Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > GUI Customization > now that the new shapeshifter is out...

now that the new shapeshifter is out...
renn
Oct 26, 2004, 02:42 PM

Okay, the new ShapeShifter is amazing. I love it. But now to get back to business...BBX: It's out...how long before OMEGA?

This might be a futile question, but I had to ask it anyways...

Cheers

cube3
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 26, 2004, 02:46 PM

+1

wibs
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 26, 2004, 02:49 PM

Originally posted by renn:
Okay, the new ShapeShifter is amazing. I love it. But now to get back to business...BBX: It's out...how long before OMEGA?

This might be a futile question, but I had to ask it anyways...

Cheers

No, I don't have an answer for why I posted this image. Just like nobody has an answer for Omega.
DigitalRamen sucks.

digitaljames
Mac Elite
Oct 26, 2004, 02:49 PM

+1

eme
Oct 26, 2004, 02:58 PM

+1

fireside
Professional Poster
Oct 26, 2004, 02:59 PM

puppetswhokill
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 26, 2004, 02:59 PM

2.0 is really 1.3 not 1.5 so don't hold your shorts till 2.x

War is peace. Wrong is right. Up is down.
Death is life. Lies are truth.

dlanham
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 26, 2004, 03:00 PM

There was a post about this by bbx in one of the shapeshifter threads, not sure which it was though

Dave-o�
Senior User
Oct 26, 2004, 03:10 PM

Originally posted by digitaljames:
+1
What he said... Mr. 1003

Mighty_Mike_T
Oct 26, 2004, 03:38 PM

This is becoming a FAQ. Maybe it should be added as a sticky post, or added to the Announcements thread...

Oh, and +1 (my first).

rhythmicmoose
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 26, 2004, 04:35 PM

+1 in the NEVER ASK THAT QUESTION AGAIN, ANY OF YOU, AS LONG AS YOU LIVE thread.

codywalton
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 26, 2004, 05:47 PM

ambush
Banned
Oct 26, 2004, 05:55 PM

the Oracle was right. BBX pulled a BBX.

kwyjiboy
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 26, 2004, 07:40 PM

so funny.
Septuple post! Quadruple word score!

underwood
Forum Regular
Oct 26, 2004, 07:43 PM

Originally posted by ambush:
the Oracle was right. BBX pulled a BBX.

hahah, +1.

Sembazuru
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 26, 2004, 07:45 PM

+2!

Wait, what was that?

"It doesn't work that way"?

Well, I tried.

revmitcz
Oct 27, 2004, 03:26 AM

Unless they were just f'ing around, apparently the long-awaited Omega (and likely a pretty fitting metaphor, as I doubt BBX will ever theme again after this, considering how he's been treated in light of the topic he once started about it) is in near-final beta form.

Clicky clicky:

http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.p...0&pagenumber=2

bbxstudio
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 27, 2004, 06:15 PM

Here's the skinny:

SS 2.0 started life as SS 1.3, with the step up in version number due to its substantial feature boost. The feature(s) I was waiting on were slated for (in the original numbering system) SS 1.5 (don't ask me to explain the logic of the numbering system, I'm as confused as anybody)... which in the new scheme of things will be 2.X or maybe even 3.0, who knows?

In any case, it's about 90% done, just waiting for the implementation of the new SS2.0 stuff (which addresses some of the features I needed for Omega), some available time on my part (babies, screaming babies), and a possible hack or two to get some of my original features to show up in some reduced form (if possible, Jason and I will be looking into this shortly). I've also got some lucrative commercial opportunities I'd be insane to pass up on the go, so these are eating spare time as well.

I realize my credibility has taken a big hit with this one (although you'd think that a glimpse at some of the commercial work I've been doing since Omega was birthed would smoosh any doubts as to whether I could actually pull it off or not), but (again - I've said this a million times) I had every intention of releasing it with SS 1.0 back in December. Keep in mind that the SS 1.0 that was released was much more limited in its abilities than the original (speculative target) spec I designed Omega around. Being the rebel that I am I did introduce some effects that deviated from this spec somewhat - but Jason felt that implementing them would be no problem with a few hard-coding tricks directly to the Omega theme. Based on the assumption that my original design would be realized with SS 1.0, I fleshed out the theme and extras and got it all ready to go save the few elements requiring hard-coding, but by the time we got down to the wire reality set in and it became clear that SS 1.0 would be a simpler (but infinitely more realistic) beast than was originally planned (and that Jason would not have the time to spare on Omega required). Bottom line, I got f*cked. Not by myself, not by Jason, but by circumstance - there really was nothing to be done.

So here I was, hyping a theme up the ass (mostly to fuel the initial sales of ShapeShifter - get everybody pumped about it and the day it hits it turns out it actually does all this stuff dark themes couldn;t do before thanks to SS) - a theme that in the end I couldn't deliver for the SS launch (and believe me, it was not for lack of effort - by the time of launch I had invested 500+ hours into Omega). I felt fairly stupid, cheated, embarassed, you name it... it sucked.

But we were still confident that we could get on it and get it out in early 2004, so I apologized and we promised 'soon' with a bundled teaser. Unfortunately, I think (know) that fathering an app like SS proved more difficult initially (read life-consuming) than our friend Jason anticipated. So as time went on and we realized that Jason's time would be extremely limited, we agreed that the best route would be this: rather than hard-code this funky stuff into Omega, we'll incorporate it into SS and TP properly so that these effects are available to everybody - in this way both mine and Jason's valuable time would be much better spent. By this point my reputation was already shot anyways (despite my frantic apologies and explanations), so I stopped pressuring Jason and decided to wait patiently.

Which is where we are now... getting SS to where it needs to be incrementally and properly. But I'm as impatient as anybody - I can't wait to unveil this monstrosity - so we'll see what can be done about getting it out sooner rather than later. That's about all I can promise at this point. Sorry... I never intended for it to drag out this long.

[[ FWIW, I've got a handful of unfinished (and not so ambitious but still uber-cool) themes in the works... if I can, I'll try and get one of those out in the meantime if it looks like Omega's going to have to wait. What I could really use is a trustworthy, ego-less but highly technically skilled themer to help code and assemble designs. I love designing the things, I HATE building them... too much time with tedious bitchwork. ]]

Again, humble apologies with regards to Omega.

bluevertical
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 27, 2004, 06:24 PM

thanks for the headsup bbx.
appreciate it......
best of luck.
peace.
bv.
blueverticalstudio_ boston new york los angeles
www.blueverticalstudio.com
www.theblogproject.com

MacMan4000
Mac Elite
Oct 27, 2004, 06:26 PM

wow, I finally know the real story. i kept hearing it from a guy who heard from a dude who heard from his brother.... (I wasn't into GUI mods when this all happened).

I'd be glad to help out with the ThemePark stuff if you need it... and if I'm worthy.

Your Windows themes and WMP skins are un-frickin-belieavable BTW

If in fact I am worthy and you need to contact me, my AIM and email info is in my profile.

Komisar
Mac Elite
Oct 27, 2004, 06:28 PM

The man has finally spoken..... my respect for you just went up 100% ... all i ever wanted to hear was the real rreason take you time enjoy your real life and your baby

Cheers

fireside
Professional Poster
Oct 27, 2004, 06:30 PM

Originally posted by bbxstudio:
[[FWIW, I've got a handful of unfinished (and not so ambitious but still uber-cool) themes in the works... if I can, I'll try and get one of those out in the meantime if it looks like Omega's going to have to wait. What I could really use is a trustworthy, ego-less but highly technically skilled themer to help code and assemble designs. I love designing the things, I HATE building them... too much time with tedious bitchwork.]]
heh, i'm sure you could find plenty of people here that would kill to build your themes.

MacMan4000
Mac Elite
Oct 27, 2004, 06:32 PM

Originally posted by fireside:
heh, i'm sure you could find plenty of people here that would kill to build your themes.
I would... twice!

EDIT: I'm frantically trying to get on AIM, just in case I'm worthy but it keeps dropping the connection! is it only me or is AIM down?
( Last edited by MacMan4000; Oct 27, 2004 at 06:38 PM. )

fireside
Professional Poster
Oct 27, 2004, 06:40 PM

Originally posted by MacMan4000:
I would... twice!

EDIT: I'm frantically trying to get on AIM, just in case I'm worthy but it keeps dropping the connection! is it only me or is AIM down?
its you. (har har har). the AIM god must not want you to get in touch with BBX

MacMan4000
Mac Elite
Oct 27, 2004, 06:42 PM

its you. (har har har). the AIM god must not want you to get in touch with BBX
crap. I tried iChat, Proteus, Adium, and I even resorted to trying the official AIM app. they all drop the connection. It worked 30 minutes ago!
EDIT: OK i let iChat sit "connecting" for a few minutes and it finally connected.

fireside
Professional Poster
Oct 27, 2004, 06:44 PM

crap. I tried iChat, Proteus, Adium, and I even resorted to trying the official AIM app. they all drop the connection. It worked 30 minutes ago!
must be the aim god :/

Komisar
Mac Elite
Oct 27, 2004, 06:56 PM

must be the aim god :/
Indeed once he has spoken there is no other fat

fireside
Professional Poster
Oct 27, 2004, 07:12 PM

Originally posted by Komisar:
Indeed once he has spoken there is no other fat
yes. there is no other fat. besides fat fat. fat fat fat fat.

MacMan4000
Mac Elite
Oct 28, 2004, 02:46 PM

Looks like I'm not worthy...
Unless maybe BBX just doesn't check the forum everyday, like I do. He sounds busy, with kids I wouldn't doubt it.

FB Eye
Senior User
Oct 28, 2004, 03:19 PM

Anybody who's been hanging out here for a while knew the story behind the delayed Omega. I'm glad that BBX summed it up for everybody, it's all crystal clear now I hope. Now move along folks, on to other exciting things. I'm eagerly waiting for Omega too, but I can wait 'till it's all done and perfect. BBX, as I said before, take your time dude and don't let that theme get in the way of real life

Now the exciting part is that BBX is willing to let us have some cool stuff in the mean time, if he can team up with someone

Man, if I could theme like some of you can, I'd jump on that opportunity like crazy!!!

rhythmicmoose
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 28, 2004, 04:29 PM

[[ FWIW, I've got a handful of unfinished (and not so ambitious but still uber-cool) themes in the works... if I can, I'll try and get one of those out in the meantime if it looks like Omega's going to have to wait. What I could really use is a trustworthy, ego-less but highly technically skilled themer to help code and assemble designs. I love designing the things, I HATE building them... too much time with tedious bitchwork. ]]

Again, humble apologies with regards to Omega.
Let this whole situation be hereby known as "The Dangers Of Hype: Exhibit A."

Thanks for replying in this thread. I think you're owed an apology as well. On behalf of all the people who have called Omega vaporware, we're sorry.

As for something we can play with in the meantime, you could start be releasing the Omega iTunes Konfabulator widget.

Mike S.
Senior User
Oct 28, 2004, 04:53 PM

Originally posted by rhythmicmoose:
As for something we can play with in the meantime, you could start be releasing the Omega iTunes Konfabulator widget.
If he's taking suggestions (and I don't believe he is) my vote would go to Mirai, the highly anticipated theme before Omega became all the rage

Link
Professional Poster
Oct 28, 2004, 11:28 PM

Ironic it might be, think about this:

*Shapeshifter 2 came out
*It wasn't a paid upgrade when 1.5 was supposed to be.
*Because it isn't quite 1.5, omega still isn't out yet (ok, just kidding)... However, it's nearer done.
*Xtender is STILL vaporware.

Sorry, just summing stuff up
Aloha

ender2002
Senior User
Oct 28, 2004, 11:31 PM

anything bbx releases will be immediately and greatly appreciated. im sure id be free-basing an itunes konfab remote in a back ally if it were released. im really feeling the crave.

please
please
please.

FB Eye
Senior User
Oct 28, 2004, 11:38 PM

Originally posted by Mike S.:
If he's taking suggestions (and I don't believe he is) my vote would go to Mirai, the highly anticipated theme before Omega became all the rage
Yessss!!! Mirai, or formerly know as Miraikane... Yes yes yes, I want this one!!!

Vi0
Baninated
Oct 30, 2004, 10:22 AM

Omega will never--repeat **never**--see the light of day no matter what anyone says.

MetalSnake
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 30, 2004, 10:36 AM

Originally posted by Vi0:
Omega will never--repeat **never**--see the light of day no matter what anyone says.
That�s right, Themes have no eyes, so they can�t see anything

MacMan4000
Mac Elite
Oct 30, 2004, 10:38 AM

yes it will.

CreepingDeth
Professional Poster
Oct 30, 2004, 10:57 AM

What was that weird idea he was throwing around? It was supposed to be like washed out colors, almost hospital sterile, with some "fascist genetic engineering" thing. I could do a little sarcasm here about that description, but I digress.

I still want to know what's really missing for Omega. He said 1 or 2 things needed to get done, and I'm still clueless as to what it'd be.

darrick
Forum Regular
Oct 30, 2004, 11:23 AM

props to bbxstudio for the maturity of his post.

bbxstudio
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 30, 2004, 12:24 PM

Originally posted by CreepingDeath:
What was that weird idea he was throwing around? It was supposed to be like washed out colors, almost hospital sterile, with some "fascist genetic engineering" thing. I could do a little sarcasm here about that description, but I digress.
That's 'UTOPIA' (Japanese would be Yume, meaning dream)... it's essentially a realistic glossy lab white acrylic with all the supportive imagery geared around genetic engineering (specifically in perfecting human DNA, hinting at the creation of genetic purity - spooky futuristic bioengineering stuff). It was inspired by the Goldfrapp song 'Utopia' (listen to the song and you'll see why).

Like I said, I have a handful of designs sitting at various stages of refinement. I always start off with a 'seed', basically a surface and control study limited to very few elements. If that proves to be promising, I'll attempt to blow it out over a window. If I'm atill excited about it at that point I'll develop the name and identity/logo stuff (which helps keep me interested as I develop the concept further, because it all suddenly has a unified theme and personality). From there it all just falls into place. Right now 'Utopia' is sitting in between the identity and fleshing out stages, but I'd love to see it through someday.

I still want to know what's really missing for Omega. He said 1 or 2 things needed to get done, and I'm still clueless as to what it'd be.
Omega's mostly finished, but some very important unifying 'effects' that hold the design together are dependant on SS' ability to support them. Stuff that would really find its way into just about every theme from there on in, addressing (what I believe to be) major gaping possibility holes in the whole OSX theme thing. Jason feels the same way and basically knows how he's going to implement them, but it's not as dead-easy as we were led to believe. You'll see (eventually).

bbxstudio
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 30, 2004, 12:27 PM

Looks like I'm not worthy...
Unless maybe BBX just doesn't check the forum everyday, like I do. He sounds busy, with kids I wouldn't doubt it.
I got your message (and a ton of others) but I honestly haven't had 2 seconds to look into any partnering possibilities at this stage. I'll download some of the work you (and the others) have done and let you know when I get a chance

bbxstudio
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 30, 2004, 12:28 PM

Get a life--repeat--get a *life*.

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Oct 30, 2004, 02:05 PM

Omega's mostly finished, but some very important unifying 'effects' that hold the design together are dependant on SS' ability to support them. Stuff that would really find its way into just about every theme from there on in, addressing (what I believe to be) major gaping possibility holes in the whole OSX theme thing. Jason feels the same way and basically knows how he's going to implement them, but it's not as dead-easy as we were led to believe. You'll see (eventually).
Take it from an SS beta tester, though Jason has not yet implemented the needed features, I do know what they are going to be (sorry can't say anymore). It sure sounds to me that BBX isn't BSing anyone... (though I can't visualize what he's going to do with it yet...) and Jason sure as hell isn't BSing anyone. So the best thing to do is shut-up and show BBX your support and hope he finishes some other theme in the near future.
click one

MacMan4000
Mac Elite
Oct 30, 2004, 03:58 PM

I got your message (and a ton of others) but I honestly haven't had 2 seconds to look into any partnering possibilities at this stage. I'll download some of the work you (and the others) have done and let you know when I get a chance
I knew you were going to respond eventually. No rush, I understand. Real life always comes first. Congrats on the baby.

CreepingDeth
Professional Poster
Oct 30, 2004, 04:36 PM

"Utopia" sounds alot more usable than Omega, unless by some act of God�or long hours�someone can fix the damn text problems. Show me a black theme that I can use perfectly in Photoshop, and I'll be a believer.

The whole premise behind Utopia as you describe it reminds me of Perfect Dark. Anyone remember that game? It kicked ass�too bad it had framerate problems. Oh yeah, back to the reminding part. In the game, you go into Area 51. Once you get into the warehouse, you go up an open-air elevator to a dead end. Use the secondary fire of the Dragon near an "X," and it opens up this secret lab area with this really sterile look and some subtle blues. Like this and this and this and this last one. Maybe not as sterile as I remember, but if it looked even close to that, it'd kick ass. BTW, was this that white Omega someone was talking about?

And unlike Link, I haven't been a little bitch about this whole thing.
( Last edited by CreepingDeth; Oct 30, 2004 at 05:22 PM. )

MacMan4000
Mac Elite
Oct 30, 2004, 05:02 PM

"Utopia" sounds alot more usable than BBX...
BBX is a person's nickname, not a theme. I think you mean "Omega".

CreepingDeth
Professional Poster
Oct 30, 2004, 05:22 PM

BBX is a person's nickname, not a theme. I think you mean "Omega".
Are you a lawyer or something.
Edited.

Forum Links
Forum Rules