Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > World of Warcraft availability

World of Warcraft availability
Lizard7
Jan 7, 2005, 02:19 AM

Anyone found this game in stock lately? Supplies seemed to have dried up over the past several days. I saw a copy on ebay going for over $100!

juanvaldes
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 7, 2005, 04:21 AM

These is not a single copy left in the CA central valley I swear.
The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions, that I wish it always to be kept alive.
- Thomas Jefferson, 1787

solbo
Jan 7, 2005, 10:44 AM

I drove to at least 8 stores last night. I finally found one copy misplaced at Target.

servo
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 7, 2005, 10:59 AM

I got mine during the day on new Years Eve at a Best Buy. I had called around to probably 10 stores and none had it. I was running a couple errands and decided to stop at Best Buy. They were out of course. As I was leaving I asked an employee an he had just put a copy someone returned back on the shelf. He grabbed it for me and I got mine.
I'm pretty sure I got the last copy in Madison, WI.

lookmark
Mac Elite
Jan 7, 2005, 11:32 AM

Anyone know, is Blizzard purposely not restocking shelves, because they're trying to keep the servers under control...? Or is it just selling out so fast they're not keeping up to date?

Seems like they'd want to have a steady influx of new players, for game balance -- to say the least.

Edit. Wow (no pun intended). Ship date of March at the Apple Store. Bliz must be planning a complete revamp of their servers or something.
( Last edited by lookmark; Jan 7, 2005 at 11:41 AM. )

jpg71
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 7, 2005, 11:43 AM

Got two copies two days ago from Bestbuy.com but with in-store pickup option. (Long Island area).

Might want to check their website to see if any stores in your area have em in stock and just pay for it online with the in-store pickup option.

a2daj
Mac Elite
Jan 7, 2005, 12:40 PM

My brother finally picked up a copy and the only place he could find one was from a local Apple Store. He bought one of two copies left.

itai195
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 7, 2005, 01:34 PM

Weird. I remember when it came out it seemed like there were tons of copies available. EBGames.com doesn't even seem to let me order a copy of WoW anymore, so I wonder what's going on. Maybe they're restocking with patched versions.

SteevAK
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 8, 2005, 01:29 PM

Seattle, Portland, and Salem (OR) are all dry. Stores don't even have promotional material up for it. It's like it never even existed.

A friend told me yesterday that a local Best Buy had it. I called them to double check before I spent 45 minutes driving. They had received 10 copies, but they sold out within a half hour.

It's frustrating because I had planned on spending the last half of Christmas Break playing the game. Now I will be even lucky to find it before I start classes again.
#macnn: where all the real action is at.

SteevAK
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 8, 2005, 03:18 PM

Okay, so I lied. I found a Best Buy with a copy. The sales guy told me that they've stopped printing CDs becuase they're trying to get the servers at a more manageable load, which would explain why there is only a small trickle of boxes hitting stores. This Best Buy had only 5 copies and all of them had names on them. I guess the best thing to do would be to check Best Buy's website for in-store availability.
#macnn: where all the real action is at.

nuggetman
Forum Regular
Jan 8, 2005, 04:42 PM

my local bestbuy (brick, NJ) just got a bunch in

greenamp
Mac Elite
Jan 8, 2005, 09:35 PM

I read a post from a CM on the WoW forums a while back which stated that Blizzard is not currently restocking supplies of the game. The reason given was something along the lines of "ensuring that current and new players can achieve the best possible gaming experience."

Basically, I suppose that means the game infrustructure is maxed out, and further expansion in that area is going to be taken carefully, which is probably not a bad idea.

rbarris
Blizzard Staff
Jan 8, 2005, 10:20 PM

Originally posted by greenamp:
I read a post from a CM on the WoW forums a while back which stated that Blizzard is not currently restocking supplies of the game. The reason given was something along the lines of "ensuring that current and new players can achieve the best possible gaming experience."

Basically, I suppose that means the game infrustructure is maxed out, and further expansion in that area is going to be taken carefully, which is probably not a bad idea.
WoW has been #1 on the Amazon.com "PC Games" sales list for some days or weeks now; I assume this means they have copies to sell. If you run out of local shops to check out, I would give them a shot.

Lizard7  (op)
Jan 9, 2005, 03:56 AM

I finally got a copy at my local Best Buy today after they restocked!

videian28
Mac Elite
Jan 10, 2005, 12:33 PM

blizz has stated on thier forums that they are not realeasing any more copies till they get some issues under control

and they do have some serious issues at the moment

gbafan
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 10, 2005, 01:53 PM

Originally posted by greenamp:

Yes, I read the same thing. Good idea as well as some servers are horribly over loaded.
MacBook Pro

Arkham_c
Mac Elite
Jan 10, 2005, 02:10 PM

Yeah, be careful which server you use.

Overall our server (Whisperwind) is not too bad, but in Ironforge the mailboxes and auction house are painfully slow. I hope they address it soon.
Mac Pro 2x 2.66 GHz Dual core, Apple TV 160GB, two Windows XP PCs

Skip Breakfast
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 10, 2005, 05:46 PM

We've had our most recent shipment shoplifted, unfortunately.
PowerMac G4 Gigabit 1.2GHz, 896MB, 2x 80GB WD SE, Pioneer 107, Radeon 9000 Pro 128MB

Macintosh TV

itai195
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 10, 2005, 09:08 PM

Originally posted by Arkham_c:
Overall our server (Whisperwind) is not too bad, but in Ironforge the mailboxes and auction house are painfully slow. I hope they address it soon.
I'm on a low pop west coast server (Bonechewer) and even my east coast friends always getting a very good ping. Downside is that we're always the last to come back up when there's downtime.

Webscreamer
Mac Elite
Jan 10, 2005, 09:18 PM

Chicago's Michigan Ave Apple Store always has them in stock when I step in.
Anyone who would letterspace blackletter would steal sheep. - Frederic Goudy

greenamp
Mac Elite
Jan 10, 2005, 11:57 PM

I'm on Warsong, which is somewhere in the top 3 for most populated servers across the board

solbo
Jan 11, 2005, 10:10 AM

They released a press release about how well it sold over the holidays. Stating that they are bringing new servers online before they restock.

I always have WoW Status running and just from my casual observation it looks like only about 1/4 of the servers are constantly red (high population). The server I am on is usually yellow, sometimes green, and it runs fine almost all of the time. Although there was a raid the other day and it lagged one whole continent. Why it would lag the whole continent I have no idea.

Basically they would probably be better off now if they had limited population of a server to reasonable amount. That would probably have spread the load out better initially. Now I imagine the biggest problem would be getting people off one server and onto another even if they were allowed to move.

Forum Links
Forum Rules