Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > PowerBook 1400 Password Problem

PowerBook 1400 Password Problem
agentz
Mac Elite
Oct 18, 2001, 08:07 AM

Hi
Not entirely sure if this should go here or in the PowerBook forum, but...
I found my old PowerBook 1400c/117 in a cupboard last week while having a clear out and I decided to fire it up for old times sake....

Except that I've put a friggin password on it, and guess who can't remember what it is!!! It was the standard PowerBook Security control panel that was used to set it up.

I should be able to boot from a System CD right? And then see whats on the drive? Should I then be able to disable the boot password?

The reason I don't sound totally convinced is that I'm not 100% that my CD Rom drive is still working. It wasn't booting from an OS8 CD but I'm not sure if thats cos of the password or a problem with the CD drive.

Any help greatly appreciated
MI5 doesn't do evil. Just treachery, treason and armageddon.

Walter J. Ferstl
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 3, 2001, 12:59 PM

Originally posted by agentz:
<STRONG>Hi
Not entirely sure if this should go here or in the PowerBook forum, but...
I found my old PowerBook 1400c/117 in a cupboard last week while having a clear out and I decided to fire it up for old times sake....

Except that I've put a friggin password on it, and guess who can't remember what it is!!! It was the standard PowerBook Security control panel that was used to set it up.

I should be able to boot from a System CD right? And then see whats on the drive? Should I then be able to disable the boot password?

Any help greatly appreciated</STRONG>
If the CD drive is working, you should be able to boot from a System CD. But remember, it should be a PowerBook System CD. The early PowerBook 1400s like yours have been supplied with either 7.5.5 or 7.6, I think.

Make sure that you boot with the shift key held down (extensions and control panels off), so that you could locate the preferences file of this security control panel afterwards and put it into the trash.

To boot from a CD instead of the built-in hard drive, hold down the c key at startup. If this works, you would probably not need to hold the shift key down.

Regards,

Walter.

[ 11-03-2001: Message edited by: Walter J. Ferstl ]

rjenkinson
Professional Poster
Nov 3, 2001, 01:06 PM

you might also try putting the powerbook into SCSI disk mode and connecting it to another mac with a SCSI port. once the hard drive is mounted, delete the security software.

-r.

[ 11-03-2001: Message edited by: rjenkinson ]

Forum Links
Forum Rules