Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > norton systemworks system folder

norton systemworks system folder
alai
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 15, 2000, 09:07 PM

i have just received my copy of systemworks and before installing, i went through the system folder on the cd.

to my surprise, i have found several of the extension to be newer versions that dont seem to be available as updates....

these include audio extension 1.1, apple enet 2.41, firewire enabler/support 2.6, hid lib 1.45, internet config 2.06, ot 2.63 and usb device 1.45....

they are all newer versions than mine which are sys 9.04 plus any updates i find.... is it my sys thats not updated or are these really newer versions, and why are they not on version tracker for d/l ?

Gregory
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 18, 2000, 06:45 PM

Maybe some of the newest G4/Cube have a later set; Mac OS 9.1fc is delayed but a lot of updates are due. OS X installs OT 2.7.1 (but also uses 2.6.1 OT ASLM.

9.1 is due now delayed Jan MWSF probably - why release it when you can announce it to the faithful? - which at one point was suppose to include OpenTransport 3.0 (Multilink PPP for one thing).

I just wish Apple would get the bugs out, not pull people off 9.1/9.5, as I read a rumor it wasn't as stable as hoped (and even when they say it is, it isn't). That, and that the next update to OS X requires 9.1 for Classic environment instead of just 9.0.4 - forcing an update, and maybe meaning that either OS X final will come with a big price tag and/or buying two system OSs.

I noted on Amazon that Bob Levitus "Mac OS X for Dummies" now has March 8, 2001 release date. Originally had late Sept 2000 date (when X was also rumored to be available at that point). So maybe Amazon or Bob knows something we don't.

Backup, try them on a separate or your working system folder, shouldn't hurt. You could run Conflict Catcher to compare two system folders for changes.

Gregory

Forum Links
Forum Rules