Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Developer Center > Google ranking duplicate content (Permalink Structure)

Google ranking duplicate content (Permalink Structure)
duoikari
Forum Regular
May 2, 2013, 02:53 PM

Not sure if I've put this in the right forum but here we go.

I am working with an e-commence site as a designer and I'm also doing to digital marketing.

I have recently been updating all the data for the website and I had a thought, all of our URL for the products are the pretty much the same and I have been reading that this doubles as 'Duplicate content' which means our ranking will go down in search engines.

I've read into this and think I have found a solution, if I customize each url link does this then count as Duplicate content data? or will google still pick up on the product description which is within the page?

andi*pandi
May 2, 2013, 09:04 PM

Hi, I moved this since it seems like more of a developer question than an ethernet question.

What platform are you using to create the site? If you are using wordpress, you can set up custom permalinks that use the page titles as urls. You don't want to use page ID numbers for instance.

There are also plugins that help with SEO.

duoikari  (op)
Forum Regular
May 3, 2013, 05:24 AM

Currently using kentico as a cms system with no access to the code and we get a web company to make major coding changes for us. But when we are writing product description on the pages which are all very similar as they are a similar product. Like Fruit/green or Fruit/blue type thing.

I can customise each URL very easy but I worried that google will still pick up the fact that we the same word about 5-8 in a product's page and we do this about 100 times.

Forum Links
Forum Rules