Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > GUI Customization > SimpleX.theme

SimpleX.theme
swiz
GUI Punk
Dec 28, 2002, 03:06 AM

SimpleX has been updated and now includes 4(!) variations, subtle ones at that. All of the menubar suggestions have been added as well as SimpleX-ed brushed elements and original Apple brushed versions of each.
SimpleX brushed is like this:

http://swizcore.com/SS/macOSX.php
( Last edited by swiz; Mar 18, 2003 at 11:38 PM. )

24" AlumiMac 2.4ghz C2D, 4g Ram, 300g HD, 750g USBHD • 80g iPod • 160g ATV • iPhone 3g

nycdunz
Senior User
Dec 28, 2002, 03:13 AM

damn that looks ****in tight! good work swiz! **** you guys are doing an outstanding job with all these themes!

Beer Penguin
Forum Regular
Dec 28, 2002, 03:15 AM

Blue is the ugliest color ever. Why are so many themes blue? You should make an Olive variation. I would use an olive variation.
Dooby, dooby doo.

milhouse
Senior User
Dec 28, 2002, 03:21 AM

Originally posted by swiz:
SimpleX has been updated and now includes 6(!) variations, subtle ones at that. All of the menubar suggestions have been added as well as SimpleX-ed brushed elements and original Apple brushed versions of each.

Your themes are all very well done. kudos.
"-Dodge This"

nycdunz
Senior User
Dec 28, 2002, 03:22 AM

swiz i have problems with your simplex and beosx themes, i can unstuff em, hrmm, its taking forever... any ideas?

swiz  (op)
GUI Punk
Dec 28, 2002, 03:26 AM

Originally posted by Beer Penguin:
Blue is the ugliest color ever. Why are so many themes blue? You should make an Olive variation. I would use an olive variation.
Just keep using Olive Watercolor, thats fine with me.

24" AlumiMac 2.4ghz C2D, 4g Ram, 300g HD, 750g USBHD • 80g iPod • 160g ATV • iPhone 3g

swiz  (op)
GUI Punk
Dec 28, 2002, 03:27 AM

Originally posted by nycdunz:
swiz i have problems with your simplex and beosx themes, i can unstuff em, hrmm, its taking forever... any ideas?
Not sure why it they would be giving you problems. They've unstuffed fine for me after my test download from the site... Post back if you continue to have trouble with them and I'll look further into it.

nycdunz
Senior User
Dec 28, 2002, 03:35 AM

swiz it seems to me that the file completes at 69KB! i tried like 5 times, it wouldnt dl all of it, for both themes, i tried chimera than IE, can someone plz send me these 2 themes, im having problems dl'n em from swiz's site

TheIceMan
Mac Elite
Dec 28, 2002, 04:26 AM

N-I-C-E. Great job Swiz.

solitere
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 28, 2002, 06:50 AM

SimpleX has been updated and now includes 6(!) variations, subtle ones at that. All of the menubar suggestions have been added as well as SimpleX-ed brushed elements and original Apple brushed versions of each.
Duality 4 ms3 says when I trying to install the your simplex theme and any variations of the theme, that it�s not compitable with my current version of OS X. I�m running 10.2.3 (6G30)
All other themes seems to work fine! (milk, brushed, BeOs, BBX) Any ideas!

nycdunz
Senior User
Dec 28, 2002, 07:19 AM

swiz k finally got your themes working but when i use duality 4 ms3 to switch it says these themes might not be compatible with 10.2.3, what gives?

swiz  (op)
GUI Punk
Dec 28, 2002, 12:22 PM

The themes have a tag which specifies them as being compatible with 10.2.3 only, which they are, and Duality cannot work with themes that specify 10.2.3, it can only work with themes specified for 10.2, so I would suggest using ThemeChanger from Cliche' software or if you really like Duality, look inside the .dlta file for the file called main.themescript; and change all the 10.2.3 tags to 10.2 tags. I use ThemeChanger and it is rock solid.

solitere
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 28, 2002, 12:47 PM

The themes have a tag which specifies them as being compatible with 10.2.3 only, which they are, and Duality cannot work with themes that specify 10.2.3, it can only work with themes specified for 10.2, so I would suggest using ThemeChanger from Cliche' software or if you really like Duality, look inside the .dlta file for the file called main.themescript; and change all the 10.2.3 tags to 10.2 tags. I use ThemeChanger and it is rock solid.
Many Thanx Swiz!
Changing the 10.2.3 tags worked. However I have tryed using the ThemeChanger but it wont list any of the themes in the library/themes folder.. Thats why I keep using duality.

swiz  (op)
GUI Punk
Dec 28, 2002, 01:51 PM

Originally posted by solitere:
Many Thanx Swiz!
Changing the 10.2.3 tags worked. However I have tryed using the ThemeChanger but it wont list any of the themes in the library/themes folder.. Thats why I keep using duality.
solitere, for ThemeChanger you need to place your theme files inside the "UserName"/Library/Themes
folder instead of the syste mlibrary folder.

Phat Bastard
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 28, 2002, 03:45 PM

I just installed ThemeChanger and set up the SimpleX theme and it's great. But I have a problem--it only works when the Finder is the application in the foreground (i.e. when I'm in Explorer the theme is restored to the Aqua default)...is this normal for ThemeChanger?

Thanks in advance...I'm new to this theming stuff and it looks awesome so far!
The world needs more Canada.
PB 12" 867 MHz, 640 MB RAM, AE, OS 10.4.2
Black iPod nano 4GB

solitere
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 28, 2002, 05:07 PM

solitere, for ThemeChanger you need to place your theme files inside the "UserName"/Library/Themes
folder instead of the syste mlibrary folder.
OK that helped! The creators of Themechanger should specify more exactly that it is in the "users//library/themes" the themes should be located. (I have read the readme file)

Phat Bastard
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 28, 2002, 05:44 PM

Please ignore my previous post. I just restarted my Mac and Themechanger works fine now. Sorry about that!!
The world needs more Canada.
PB 12" 867 MHz, 640 MB RAM, AE, OS 10.4.2
Black iPod nano 4GB

swiz  (op)
GUI Punk
Dec 28, 2002, 05:56 PM

Originally posted by Phat Bastard:
Please ignore my previous post. I just restarted my Mac and Themechanger works fine now. Sorry about that!!
Yeah, for future theme changes you should note that the theme will only apply to apps which you start after you change the theme. So it is always best to either logout or restart after applying a theme.

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 28, 2002, 07:25 PM

Damn, this theme is very, VERY NICE!! I absolutely love the color choice

Brien
Professional Poster
Dec 28, 2002, 08:58 PM

Originally posted by Adam Betts:
Damn, this theme is very, VERY NICE!! I absolutely love the color choice
I'm still waiting for orange.

swiz  (op)
GUI Punk
Dec 29, 2002, 02:11 AM

Originally posted by brien:
I'm still waiting for orange.
Im trying my man, Im currently wrapped up in a very extensive NeXT redo, then completing the Chosen OS port. After that I plan to release a few SimpleX color variants as well as some more SimpleX options such as flat titlebars due to mega requests.

Macanoid
Senior User
Dec 29, 2002, 01:17 PM

Im trying my man, Im currently wrapped up in a very extensive NeXT redo, then completing the Chosen OS port. After that I plan to release a few SimpleX color variants as well as some more SimpleX options such as flat titlebars due to mega requests.
I'm a big fan of you themes. Must admit that I can't wait to see what you can do with the ChosenOS theme.

Thank you for making the Mac experience an even more exciting one!

Zimphire
Baninated
Dec 29, 2002, 01:26 PM

I think a black version would be cool if you could change the text color.

Beer Penguin
Forum Regular
Dec 29, 2002, 01:37 PM

Either Duality or Themepark should have the ability to shift the color of the entire theme. It shouldn't be that hard to at least have windowblinds generate an image that represents the entire extras.rsrc, and then one could just pop that image into photoshop and change the theme color in a matter of seconds.
Dooby, dooby doo.

mrtew
Professional Poster
Dec 29, 2002, 01:51 PM

Boy, I thought I was the only one!

I love the U.S., but we need some time apart.

iamnotmad
Senior User
Dec 29, 2002, 03:04 PM

Hello, I installed this theme. It looks pretty nice. Thanks for making it.

I do have a question - the little arrow that usually appears and points to the menu when you rght click on an item in the dock has turned into a block. Is this part of the theme or unintentional?

Thanks for any info.

swiz  (op)
GUI Punk
Dec 30, 2002, 12:10 AM

Either Duality or Themepark should have the ability to shift the color of the entire theme. It shouldn't be that hard to at least have windowblinds generate an image that represents the entire extras.rsrc, and then one could just pop that image into photoshop and change the theme color in a matter of seconds.
That would be a VERY welcomed feature.

smeger
Mac Elite
Dec 30, 2002, 01:26 AM

This is a part of my long-range plans.
Geekspiff - generating spiffdiddlee software since before you began paying attention.

nycdunz
Senior User
Dec 30, 2002, 03:01 AM

hey swiz love the theme, i used text edit to change all those <10.2.3> tags to <10.2> etc and switched using duaity 4, but why are my ichat and other apps still brushed metal??? i selected the correct simpleX variation, and tried all of em, i still have ichat in brushed, i tried relogging in as well, help...

Dace
Mac Elite
Dec 30, 2002, 03:24 AM

Here's a small pic of my desktop using a modified SimpleX theme with a menubar that has depth. I wasn't too keen on the flat menu bar so I gave it depth.

nycdunz
Senior User
Dec 31, 2002, 07:25 PM

swiz i found something in your theme that you possibly left out, when using your theme with the brushed "SimpleXD" when your in a chatroom with people and you open the side drawer, that window still appears in brushed metal, just letting you know so can fix that...

swiz  (op)
GUI Punk
Dec 31, 2002, 07:28 PM

Originally posted by nycdunz:
swiz i found something in your theme that you possibly left out, when using your theme with the brushed "SimpleXD" when your in a chatroom with people and you open the side drawer, that window still appears in brushed metal, just letting you know so can fix that...

OK thanks, I'll look into it. I did just upload a new version which fixes the little menu triangle when you right click on the dock. Its good now.

swiz  (op)
GUI Punk
Mar 17, 2003, 03:34 AM

as2
Mac Elite
Mar 18, 2003, 04:05 PM

Is there a blue menu bar, blue brushed version?

Adam
[img=http://img192.imageshack.us/img192/1300/desktj.jpg]

swiz  (op)
GUI Punk
Mar 18, 2003, 04:17 PM

Originally posted by as2:
Is there a blue menu bar, blue brushed version?

Adam
Both of the Blue menu versions that say brushed in the names have those colors. The only differnce between those two is that one has gray menu backgrounds.

Kujo
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 18, 2003, 10:21 PM

SimpleX brushed is like this:

Swiz.. i only count 4? the update date hasnt changed either.. and i dont know what in the theme has..

swiz  (op)
GUI Punk
Mar 18, 2003, 11:33 PM

Originally posted by Kujo:
Swiz.. i only count 4? the update date hasnt changed either.. and i dont know what in the theme has..
There are actually only 4 variations. This thread is pretty old and I just wanted the SimpleX Safari Skin release to be announced in it. When I originally started the thread the new version had 6 variations but I condensed them. There are no new SimpleX theme updates yet. I'll fix the original post to reflect the 4 variations now.

mrbiiggy2
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 21, 2003, 08:01 PM

The thing that really annoys me about this theme is that the tabs behind the foremost tab look like they are in the front, while the foremost one looks like it's behind the rest... It's like they should be reversed..

Forum Links
Forum Rules