Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Help me decide. !2" or 15"

Help me decide. !2" or 15"
eScrib
Forum Regular
Sep 16, 2003, 11:42 AM

I'm been toying with this for some time and now with the revisions out, I think I'm gonna replace my ailing Pismo.

My need for a laptop are:

Web
iTunes, iMovie
Coding
Word, Excel

Is the 12" enough? It's the screen size I'm most concerned about. With the addition of the L2 cache, this makes it more attractive. I don't need the backlit keyboard, and FW800 isn't a priority either.

but going from a 14" screen to a 12" screen. Will that really be that big of a deal???

Need opinions and comments.

Thanks!

AssassyN
Professional Poster
Sep 16, 2003, 11:45 AM

I think the 12" PB will more the suffice for your needs; and with these new 12" PBs, they have a DVI/VGA/S-Video out so you can connect it to any external display, even Apple's own displays via a DVI-to-ADC Adapter.

The resolution in your Pismo and the 12" PB are the same I believe, so you'll have the same amount of pixel real estate either way. I love my 12" PB and don't find the screen too small for typical portable tasks; if it does get too cramped, just plug in an external monitor and you're good to go!
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

eScrib  (op)
Forum Regular
Sep 16, 2003, 12:00 PM

Originally posted by AssassyN:
I think the 12" PB will more the suffice for your needs; and with these new 12" PBs, they have a DVI/VGA/S-Video out so you can connect it to any external display, even Apple's own displays via a DVI-to-ADC Adapter.

The resolution in your Pismo and the 12" PB are the same I believe, so you'll have the same amount of pixel real estate either way. I love my 12" PB and don't find the screen too small for typical portable tasks; if it does get too cramped, just plug in an external monitor and you're good to go!
Excellent...

Now the only debate is to SuperDrive it or not?

Oh and any idea when the new 12" PBs will ship?

Cop Rock
Sep 16, 2003, 12:00 PM

Originally posted by eScrib:
Is the 12" enough? It's the screen size I'm most concerned about. With the addition of the L2 cache, this makes it more attractive. I don't need the backlit keyboard, and FW800 isn't a priority either.

but going from a 14" screen to a 12" screen. Will that really be that big of a deal???
You're going from 14" to 12" but the resolution is the same (1024x768). I loved the 12" 1024x768 screen on my old iBook, but I'm leaning towards the 15" Powerbook for the extra screen real estate (and speed).

I created a little image to show the difference in screen resolutions to help me decide between 15" and 12" (it's half the actual size):
http://www.visi.com/~lazlo/gallery/P...splaysHalf.gif

eScrib  (op)
Forum Regular
Sep 16, 2003, 12:04 PM

Originally posted by Cop Rock:
You're going from 14" to 12" but the resolution is the same (1024x768). I loved the 12" 1024x768 screen on my old iBook, but I'm leaning towards the 15" Powerbook for the extra screen real estate (and speed).

I created a little image to show the difference in screen resolutions to help me decide between 15" and 12" (it's half the actual size):
http://www.visi.com/~lazlo/gallery/P...splaysHalf.gif
Thanks...

Speed isn't really an issue for me since I'd only be looking at the 1GHZ 15" model also. So I'd expect the 12" and 15" to be about the same in terms of speed??? Even though the RAM is a bit slower in the 12"?

AssassyN
Professional Poster
Sep 16, 2003, 12:08 PM

The 12" PBs should ship within 1-2 weeks from now...it's actually showing 5-7 days on stock models.

I would personally NOT SuperDrive...I just don't see a DVD burner on a laptop that practical, I'd get one on my desktop machine where you'd do most of your DVD editing to begin with. The only reason I'd see to get a SuperDrive in the 12" PB is if it IS your desktop machine by connecting it to an external monitor. It's a $200 difference, so make sure you'd make use of it.

The 12" and 15" 1Ghz will be neck & neck in terms of speed; the 15" has a better video card, however the 12" video card isn't *terrible* and will run most current games fairly well...the DDR RAM speed is really inconsequential as even the 15" AlBook can't *truly* take advantage of the DDR because of the 167Mhz front side bus.
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

eScrib  (op)
Forum Regular
Sep 16, 2003, 12:13 PM

Thanks for the quick replies.

Since my 32-year old sister has decide to venture back to school and become a shark... errr... a lawyer, I'll probably have her order me the 'book and save me a few bucks. The 12" is certainly attractive at the educational price, $1399. Throw in a AE card and add some RAM myself and I'm looking to get one sweeeeeeeeeet deal.

That is unless someone else can talk me out of getting a 12".

AssassyN
Professional Poster
Sep 16, 2003, 12:15 PM

Ahh, very nice...EDU prices are terrific, except you'll end up paying sales tax, but if it still saves you in the end, good deal.

Make sure to check out www.dealram.com for the lowest prices on RAM...they haven't updated their site yet, but it's listed under the 17" PB RAM (PC2700/DDR333).
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

eScrib  (op)
Forum Regular
Sep 16, 2003, 12:18 PM

Ahh, very nice...EDU prices are terrific, except you'll end up paying sales tax, but if it still saves you in the end, good deal.
I would think I'd come out ahead??? Figure $1550 for a 12" with a 60gig HD and AE card? At 6% Indiana tax, that'll be about $1643 shipped.

Would I be able to do better? I'd like to get the larger drive.

Agent69
Mac Elite
Sep 16, 2003, 12:33 PM

I am considering a Powerbook (haven't decided for sure yet) but if I do get one, it will probably be the 15". My current computer is an eMac running at 1152x864 and I couldn't imagine going down to a 1024x768 resolution.
Agent69

AssassyN
Professional Poster
Sep 16, 2003, 12:50 PM

I would think I'd come out ahead??? Figure $1550 for a 12" with a 60gig HD and AE card? At 6% Indiana tax, that'll be about $1643 shipped.

Would I be able to do better? I'd like to get the larger drive.
Well your sales tax is pretty low; the only other option is to pay non-EDU price from a Mac reseller like www.macmall.com or www.macconnection.com and get no tax. Just figure it both ways and get whichever is cheaper in the end.
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

Clarkey
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 16, 2003, 01:11 PM

I was having the same kind of "problem" before today's PowerBook upgrades:

http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.p...hreadid=175764

Personally, I think the 12" screen size will be just fine for a lot of people, even though most don't know it. But if you don't need that extra level of portability, and you do have a few extra dollars on hand, then move up.

After looking over the differences in the new 12"/15" models, for my needs (e.g. I don't do a lot of travelling) I'm going with the bigger of the bunch. Deal killers? A much better video card, the PC card slot, and a bigger screen. Pallets, pallets, pallets!

And to take this one step further, I'm going with the SuperDrive model, stripping away the DVD-R drive, downgrading the hard disk (while still getting the AE card/backlit display) and at a very small charge, Apple will upgrade the G4 by 25%. This is the hidden gem in the current pricing scheme, IMHO.

Codefinity
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 16, 2003, 01:12 PM

The 12" will be good enough. Me, I want the 15".
The Internet is one crazy dimension.

eScrib  (op)
Forum Regular
Sep 16, 2003, 09:11 PM

More opinions please!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm ready to pull the trigger.

AssassyN
Professional Poster
Sep 16, 2003, 09:59 PM

I sent you a Private Message
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

LeeG
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 16, 2003, 10:31 PM

My signature is my vote
iPhone 3G 16Gb
24" 2.8Ghz Core 2 Duo iMac, 4GB/320GB/256MB
12" AlBook 1Ghz/768Mb/80Gb/Combo/AX

schk
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 16, 2003, 10:41 PM

Like others have said, the 12" should suit you fine. I'm pretty much using mine for the same reasons as you are, but I also do graphic design which could benefit from a larger screen. However, I'll be primarily using this laptop in grad school. I've come from a maxed out 15" TiBook and the extra screen space was sweet. But I was using that as a desktop replacement at the time and I decided I would rather have a much more powerful desktop and get a laptop that was more portable. The money saved from choosing the 12" versus 15" will go towards purchasing a dual 2ghz g5 and a larger than 20" LCD

JerryB
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 16, 2003, 11:02 PM

I have not seen anyone mention the screen on the 15�.

From the Apple site.

�Fully loaded with a 1.25GHz PowerPC G4, 512K of L2 cache, AirPort Extreme Card, megawide display�

�Work and play in millions of colors on a stunning 15.2-inch (diagonal) widescreen display with 1280-by-854-pixel resolution that�s ideal for watching movies in their original wide-screen format.�

I�m also thinking of waiting on Panther to be released.

ARGGGGGHHH���still like the 12.

cc_foo
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 16, 2003, 11:28 PM

I was definitely going to get a 12".

And then, I realised these:
1. That the new 12" isn't much of an upgrade from the previous 12", in terms of speed. Well, maybe real-world testing will reveal it is, but on paper, no.

2. 12" will ship later, while the 15" is available now.

3. That when configured "equivalently", i.e. with same size HD (80GB), same size RAM (512MB), SuperDrive, Airport Extreme; the 12" was only A$800 cheaper than the 15". The 12" seems a little overpriced to me.

So I have gone for a 15" instead. My concern is that it'll be too big. But the extra screen space will be nice to have. As well as the 2x SuperDrive.

If I'm not happy with the 15", I will probably wait for the iBooks to have some decent speed, and buy one of those. Or wait for the PowerBook 12" to have a price cut.

nobitacu
Mac Elite
Sep 17, 2003, 12:40 AM

For the types of needs you need, I think the 12inch will best suit you for your computer needs.

Ming
A Proud Mac User Since: 03/24/03
Apple Computer: MacBook 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 3 GB Memory, 120 GB HD

mmurray
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 17, 2003, 03:03 AM

Looking at the spec's the Superdrive will burn CD's only at 16 times versus 24 times for the combo drive. As I burn CD's on my latop a lot but would rarely, if ever, use a Superdrive and have one on my desktop machine anyway that counts it out for me.

As for the 12" I think it fits in my bike panniers better!

Michael

neill
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 17, 2003, 10:43 AM

I'm one of those patient macheads that 've been waiting to get a 12" since january. And now when i've got the money to buy a rev. B (new processor, new graphics, DVI-out, USB 2) I go off and order a 15" albook instead. Life sure is strange. I just couldn't resist the widescreen, 64 MB ATI graphics and 60 gig hard drive, so much more value for little extra money.

BUT - If I had needed a superdrive or if portability was more af a matter; then I�d chosen the 12". It took some thinking to make the choice but it's not like any of the alternatives is bad... You just have to choose what's right for you. Then you'll have to wait - Swedish applestore claims "build time 6-8 days".

AssassyN
Professional Poster
Sep 17, 2003, 11:17 AM

Originally posted by cc_foo:

1. That the new 12" isn't much of an upgrade from the previous 12", in terms of speed. Well, maybe real-world testing will reveal it is, but on paper, no.

2. 12" will ship later, while the 15" is available now.

3. That when configured "equivalently", i.e. with same size HD (80GB), same size RAM (512MB), SuperDrive, Airport Extreme; the 12" was only A$800 cheaper than the 15". The 12" seems a little overpriced to me.

So I have gone for a 15" instead. My concern is that it'll be too big. But the extra screen space will be nice to have. As well as the 2x SuperDrive.

If I'm not happy with the 15", I will probably wait for the iBooks to have some decent speed, and buy one of those. Or wait for the PowerBook 12" to have a price cut.
I have to totally disagree with this. I think the 12" received the nicest feature upgrades...HUGE hard drive for such a little machine, respectable speed boost, and I mean c'mon, it's now got DVI-out, what more could it have? You can plug it into your Cinema Display! And *only* $800* less? Whoa, I don't think I've ever seen the word *only* more misused...$800 is a lot man!
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

eScrib  (op)
Forum Regular
Sep 17, 2003, 11:27 AM

Leaning.... towards... 12... inch...

TiUser
Sep 17, 2003, 12:23 PM

Well, I have been waiting to buy a Rev. B 12" to replace my Ti 400 for the past six months. When the new powerbooks were announced yesterday, I couldn't decide between the new 12" or the Al 15". The 15" looks beautiful, not to mention the specs. I decided to visit my local Apple store this morning. I looked at the 12" (Rev. A) and the new 15" side by side and just can't believe how much larger the 15" is. For me, I take my PB to the office everyday, the 15" is just too massive to handle as a day-to-day portable. I don't mind the weight at all. I easily carry 10-plus lbs in my bag. So I will order a 12" superdrive model soon. I can always upgrade to the 15" G5 in two years.

Cop Rock
Sep 17, 2003, 02:35 PM

Originally posted by cc_foo:

The 867MHz to 1GHz leap initially doesn't seem like much, but the 256K L2 cache to 512K L2 cache leap is significant. (Remember, the 12" model never had L3 cache.) Combine that with the mini-DVI out and the memory change (I couldn't bear the idea of paying for a 128MB dimm that would just get junked the minute I got the machine home, 256 on the motherboard makes a lot more sense) and you have a substantial update.

That said, I'm currently leaning towards a 15" for the larger screen, larger drive, faster video, faster processor, included Airport Extreme, PC Card slot and illuminated keyboard. I'm going to swing by the Apple Store at the MoA tonight to see one in person. If I think I can deal with the size (I really liked the size of my old iBook) I'll hopefully be placing the order tomorrow and may have it by Friday.

Cop Rock
Sep 17, 2003, 03:39 PM

2 more issues that I don't think were previously mentioned:

1. The 15" Titanium Powerbook batteries were hot swappable (You could put the machine to sleep then take out the battery and put in a new one and wake it up, no problem.) The 12" Powerbooks did not have that feature so you had to shut down then swap batteries then reboot. I haven't seen if the new 15" models have this feature or not.

2. The new 12" Powerbooks have a longer battery life than the 15" Powerbooks (12" 47 watt-hour or approx 5 hours run time, 15" 46 watt-hour or approx 4.5 hours run time.)

all2ofme
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 17, 2003, 06:44 PM

I agree with AssassyN on this one, on everything apart from $800 being a lot. It's not as much when you consider the absolute price of the machine in pacific pesos (Australian or NZ$).

However, I'd spend the extra, I think - if I knew that I wouldn't be plugged into another screen more than half the time.

Hmmm, decisions.

I have to totally disagree with this. I think the 12" received the nicest feature upgrades...HUGE hard drive for such a little machine, respectable speed boost, and I mean c'mon, it's now got DVI-out, what more could it have? You can plug it into your Cinema Display! And *only* $800* less? Whoa, I don't think I've ever seen the word *only* more misused...$800 is a lot man!

Cop Rock
Sep 17, 2003, 11:35 PM

Originally posted by Cop Rock:
1. The 15" Titanium Powerbook batteries were hot swappable (You could put the machine to sleep then take out the battery and put in a new one and wake it up, no problem.) The 12" Powerbooks did not have that feature so you had to shut down then swap batteries then reboot. I haven't seen if the new 15" models have this feature or not.
I dropped by the Apple Store tonight and confirmed that the new 15" Powerbooks have hot swappable batteries. (The employees I talked to weren't aware that the Titanium or Aluminum 15" Powerbooks had hot-swappable batteries. A little experimentation showed them that it worked.)

Luca Rescigno
Professional Poster
Sep 18, 2003, 01:13 AM

Personally, I'd take a 15" Titanium over a 12" Aluminium, even if they were equally priced (therefore being something like a 15" 800 MHz vs. 12" 1 GHz). But that's just me.

"That's Mama Luigi to you, Mario!" *wheeze*

Sandbaggins
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 18, 2003, 01:29 AM

I'd go for the 15" Al over the Rev B 12". I am seriously considering selling my rev A 12 in order to get a 15". Whenever I "consider" these type of things its only a matter of time before I cave in
15" 1.25/512/80/5400/SD/AE Aluminum Powerbook

SOLIDAge
Mac Elite
Sep 18, 2003, 02:31 AM

Leaning.... towards... 12... inch...

I went from a 15" Ti to a 12" PB 867.

I dont' really miss the Ti's screen and let me tell you, the 867 is MOREEE then fast enough for surfing, browsing, and emailing...hell my PB is faster then my 800Mhz iMac! i do alot of Photoshop work on my PB and its great! it'll be perfect for you! the small size, and the flexibility to run programs like Word, Exel and maybe even Photoshop and Final Cut.

eScrib  (op)
Forum Regular
Sep 18, 2003, 08:45 AM

I ended up getting the 12".

I took a trip down to the local Apple store here on Michigan Ave. in Chicago and compared the 12" and 15" side-by-side.

Both are AWESOME machines, but when it came down to it, the 12" has everything I need, in such a small package.

I can't wait to get it!!!

iomatic
Mac Elite
Sep 18, 2003, 11:33 AM

i'd been hemming and hawing also (what the HELL does that mean), and ordered the 12" from Apple. 1GHz! I'm excited! For me, I would've maxed out the 15 in small ways (1 stick RAM, 5400rpm drive) which would've brought the comparable price $1000 more than the 12".

I'd rather apply that money toward the stock market, save it, or otherwise. I have an iBook (bye!) and it's a GREAT form factor; it had previously replaced a 15", and there was no loss to me. Portability far outweighed slightly more screen real estate.

US$.02

Forum Links
Forum Rules