Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Battery Change in 4400(4.5V alkaline)

Battery Change in 4400(4.5V alkaline)
ajtpolo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 6, 2000, 02:23 PM

Okay, I am trying to help a friend with his old mac before I head off to college. I believe it to have a plethora of problems, one of which I'm sure is the clock battery is failing. First off, does anyone know of a utility that can check the battery's strength? OR do I just go in with the trusty multi-meter?

Also, This particular machines was one of the dumb ones that used that 4.5V alkaline battery - and they put it in a very difficult place to reach. Does anyone know how (or just have suggestions on how) I can replace this battery without nearly dismantling the entire machine?

Thanks for your help.

-ajtpolo

amacwizard
Aug 7, 2000, 11:41 AM

YES you can use a multimeter-IF you can reach it.

Unfortunately, this model is one of those that is a real pain to work on. You have to take the carrier arm off as well as the PCI adapter board and both the CD-ROM and the floppy drive off. The battery is under the CDROM.

Be careful of static and bring it to someone who knows what they are doing if you are new to this.

ajtpolo  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 7, 2000, 03:07 PM

I should be al right with all that. I've been doing this kind of stuff since I was just a tot. Heck, I've even worked on CRTs. But.... I'm just frustrated that Apple chose such an incredibly poor design for this machine. I'm used to my 7200 which in my opinion is one of the most beautiful pieces of Apple design up until the G4 minitower. I just hoped there was a better way to get at the battery that I didn't know about. Thanks.

-ajtpolo

SpinyNorman
Aug 7, 2000, 07:39 PM

A pain, yes, but do it once and you can field-strip this sucker AND reassemble it in about five minutes. Looks much worse than it is.

MacOS761
Senior User
Aug 8, 2000, 03:59 PM

Order a new battery ASAP! I needed two (for my 5200 and my Performa 630CD) recently, so I went to RadioShack - bad idea, right? It took about a month for the batteries to arrive. They work fine, but what a pain! I had other things I was doing to the computers, but I had to open them up again later for the battery replacement. Gr..

------------------
We're supposed to sing about piraty things!
<a href="http://www.macronyms.com" target="_blank"> </a>
kelsevinal: i am impervious to your "nerd" attacks

Forum Links
Forum Rules