Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > RadioSHARK from Griffin� AM/FM USB radio

RadioSHARK from Griffin� AM/FM USB radio
veryniceguy2002
Senior User
Jul 16, 2003, 06:38 AM

For a 20 something year old like me, who happens to like listening to AM radio stations more than FM radio stations, it is a good news :

http://www.griffintechnology.com/pro...ark/index.html
RadioSHARK
AM-FM Radio with Time Shift Recording
[ Pre-order now - shipping by end of Summer ]

The radio airwaves will never be safe again. The RadioSHARK adds a software controlled AM-FM radio to any Mac computer - but thats just the beginning.

The RadioSHARK can also record any AM, FM or even Internet radio broadcast. You can program the RadioSHARK to record a scheduled show or as a way of �pausing� live radio, giving you the ability to return to right where you left off moments or even hours later. It can also record audio Internet streams, either scheduled or real-time, from any streaming audio application available.

The RadioSHARK connects to and is powered by USB. The fin-shaped device acts as the antenna and can be adjusted and positioned for best reception. Once connected, all radio tuning and control is through its full-featured front-end application. Favorite station presets can be set with the click of a mouse and new stations can be scanned and tuned with ease.

The RadioSHARK application is also where you can program the RadioSHARK to record your favorite broadcast to listen to later. You may also then transfer the recorded broadcast to an iPod or any other AIFF compatible digital music player for on the go replay.

The RadioSHARK gives you an AM/FM radio for your Mac But even better, the RadioSHARK gives you control of how and when you listen to your favorite radio shows. Dive in today and take control of your airwaves.
All I hope is that the AM receiver does not suffer much from interference generated from other electronic sources like computers...

DigitalEl
Mac Elite
Jul 16, 2003, 07:25 AM

It doesn't say whether you can record a show, say PRI's "Marketplace," each day, then download it to your iPod for listening on your 45-minute commute later.

I wonder whether it records in a common format or a proprietary one?
Jalen's dad. Carrie's husband.  partisan. Bleu blanc et rouge.

veryniceguy2002  (op)
Senior User
Jul 16, 2003, 07:35 AM

Originally posted by DigitalEl:
It doesn't say whether you can record a show, say PRI's "Marketplace," each day, then download it to your iPod for listening on your 45-minute commute later.

I wonder whether it records in a common format or a proprietary one?
Well, it does say in the Griffin page:
The RadioSHARK application is also where you can program the RadioSHARK to record your favorite broadcast to listen to later. You may also then transfer the recorded broadcast to an iPod or any other AIFF compatible digital music player for on the go replay.
So the only thing it doesn't say what you want is whether it can repeatedly record the same timeslot on the same station on a regular basis.

I guess if the application included doesn't include such feature, you can try to make it so using Apple script?

DigitalEl
Mac Elite
Jul 16, 2003, 07:53 AM

D'oh. It's early for many, but the end of the day for us overnight workers. Guess I missed that!
Jalen's dad. Carrie's husband.  partisan. Bleu blanc et rouge.

Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 16, 2003, 11:09 AM

The idea that anyone still listens to the radio for music sickens me. It SUX!

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 16, 2003, 11:13 AM

Originally posted by Severed Hand of Skywalker:
You've got no idea

Early morning listening

Work listening

marusin
Senior User
Jul 16, 2003, 12:00 PM

You don't understand how jazzed I am about this... I'm lucky to have some great radio stations by me that broadcast lots of concerts over the radio. I tape a lot of these (I got a great Radiohead and Wilco show this way in particular) and I've always had to move my radio near my computer and hook up cables to record these concerts (as well as be there at the time it starts to hit record and hit stop afterwards)... This is something I've been waiting a long time for... It's practically a Tivo for your radio.

Plus to record some of the radio shows I have to miss during the day while at work (talk radio that is) and be able to have them auto-record and put them on my ipod and listen while I'm commuting is awesome.. There is nothing good on during my morning commute, but now there can be easily..

I'm happy.

-Q-
Jul 16, 2003, 12:04 PM

So how long before the RIAA gets involved in this area and says it's illegal to record the shows off the airwaves?

veryniceguy2002  (op)
Senior User
Jul 17, 2003, 08:45 AM

People aren't just listen to radio for music (some do, because they just like the DJs to pick the playlist).

People listen to radio for news, sport coverage, information, and entertainment!

GORDYmac
Mac Elite
Jul 17, 2003, 12:03 PM

Originally posted by -Q-:
So how long before the RIAA gets involved in this area and says it's illegal to record the shows off the airwaves?
They already lost that battle.

scaught
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 17, 2003, 01:37 PM

hmm. this is a pretty cool idea. i mean, they arent going to blow the ass-end out of the peripheral market with it or anything, but it seems like a cool, original idea thats functional.

griffin technology is awesome.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jul 17, 2003, 03:16 PM

Not everyone lives in a radio wasteland.

If you live in a big enough market, there are usually a couple of college stations worth listening to.

I'd also guess the radioshark is aimed more at the talk radio junkie (like myself).

For those worried about AM reception, I know the C. Crane company offers all kinds of goodies that could help. They have external AM antennas which work without an antenna jack (you velcro the antenna lead outside the radio as close to the internal antenna as you can get).

veryniceguy2002  (op)
Senior User
Jul 18, 2003, 08:12 AM

Originally posted by subego:
Not everyone lives in a radio wasteland.

If you live in a big enough market, there are usually a couple of college stations worth listening to.
Well, BBC
is definitely offers good networks (after all, 7 domestic networks + "extras" + BBC world services... they definitely know how to make radio programmes).

ABC (The Australian Broadbasting Corporation, not the US one!) radio also has very good networks.

I occasionally listen to NPR's All Things Considered (via ABC relay)... it isn't that bad... right??

I'd also guess the radioshark is aimed more at the talk radio junkie (like myself).

For those worried about AM reception, I know the C. Crane company offers all kinds of goodies that could help. They have external AM antennas which work without an antenna jack (you velcro the antenna lead outside the radio as close to the internal antenna as you can get).
Can subego tell me which specific one are you referring to? I had a look at the site, and I can only find US$150 AM radio, truckie antenna or US$99.95 Antenna...

subego
Clinically Insane
Jul 18, 2003, 12:58 PM

Originally posted by veryniceguy2002:
Can subego tell me which specific one are you referring to? I had a look at the site, and I can only find US$150 AM radio, truckie antenna or US$99.95 Antenna...
Check here.

The "Justice" powered antenna has both hardwire and ferrite stick connectors. It comes with a 5 foot lead but they also offer 25 and 50 foot leads, which should get you far far away from any EM holes you have.

The Super Select-A-Tenna also has both hardwire and ferrite stick connectors.

They offer hardwire "regular" Select-A-Tennas. I think C. Crane developed the hardwire model themselves, so it couldn't hurt to ask if they can swap out the hardwire for ferrite stick. The Terk is a hardwire too, but I think it comes that way from Terk.

Unfortunately, about US$70 is the cheapest any of this is going to be... but hey, AM radio is worth it, right?

kalonji
Jul 19, 2003, 11:47 AM

this is awesome! i love listening to talkradio programs on AM. thanks for the info

now if there was only an AM receiver for my 3g ipod i'd be a very happy man
( Last edited by kalonji; Jul 19, 2003 at 11:56 AM. )

veryniceguy2002  (op)
Senior User
Jul 20, 2003, 12:09 AM

Originally posted by kalonji:

now if there was only an AM receiver for my 3g ipod i'd be a very happy man
Well, if the Digital radio broadbast slowly but steadily rollout throughtout the world, I guess I would be more interested to see radio capable to receive DAB or DRM (I wish both!) for the iPod or Mac in a few years time

kalonji
Jul 20, 2003, 09:52 AM

hey the only concern i have with this thing is how good the signal will pick up all the broadcasts.

digital audio sounds more clear (although i'm used to and prefer the 'sound' from my am radio) but i'm just worried about the times when the signal gets weak and you get that nasty digital audio breakup, kind of like what you hear when an audiostream goes bad because of rebuffering.

am i makng any sense? are there any technical champs that can fill me in on some info?

i'm thinking about picking one up as soon as it hits the apple store.

Diggory Laycock
Professional Poster
Jul 20, 2003, 09:47 PM

Wow - I was just thinking earlier this week how cool something like this would be - I was imagining something smaller though.
You know it makes sense. ☼ ☼ ☼ Growl.

subego
Clinically Insane
Oct 28, 2003, 11:17 AM

Looks like it's been delayed until Christmas. Not sure when it changed, but it used to say "late October", which is why I swung by in the first place.

Drag.

vipe
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 29, 2003, 06:50 PM

And not to mention the pre-order price rose $20 a month or two ago...

Once a consideration; now most definetly not. Most of the AM talk shows I listen to have since starting archiving their shows.

drjoe
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 30, 2003, 03:29 AM

Live opera broadcasts from the Met

Liva and recorded concerts on PBS

C.J. Moof
Mac Elite
Oct 31, 2003, 11:05 AM

Originally posted by drjoe:
Live opera broadcasts from the Met

Liva and recorded concerts on PBS
It's a neato idea, but I'll pass unless NPR stops archiving their content online for me. Why buy a piece of hardware and supervise it's recordings when someone else is doing the work for me?

If it's not in an NPR archive to get at my convienence, I'll live without it. There are only so many hours in a day.....
OS X: Where software installation doesn't require wizards with shields.

G-mac
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 2, 2003, 03:44 AM

I can't seem to get those NPR archives to load properly - perhaps I need to reload realAudio. Maybe I will need to get one of these gadgets. Postponed though?

JFischel
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 3, 2003, 03:13 PM

I want it so I can "tape" Howard Stern and throw it on my iPod the next day. Too bad Opie and Anthony aren't on anymore!

-Josh
20 Inch Intel iMac * MacBook 2 GHz * 60GB iPod * 4GB iPhone

veryniceguy2002  (op)
Senior User
Dec 14, 2003, 11:02 PM

Looks like it's been delayed until Christmas. Not sure when it changed, but it used to say "late October", which is why I swung by in the first place.

Drag.
I just checked RadioSHARK web page again, and now it only states "Shipping soon"

I guess it sounds like you won't able to see it till MWSF the earliest? Or is this become another vapourware??

Very disappointing.

fado
Dec 15, 2003, 01:17 AM

I am going to have to agree... I have been checking that status on a weekly basis and still not ready. What is griffin doing?

dgbatchelor
Forum Regular
Dec 15, 2003, 02:09 AM

Have people's credit cards been charged for the pre-orders???

Seems like a real long time to get this product to market (after announcing it and taking pre-orders)...

GORDYmac
Mac Elite
Dec 15, 2003, 12:53 PM

Actually, it's typical Griffin (iTrip, iTrip 3G, iFire, PowerWave). Announce...wait...wait...wait...wait some more...change the release date...wait...wait...release.

If their stuff wasn't so cool I wouldn't bother. My iTrip wasn't on my credit card until a fews days before it shipped, back when it was preorder.

veryniceguy2002  (op)
Senior User
Jan 25, 2004, 05:07 AM

Well now we have to wait until April!

If it isn't the ability to record AM (as well as FM), then I would have bought something else

Perhaps we will see it on Macworld Boston (if it goes ahead)?

Russian Mac fan
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 26, 2004, 03:45 AM

I don't understand something - why don't you use Audio Hijack Pro to do the same thing?

I "tape" many broadcasts with AudioHijack Pro including WABC, KRLA, WJNO, WLS, WGST, KFTK, etc.

veryniceguy2002  (op)
Senior User
Jan 26, 2004, 05:02 AM

Originally posted by Russian Mac fan:
I don't understand something - why don't you use Audio Hijack Pro to do the same thing?

I "tape" many broadcasts with AudioHijack Pro including WABC, KRLA, WJNO, WLS, WGST, KFTK, etc.
Oh... why did I type record in my last post when I actually mean listen?

Well, if I just want to record it, then yes Audio Hijack may meet my needs.

But I am looking for something that I can listen to AM/FM radio without my an actual radio, so RadioSHARK would suit me (that is if it ever shipped out from Griffin...)

deej5871
Senior User
Apr 13, 2004, 08:38 PM

I already have my RadioShark on pre-order. Now why isn't it shipping yet?! It's April. I will be ultra mad if it is delayed again. I ordered mine way back in December (on MacMall, who still has it for $50 rather than $70, which is what Griffin is asking for). I wish they would be more specific than just "April". I want it now!

veryniceguy2002  (op)
Senior User
Apr 13, 2004, 09:32 PM

Originally posted by deej5871:
I already have my RadioShark on pre-order. Now why isn't it shipping yet?! It's April. I will be ultra mad if it is delayed again. I ordered mine way back in December (on MacMall, who still has it for $50 rather than $70, which is what Griffin is asking for). I wish they would be more specific than just "April". I want it now!
Not sure where you find the word "April" being mentioned anywhere... the product page in Griffin only mention "Coming soon" nowadays.

I guess you might not see it shipping during Macworld Boston time.
Perhaps if anyone who will go to Macworld Boston please drop by the Griffin stand, ask them loudly what happen to the RadioShark?

I hope you haven't pay a cent for your pre-order yet.

What puzzles me is that Griffin claimed the delay due to their software problems (incompability with OS X 10.3). Now, wouldn't they better off to ship it first and stating only 10.2 compatable, rather than having thousnads of the hardware sitting idle in the warehouse (assuming they hardware part is already made). By the time 10.4 ships later this year, they might have another catch up game to play with

deej5871
Senior User
Apr 13, 2004, 09:46 PM

Not sure where you find the word "April" being mentioned anywhere... the product page in Griffin only mention "Coming soon" nowadays.

I hope you haven't pay a cent for your pre-order yet.
It was mentioned previously in the topic...there was an article right here on MacNN.

Linkage: http://www.macnn.com/news/23090

It say's delayed till April.

And they even say that they don't charge your card until they start shipping.

veryniceguy2002  (op)
Senior User
Jun 11, 2004, 08:50 AM

Eleven months on... still waiting...

Has anyone heard any news on the latest expected ship date for RadioSHARK?

Macworld Boston will start on 12 July (one month from now). I wonder if anyone be able to see a RadioSHARK showcase in Macworld Boston

marusin
Senior User
Jun 11, 2004, 04:28 PM

Actually, I just got done writing them an email asking the question yet again.

It's still on their product page which is a sign of hope.. Who knows though...

marusin
Senior User
Jun 14, 2004, 02:01 PM

here's their response:
We are now being told to anticipate shipping the RadioShark in late July.

Our apologies for the inconvenience and the delays.

Griffin Technology Support
http://www.griffintechnology.com
Originally posted by marusin:
Actually, I just got done writing them an email asking the question yet again.

It's still on their product page which is a sign of hope.. Who knows though...

deej5871
Senior User
Jun 14, 2004, 11:06 PM

Well..good to know.

Although somehow I don't think I should get my hopes up.

veryniceguy2002  (op)
Senior User
Jul 11, 2004, 05:12 AM

Well, I guess it's appropiate time to present a birthday cake to Grifffin's RadioSHARK (given Macworld Boston starts tomorrow 12th July). It will be one year old on the 15th July. It was first announced on Macworld New York last year.

However, we still cannot get hold of the product yet.

Would anyone who will attend Macworld Boston this week go and drop by the Griffin's stand, and ask whereabout's RadioSHARK, and present this birthday cake to Griffin?
( Last edited by veryniceguy2002; Jul 11, 2004 at 08:20 AM. )

veryniceguy2002  (op)
Senior User
Jul 15, 2004, 11:33 AM

Happy Birthday to you
Happy Birthday to you
Happy Birthday to RadioSHARK...
Happy Birthday to you!

Happy first birthday!

Has anyone gone to Macworld Boston and ask the Griffin Technology people what happened to RadioSHARK?

kafoochy
Forum Regular
Jul 15, 2004, 01:04 PM

Originally posted by marusin:
here's their response:
Ha! I've been sending Griffin an email every month since last december and every response is that it will be shipping at the end of the next month. The only additional information that I was able to get out of them is that it will not support RDS (at least initially, and this is what I was told two months ago, so who knows if this has changed).

blktlr
Forum Regular
Jul 15, 2004, 04:59 PM

I just got an email back from Griffin that says the SharkRadio is finally in production and will be shipping late July or early August.

They ignored my RDS question.

-blake.

veryniceguy2002  (op)
Senior User
Jul 16, 2004, 02:47 AM

Originally posted by kafoochy:
Ha! I've been sending Griffin an email every month since last december and every response is that it will be shipping at the end of the next month. The only additional information that I was able to get out of them is that it will not support RDS (at least initially, and this is what I was told two months ago, so who knows if this has changed).
Sorry, what does RDS stands for?

Diggory Laycock
Professional Poster
Jul 16, 2004, 06:21 AM

You know it makes sense. ☼ ☼ ☼ Growl.

veryniceguy2002  (op)
Senior User
Aug 14, 2004, 10:46 PM

Well, it's mid-August now (15th August).

Does anyone heard any latest news on the shipping date?

blktlr
Forum Regular
Aug 15, 2004, 01:49 AM

I got another response on the 11th.

"My apologies for the delay. The radioSHARK is entering production shortly,
and while I don't have a specific ship date yet, we expect it to start
shipping soon."

Again, no response to the question, "Will the RadioShark support RDS or any other sort of radio data system?"

-blake.

veryniceguy2002  (op)
Senior User
Aug 15, 2004, 02:13 AM

Originally posted by blktlr:
I got another response on the 11th.

"My apologies for the delay. The radioSHARK is entering production shortly,
and while I don't have a specific ship date yet, we expect it to start
shipping soon."

Again, no response to the question, "Will the RadioShark support RDS or any other sort of radio data system?"

-blake.
Didn't Griffin claimed last year that their problem was to do with MacOS X 10.3 (i.e. software problem)? So, the haven't even produce the actual hardware yet??

subego
Clinically Insane
Aug 15, 2004, 07:56 PM

So, the haven't even produce the actual hardware yet??
This is prolly the easy part. I mean it's a power supply, a couple of antennas, a tuner, and a USB chip. I'd guess a USB 1.1 chip at that. Three connections to the chip (L/R audio and tune) and you're in business.

There's a bit more to it I'd guess, but the point is the computer is doing all the work.

MikeD
Mac Elite
Aug 25, 2004, 12:18 AM

This thing isn't going to come out soon is it?

This is prolly the easy part. I mean it's a power supply, a couple of antennas, a tuner, and a USB chip. I'd guess a USB 1.1 chip at that. Three connections to the chip (L/R audio and tune) and you're in business.

There's a bit more to it I'd guess, but the point is the computer is doing all the work.
2009 MacMini 2.0 C2D 4GB (3,1) - Needs update!
11" MBA (2010 1.6GHz C2D)
iPhone 4 / iPad!
Hooked on Apple since the IIGS

veryniceguy2002  (op)
Senior User
Sep 1, 2004, 06:18 AM

Still no news as to when will it ship???

Well, Griffin had released a lot of new products for the last year or so, yet they cannot get the RadioSHARK out of the door?

If the problem they have really to do with software on Mac OS X 10.3, perhaps they should open source their software code, so that Mac users in the public can help out?

Forum Links
Forum Rules