Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Skype calls with iPhone on 3G network (not wifi!)

Skype calls with iPhone on 3G network (not wifi!)
Simon
Posting Junkie
Jul 23, 2009, 04:28 AM

Just a quick heads-up if you've been wanting to make calls with Skype on your iPhone when wifi isn't available.

If you tether your Mac to the iPhone, Skype on the Mac works just fine over 3G.

If you have a second iPhone (or another person with an iPhone) you can set your tethered Mac to share its internet connection via wifi. Connect the other iPhones to that ad-hoc wifi network. On those iPhones Skype will allow calls too since it sees a wifi and not the 3G connection the wifi is tethered to.

Call quality was excellent. I experienced no problems at all while I was trying this.

moep
Senior User
Jul 23, 2009, 05:47 AM

Sounds quite inconvenient, but interesting idea nonetheless.

I have VOIPover3g (recently replaced it with 3Gunrestrictor) on my iPhone. Both available in Cydia — of course only if you don’t mind jailbreaking. 3Gunrestrictor also removes the size limits in the iTunes and App store and restores full quality in Youtube on 3G. Quite nifty.
( Last edited by moep; Jul 23, 2009 at 08:12 AM. )
"The road to success is dotted with the most tempting parking spaces."

Simon  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jul 23, 2009, 07:45 AM

Originally Posted by moep View Post
Sounds quite inconvenient, but interesting idea nonetheless.
It's definitely inconvenient if you want to talk into a 'phone' while walking around.

OTOH, if you're sitting in a coffeehouse or you're on a train and you have your tethered notebook out anyway, it's quite nice actually. Unibodies support mic in through the headphone port so you just plug your usual iPhone headset into the headphone port of your MBP and you're good to go.

Phileas
Mac Elite
Jul 23, 2009, 08:46 AM

Yes, that's very cool. My business partner and I were driving to a meeting - she was the one driving - while I made a video Skype call to a client in Seattle, from my tethered MacBook. He could not believe it when I told him we were on the highway.

Forum Links
Forum Rules