Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > time capsule just as a hard drive

time capsule just as a hard drive
ste6
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 5, 2008, 09:55 AM

Hi All,
I have a time capsule that I must take of the network (not allowed at my institution, security risk). I still need it to function as a hard drive back up system. Is this possible? Will it still use time machine to back up data? What type of connection is necessary?
Thanks!

hwojtek
Forum Regular
Nov 5, 2008, 10:01 AM

Disable the WiFi and hook it up directly to your Mac using Ethernet.
Wojtek

All Macs still running: iMac G3 Trayloader 333MHz, iMac G3 350 MHz, iMac G4, PM G4 DP 1.6 GHz, 2 x eMac 1 GHz, PBG4 12" 1.5 GHz, Mac SuperMini™ C2D 2.33GHz/802.11n/200GB, Mac Pro Quad Core 2.0 GHz/4GB.

ste6  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 5, 2008, 10:37 AM

Thanks! However I will need a few more details...
How does one disable the WiFi? If the time capsule is hooked up directly to my Mac how do I then get internet access?
Thanks again
Originally Posted by hwojtek View Post
Disable the WiFi and hook it up directly to your Mac using Ethernet.

ibook_steve
Nov 5, 2008, 10:49 AM

You connect your computer directly to your internet connection device (DSL or cable modem).

Security risk? What's the risk? Disable the transmission of the SSID (wireless network name) and nobody will ever know it's even there.

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

Simon
Posting Junkie
Nov 5, 2008, 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by ste6 View Post
How does one disable the WiFi?
AirPort Utility > Your TC > Manual Setup > Wireless > Wireless mode

If the time capsule is hooked up directly to my Mac how do I then get internet access?
You hook up both the Mac and the TC to the same switch. Done.
In principle you could also hook up the TC's WAN port to your Ethernet jack and then hook up the Mac to one of the TC's LAN ports.

geoff11
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 29, 2008, 09:12 AM

I've got a TC at home, it connect to internet, but i'm living so far from home. can i use it (like a hard drive) from different city via internet??? DNS? FTP? or any another way?

Simon
Posting Junkie
Dec 29, 2008, 10:33 AM

If you have another Mac at home it's quite easy.

1) DynDNS
2) SSH tunnel
3) AFP

All free and easy to manage.

Ted L. Nancy
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 29, 2008, 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by ibook_steve View Post
Security risk? What's the risk? Disable the transmission of the SSID (wireless network name) and nobody will ever know it's even there.
Yeah, seriously. This is the route to go, IMO. Stick it to the man!

you---><---man
10.7.1 on Mac Pro 8x2.8

geoff11
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 30, 2008, 07:44 PM

thanks.
i tried all of those, but i'm really stupid for this. can u explain to me shortly what i have to do to read my TC via interenet?
cheers

Simon
Posting Junkie
Dec 31, 2008, 04:01 AM

You already tried all of those and they didn't work? How not? What didn't work? If you want us to help you out you're going to have to be more specific.

I'm not going to write you an entire walk-through guide for DynDNS/SSH tunnels/remote AFP but if you search this board you can find one I wrote a while ago in a similar thread.

I can add a bit more detail though.

1) Get a DynDNS account and make sure the home Mac updates it with its WAN IP address. You'll need this to connect to your home Mac remotely.
2) Set up an ssh tunnel from the remote Mac to your home Mac. This is where you use the DynDNS hostname. Make sure port forwarding for ssh to your home Mac is enabled on your router. Forward your remote port to the TC's AFP port.
3) On the remote Mac open an AFP session to localhost:xyz where xyz is the forwarded port.

That's it. It really is quite simple. Let us know which step you're stuck on and what's going wrong.
( Last edited by Simon; Dec 31, 2008 at 04:09 AM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules