimes works from home when she needs to get her actual work done, instead of having to put out fires in the office.) She also has to go into new clients’ homes to do an intake interview, so there are days she’s on the road all over the place. So far, no changes for her, either.

Technically, I suppose the business fits into the “essential” list, so I don’t expect them to have to close any time soon. Surprisingly, they haven’t really been beset by a ton of their caregivers bailing on them to stay home with their kids or whatever. Still, every day is an exercise in nervousness.

andi*pandi
Mar 19, 2020, 04:34 AM

We started optionally working from home last week. I had a lingering cold and was told to stay home. This week unless you are essential (read: security, janitorial, mail, printing?) you are being told to work from home and not actually allowed in the building unless your manager says you can.

We have been using Zoom for remote meetings, since some employees already worked from home a lot, and slack, so not a huge learning curve... but my home desk is nowhere near as efficiently set up. I brought home newer macs and monitors to set up. Eventually.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Mar 19, 2020, 07:16 AM

I'm teaching from home as most other music teachers are.

But my gigging income, which made for about half of the total, is at zero. Nil.

Doc HM
Professional Poster
Mar 19, 2020, 07:16 AM

I work at a local college 3 days a week, so we close on Friday but I'm at home from now. We'll be doing distance learning with the students until further notice.

The other 2 days I run my Mac repair, fixing, training business. This week that has gone from normal work load (clients) last week to 0% this week.
This space for Hire! Reasonable rates. Reach an audience of literally dozens!

Thorzdad
Mar 19, 2020, 04:49 PM

One of the axles broke on my wife’s Honda yesterday. Looks like our emergency funds will be a bit smaller than we planned.

mindwaves
Mar 19, 2020, 06:52 PM

I’m actually living in a country next to China (secret) and for the most part, everything has been normal. I worked from home one week last month but that was optional. People wear masks everywhere, restaurants are a bit slow, and there was a food run yesterday, but all else normal. People still going to work, a bit paranoid of course, but ok. I want to work from home as I have plantar fasciitis and could benefit from staying at home but need to be at the office to train a new guy recently hired. Masks are being rationed here and I’m well stocked with food in case I need to be quarantined.

reader50
Administrator
Mar 19, 2020, 10:06 PM

Normal work so far. No reported cases nearby yet.

Edit: California has issued a stay-at-home order for people in nonessential employment. Looks like it's work-at-home, or emergencies. Or food trips. Until further notice.
Originally Posted by Thorzdad View Post
One of the axles broke on my wife’s Honda yesterday. Looks like our emergency funds will be a bit smaller than we planned.
That reads like a cop report, of how their gun discharged 5x ... by itself apparently. I rather doubt the axle broke overnight while the car was in the garage.

Was she doing high-speed offroading? I won't tell anyone.
( Last edited by reader50; Mar 20, 2020 at 12:10 AM. )

OreoCookie
Mar 20, 2020, 02:48 AM

I've been working from home since last Tuesday and my wife has lugged her work monitor home yesterday, too. That'll be an interesting experience, working from home next to one another.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

P
Mar 20, 2020, 06:03 AM

Working from home since Wednesday. It is still on a voluntary basis as in I can go in to the office if I want to, but there is a mandatory information meeting this afternoon, so it might change.

I recently made an effort to improve my home office, and I now have a quite nice setup with the display on an arm, a nice wide desk, speakers and a microphone for phone conferences, laptop on a stand for a second display, etc. Right now this seems prescient. I have colleagues who are making do with the laptop on an ironing board.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Thorzdad
Mar 20, 2020, 07:16 AM

Originally Posted by reader50 View Post
Edit: California has issued a stay-at-home order for people in nonessential employment. Looks like it's work-at-home, or emergencies. Or food trips. Until further notice.

That reads like a cop report, of how their gun discharged 5x ... by itself apparently. I rather doubt the axle broke overnight while the car was in the garage.

Was she doing high-speed offroading? I won't tell anyone.
She was out running an errand for her office. Sitting at a red light, waiting to turn left. The light changed, she accelerated, heard a loud *THUNK* and the car stopped accelerating. A passerby helped her get the car pushed off the road and she called AAA for assistance. The car was flatbedded to the Honda dealer near our home and that's what they found. Broken axle.

Given the craptacular state of some of the roads around here, it's perfectly possible she hit a big pothole at some point, and that severely weakened the axle. Then, when she accelerated from the stop, that was the last bit of torque the part could handle and it failed. At least, that's my theory.

reader50
Administrator
Mar 20, 2020, 01:01 PM

Ah, halfshaft on a FWD car. Specifically, one of the ball joints failed. For some reason, I was picturing a solid axle breaking.

They'll swap it for a new or rebuilt halfshaft, and relieve you of a few hundred. Might only take an hour.

Thorzdad
Mar 20, 2020, 01:59 PM

Must have been much more than the balljoint, then. They relieved us of far more than a couple hundred.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Mar 20, 2020, 02:19 PM

Axles don't have balljoints, they have u-joints or CV joints. Depending on the vehicle, a lot of the suspension/knuckle has to be removed to get the axle in and out, and touching the suspension requires alignment, which is an easy +$200 for the dealer to drop on top of everything else.

reader50
Administrator
Mar 20, 2020, 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
Axles don't have balljoints, they have u-joints or CV joints. Depending on the vehicle, a lot of the suspension/knuckle has to be removed to get the axle in and out, and touching the suspension requires alignment, which is an easy +$200 for the dealer to drop on top of everything else.
You are correct, I used the wrong term. I meant the CV joint, with large ball bearings in it.

My first car was a used 1980 Civic. It blew a few CV joints in the half shafts. If the boot failed, ball bearings fell out. If I had a replacement halfshaft on hand, it could take me as little as an hour to swap them. Never tried it on any later car. I remember rebuilt halfshafts being $150-250.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Mar 20, 2020, 05:01 PM

Although I've been working more or less as usual the feeling is it's all going to come to a screeching halt soon. My partner is now working from home with an ungodly slow work laptop but I'm a lead carpenter for a small renovation company. Right now our projects are: Brand new house thats just been sheetrocked/plastered, and old ass Victorian shitshow thats not currently occupied. I had planned on working until I was told not to by Chaaahlie Baker, but at this exact moment all I have is a great big shrug.

If the housing market takes a 2008 turn I'd be looking at some more lean years, awesome! Us millennials have had it so easy, what with 9/11, 2 multi-decade wars, skyrocketing cost of healthcare and higher education, crumbling infrastructure, economic collapse, unparalleled greed, global pandemics and economic collapse(s).

andi*pandi
Mar 20, 2020, 08:12 PM

If there's no one in the victorian but you, or another worker in the other room, why not work? There were more people in costco tonight. It was like a weird parade where everyone silently made way. Very polite, but also eerily quiet.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Mar 21, 2020, 08:12 AM

I work from home anyway. Except when I'm onsite. One of my two biggest customers has sent their office home to work and is only running their warehouse. The other is poised to do the same.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 22, 2020, 01:30 PM

WFH for the last week. Will continue for the foreseeable future.

Thorzdad
Mar 22, 2020, 05:37 PM

InDOT here has a website where you can call-up the traffic cams posted along the interstates. They look so empty right now. True, it's a Sunday, but they're usually pretty busy even then. It will be interesting to see what rush hour looks like tomorrow.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Mar 22, 2020, 07:27 PM

Work in manufacturing. Plant officially shut down today and will stay that way for at least two weeks. We're told to do what we can from home, but without production support to do, there's a lot less than normal. I have a bit of programming and design work I can do so I'll stay busy when I can. I boxed up some spare hardware we had lying around to bring home for testing.

School is closed for the oldest so he's home, day care is still open for the 2 year old, but we're not sending her to the petri dish. Wife is home and has claimed the "home office" space, so I set up a folding table in the basement and pulled out my 22" monitor from 2006 and got to work.

subego
Clinically Insane
Mar 23, 2020, 11:38 AM

I’m pretty sure I have that exact same model of folding table. They’re really good for how light they are.

Does it have the cloth handle which gets accidentally sammiched inside?

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Mar 23, 2020, 12:00 PM

YEP! $35 at Menards. Some was browsing up and down most aisles dry coughing the whole time. Really tried to avoid her.

mindwaves
Mar 26, 2020, 11:37 PM

Work in the office. Besides one week from working at home (in early Feb), been in the office 9.5 hour a day (including lunch). I bring my lunch most days to avoid people.

ghporter
Administrator
Mar 28, 2020, 09:45 AM

Working my tail off lately. Our staffing has taken a hit to some extent. Schools closed means some coworkers can’t come in, and others are having (different) health issues because of the wonderful way San Antonio’s spring behaves. Oak pollen in the 25-30 THOUSAND range on a regular basis, but when it rains and washes the oak out, up comes mold.

mindwaves
Apr 8, 2020, 04:16 AM

Woking at home for the next 2 weeks is good. When I go to work the next week, I'm required to do a forehead temp check before entering the building and need to wear a mask inside the building lobby and elevator. Not in the office itself though, at least for now. Most places need to do the temp check and wash hands with rubbing alcohol before entering. Worse thing about this is Face ID never works because wearing of the mask. I have to manually type the passcode so many times and it doesn't even register many times, requiring me to type again. Thinking of going back to my iPhone 7 for the time being.

turtle777  (op)
Clinically Insane
Apr 8, 2020, 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by mindwaves View Post
Worse thing about this is Face ID never works because wearing of the mask. I have to manually type the passcode so many times and it doesn't even register many times, requiring me to type again..
Yep. FaceID is a big headache with masks.
I miss the good old days of TouchID - it was quick and unobtrusive.

On balance, if I had the choice, I’d take TouchID over FaceID on my phone.

On the iPad, different story. TouchID is clumsy, especially in landscape mode.

-t

andi*pandi
Apr 8, 2020, 11:10 AM

While better than nothing, a temperature check at the door can't tell if you're asymptomatic.

Thorzdad
Apr 8, 2020, 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
On the iPad, different story. TouchID is clumsy, especially in landscape mode.
Have you tried teaching it a new fingerprint in that orientation?

turtle777  (op)
Clinically Insane
Apr 8, 2020, 11:42 AM

No. It's more the act of having to reach to the iPad )iPad in landscape, sitting in from of me on desk), twisting the hand, and touch the side of it.
It recognizes the fingerprint fine, but FaceID would be much more seamless.

For the phone, I have it in my hand when I use it. For the iPad, that's not always the case.

-t

OreoCookie
Apr 8, 2020, 08:53 PM

In my experience, the orientation isn't the problem. My new iPad Pro has FaceID and it is sooooo much better. My new 16" MacBook Pro's TouchID felt instantly out of date. Unlocking passwords is browsers is so smooth now.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

ghporter
Administrator
Apr 9, 2020, 12:09 PM

I've been washing my hands like three times as often as before, so my right thumbprint isn't being recognized as consistently as it used to be. My phone still likes my left thumb though.

Hand sanitizer plays heck with skin too. Even the stuff with "moisturizers" in it. Maybe worse with that stuff. Anyway I use sanitizer to sanitize things (usually plastic exercise devices/weights, etc.) then I wash my hands to get the sanitizer gunk off.

I highly recommend Corn Huskers lotion for really dry skin. It takes a LONG time to soak in, but it lasts too.

Thorzdad
Apr 9, 2020, 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
I highly recommend Corn Huskers lotion for really dry skin. It takes a LONG time to soak in, but it lasts too.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Apr 13, 2020, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
Yep. FaceID is a big headache with masks.
Fighting this, as I wear a mask any time I have to go to the grocery store and now that we're back at work I'm in a mask full time. My biggest pet peeve is the delay in letting me enter my PIN, and the delay in recognizing the first number press. 75% of the time I finish entering my PIN and find that I'm one number short. I have to wait a second after the number pad is displayed before I can start my pin, or it just flat out misses the first digit.

andi*pandi
Apr 13, 2020, 07:40 PM

back at work? the coasts have barely begun to flatten the curve and I saw a report that more rural areas were just ramping up...

mindwaves
Apr 13, 2020, 08:56 PM

Fighting this, as I wear a mask any time I have to go to the grocery store and now that we're back at work I'm in a mask full time. My biggest pet peeve is the delay in letting me enter my PIN, and the delay in recognizing the first number press. 75% of the time I finish entering my PIN and find that I'm one number short. I have to wait a second after the number pad is displayed before I can start my pin, or it just flat out misses the first digit.
Similar issue for me. But I think my iPhone 7 registers my key presses better than my 11 Pro.

turtle777  (op)
Clinically Insane
Apr 13, 2020, 11:11 PM

I would probably just turn off FaceID and rely on the passcode altogether.

-t

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Apr 14, 2020, 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
back at work? the coasts have barely begun to flatten the curve and I saw a report that more rural areas were just ramping up...
Ag is a critical business and farmers need to get the crops in this season, or else we're in a whole lot of trouble. I'm splitting time between the office and home, and plenty of measures have been put in place to keep us safe....er.

andi*pandi
Apr 14, 2020, 08:14 PM

Ah, thought you were software guy, didn't realize for Ag. Stay safe.

subego
Clinically Insane
Apr 15, 2020, 12:02 AM

https://www.straitstimes.com/tech/sm...wearing-a-mask

Claims you can (with difficulty) train FaceID to recognize a mask.

subego
Clinically Insane
May 21, 2020, 02:49 PM

School is closed for the oldest so he's home, day care is still open for the 2 year old, but we're not sending her to the petri dish. Wife is home and has claimed the "home office" space, so I set up a folding table in the basement and pulled out my 22" monitor from 2006 and got to work.

I just set up a temporary computer workstation for someone using a different plastic table.

It’s super flexy when I type. Have you had that problem?

Mac User #001
Mac Elite
May 21, 2020, 10:49 PM

I chose a career in retail so if anything it has been busier for me!
I have returned... 2020 MacBook Air - 1.1 GHz Quad-Core i5 - 16 GB RAM

andi*pandi
May 22, 2020, 11:00 AM

Grocery or other?

We are now told we'll be working from home til July 6.

Mac User #001
Mac Elite
May 23, 2020, 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
Grocery or other?
Other - The Target life day in and day out!
I have returned... 2020 MacBook Air - 1.1 GHz Quad-Core i5 - 16 GB RAM

mindwaves
May 24, 2020, 09:59 PM

I have to go to work like normal last month or so.

Forum Links
Forum Rules